Gun storage

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Gun storage

Post by duncan61 » 10 Mar 2017, 12:04 pm

replace the dynabolts with 12mm nylon rawl plugs and screw in coach bolts.Dynabolts are for concrete and solid brick.If you get inspected and they give it a push and it wobbles they will have an issue
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 10 Mar 2017, 1:33 pm

scaredyet wrote:Do the cops check to see if they are tight, if not then it's sweet I don't need to do anything else

Forget the cops..... are YOU happy with the Job? If YOU can move the cabinet, and pry it out, then YOU should not be satisfied with the security of YOUR property.... if so.... remove and start again...

Coach screws for timber, Dynabolts (or similar) for brick or concrete ARE SECURE.... but install them properly.

Dynabolt - drill the correct hole so that the anchor can be pushed in 'with a little bit of force'.... oversied hole means they are useless....

For masonry you can also use the anka type screw.... I've use them for one safe only.... theyre quick to install and seem to be pretty foolproof (this fool anyway) but thats all my experience with them....

Coach screw (for timber studs) - use a decent size, go up 2 sizes than what you think you need....drill a pilot (particularly for hardwood) about shank size (not thread!) or a smidge smaller or else THEY WILL SNAP OFF....(yes... been there) 1/4inch ratchet driver is the go.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 10 Mar 2017, 3:06 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Any IT jobs there?? I am packing my bags..

Unfortunately, yes. I thought those people were going to eat it in 2000 but they made quite a comeback. Making sure our current products no longer work so they can sell us the same crap in a different dress.

I have friends in the business and they do well, many working for themselves.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by scaredyet » 10 Mar 2017, 4:09 pm

I watched a couple YouTube videos aand each one said to use the same size drill as the bolt you will use. So I bought 10mm bolt and 10mm drill. Lucky cause the holes on the back of my safe were 10mm as well. İf I try and use 12mm bolts this time I will have to make the holes in the safe bigger which I don't want to do.

I will keep as is because it's pretty solid, the only thing is that the nuts get tight but not too tight that it stops spinning.

İf you give the safe a pull it's not going anywhere.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 10 Mar 2017, 4:30 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
scaredyet wrote:Do the cops check to see if they are tight, if not then it's sweet I don't need to do anything else

Forget the cops..... are YOU happy with the Job? If YOU can move the cabinet, and pry it out, then YOU should not be satisfied with the security of YOUR property.... if so.... remove and start again...

:thumbsup:

Much better to satisfy yourself than the cops :lol:

Seriously though, my personal storage standard is substantially higher than the law requires of me !
After all the last thing that I would want is mine getting stolen, potentially giving the antis something to use against us... Just the way I look at it :unknown:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Title_II » 10 Mar 2017, 5:54 pm

I know I hail from a different culture, but my Aussie mates did once, too.

I don't want to step on any toes, but do you mates realize how absolutely absurd it is to be required to have the police come inside your home to inspect your firearm storage? It is an insult to human dignity. A human rights violation. I hope your kids haven't become numb to this because "it's always been that way." This garbage gets programmed into people.

You should be inspecting THEIR guns. Making sure they are properly maintained, what you spent your money on, and no more or no less than what is necessary for the job.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by darwindingo » 10 Mar 2017, 6:10 pm

scaredyet wrote:I watched a couple YouTube videos aand each one said to use the same size drill as the bolt you will use. So I bought 10mm bolt and 10mm drill. Lucky cause the holes on the back of my safe were 10mm as well. İf I try and use 12mm bolts this time I will have to make the holes in the safe bigger which I don't want to do.

I will keep as is because it's pretty solid, the only thing is that the nuts get tight but not too tight that it stops spinning.

İf you give the safe a pull it's not going anywhere.

If they are still spinning then they will certainly not be gaining optimum bite.. Quite likely a fair amount of bite, but just not as much as they would otherwise.

At the end of the day the onus is on you (as it is with the rest of us) to ensure that at the very least our respective storage receptacles, comply with the required standards specified under the act..

I'm not saying yours would not btw.. :unknown:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Dontworrybehappy » 10 Mar 2017, 6:57 pm

Yes, I would look up relevant rules in your state. They differ a lot state to state.
Dontworrybehappy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 10 Mar 2017, 8:19 pm

Title_II wrote:I know I hail from a different culture, but my Aussie mates did once, too.

I don't want to step on any toes, but do you mates realize how absolutely absurd it is to be required to have the police come inside your home to inspect your firearm storage? It is an insult to human dignity. A human rights violation. I hope your kids haven't become numb to this because "it's always been that way." This garbage gets programmed into people.

You should be inspecting THEIR guns. Making sure they are properly maintained, what you spent your money on, and no more or no less than what is necessary for the job.

Yes. SOME of us realise how ridiculous and insulting it is.... some people actually ENJOY the experience of being violated and home invaded by the po-lees..(you've read the posts around these parts)...

Most people dont understand that the set of laws that YOUR 'constitutional right to bear' originates from is ACTUALLY LAW RIGHT NOW AS WE SPEAK IN STATES OF AUS.....we however allowed the traitors to negate it with additional laws - of course I'm talking about the Bill of rights of 1688....

Aaaahhhh forgetit, go back to sleep sheeple.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Jandamurra » 11 Mar 2017, 10:35 am

Title_II wrote:I found a gun the other day. I was like, "Oh, cool!"

When people bring kids or toddlers over I have to take inventory and gather everything up. I keep most of the stuff in the safe. But I have a kitchen gun that my family knows where it is, it is a Mossberg 9200. My family is from Jersey and they are shotgun people because they can't hunt with rifles there (barf). Then I have the guns on my person (nothing to worry about) and a rifle or SMG. But every once in a while I take something out to admire it and end up sticking it somewhere, or leave a handgun in a range bag.

Oh, no motorcycle helmets. Our local cops are not even allowed to use radar. Some call us Pennsyltucky :D

Obviously your situation is a lot better than Oz.
Believe me, plenty of people here still have a gun or two off the books, whether they're licensed shooters or not.
Just out of curiosity, why aren't your police allowed to have radar?
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Jandamurra » 11 Mar 2017, 10:51 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Title_II wrote:I know I hail from a different culture, but my Aussie mates did once, too.

Yes. SOME of us realise how ridiculous and insulting it is.... some people actually ENJOY the experience of being violated and home invaded by the po-lees..(you've read the posts around these parts)...

Most people dont understand that the set of laws that YOUR 'constitutional right to bear' originates from is ACTUALLY LAW RIGHT NOW AS WE SPEAK IN STATES OF AUS.....we however allowed the traitors to negate it with additional laws - of course I'm talking about the Bill of rights of 1688....

Aaaahhhh forgetit, go back to sleep sheeple.

Someone here (was it you, Genesis?) showed the WA gov. website that cited the Bill of Rights including sn42 and its support of the right to keep and bear arms is still valid in that State.

IMHO, the main problem is that people are comfortable in what they think they know, so governments continue to get away with shafting the population.

I'm so glad we've got a few yanks here with their insights. Yes, it's weird that so many people are okay with home invasion by the peegs, 'coz that's what it is, like it or not.

For whatever reason, a lot of people don't value their privacy enough to object to complete strangers coming into their homes. It seems to be part of this mentality of pleasing authority and thereby obtaining some sort of validation for oneself from that. A lot of people never get beyond that. Some shooters actually like the post-PAM laws because they can feel superior to those who haven't jumped through the hoops. It's a though the more crap they have top go through, the better.

At least that's the way it seems to me.
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 11 Mar 2017, 2:05 pm

Jandamurra wrote:

When people bring kids or toddlers over I have to take inventory and gather everything up. I keep most of the stuff in the safe. But I have a kitchen gun that my family knows where it is, it is a Mossberg 9200. My family is from Jersey and they are shotgun people because they can't hunt with rifles there (barf). Then I have the guns on my person (nothing to worry about) and a rifle or SMG. But every once in a while I take something out to admire it and end up sticking it somewhere, or leave a handgun in a range bag.

Oh, no motorcycle helmets. Our local cops are not even allowed to use radar. Some call us Pennsyltucky :D

Believe me, plenty of people here still have a gun or two off the books, whether they're licensed shooters or not.

I don't know the history, but today it's basically because we don't want to turn police work into a revenue source for the municipality. Because then that's all they do, and it doesn't really help anyone.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Jandamurra » 15 Mar 2017, 3:13 pm

Title_II wrote:
Jandamurra wrote:

I don't know the history, but today it's basically because we don't want to turn police work into a revenue source for the municipality. Because then that's all they do, and it doesn't really help anyone.

Very interesting.
Am I wrong to guess that when someone is speeding, the police just use any other evidence that would be available, such as eyewitness testimony, including their own?
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Jandamurra » 15 Mar 2017, 3:37 pm

duncan61 wrote:I appreciate I am a plumbing contractor with all the drills and ability but serious people you have to buy or build a suitable storage container/gun safe that complies to the easily read instructions and bolt it to wall/ floor with 4 suitable bolts/coach screws.It can be done for $300AUD or less if you get a second hand gunsafe of gumtree.Takes about 1 hour
What is this emergency you need quick access,If you are having problems with cats or foxes keep you firearm loaded and with you.Its legal to have your lic firearm with you just dont leave it lying around for someone else to get and you are all good
.I remember how cool it was to have my 12g Greener on the wall above the fireplace but house breakins for drugs are on the up and it takes a bit of explaining where your shotguns gone.
.I had my safe ripped off the wall at Burringarrah remote Aborigional community.They used my plumbing tools to break it open in the bush and shot off all my ammo at the tip.I was not charged with anything and Meekatharra police recovered all my stuff by bargaining with the perps and I went and got it all back from the police station

You weren't charged with anything, but if you had so much as a bullet casing in the wrong place during a storage inspection, you'd have your license revoked.
Meanwhile, the people who did all this to you had what happen to them?
You say the police bargained for your stuff back (which you had to put together yourself with no assistance or compensation). OMG, the police had to bargain with the crims and you add that you weren't charged with anything, apparently accepting it all as par for the course these days.
You're a more patient man than I.
You wrote about how you used to have your shottie up on the wall but say break-ins are on the rise.
Might I suggest that if there was the same level of firearms freedom that there used to be, easier access for those who desire it would more than compensate for the return of guns to the walls of people's homes? I find it hard to believe that anyone still thinks the current storage requirements do anything but attract criminals to the homes of licensed gun owners. Plus, guns on the wall are there for you as well and may actually enhance home security.
You write-

What is this emergency you need quick access,If you are having problems with cats or foxes keep you firearm loaded and with you.Its legal to have your lic firearm with you just dont leave it lying around for someone else to get and you are all good

It might not be cats or foxes the LAFO is worried about. You appear to be confused as to what kind of situation might possibly arise for LAFO's to want realistic access to their firearms. There are several threads in this forum dealing with the topic. Have a look, it's makes for interesting reading.
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, and that includes ease of access.
Would you be "all good" if the police were to knock on your door unannounced for an inspection, and your guns and ammo weren't exactly where they were supposed to be?
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 15 Mar 2017, 7:03 pm

Jandamurra wrote:
Title_II wrote:
Jandamurra wrote:

Very interesting.
Am I wrong to guess that when someone is speeding, the police just use any other evidence that would be available, such as eyewitness testimony, including their own?

They can pace you, time you, or say, "That SOB was friggin flying so fast I could barely catch him!"

It tends to make cops leave people alone that might be breaking the speed limit but go after people that are really driving fast enough to be a danger. They are allowed to cite starting at 10 mph over the speed limit. But from a practical standpoint, they would probably only do that if they thought it was a menace. If they had radar guns or lasers they would all sit all day and bang people breaking the speed limit to raise money because it is a screen with a number on it, and the municipality paid for it for a reason. And the reason has nothing to do with safety.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by duncan61 » 15 Mar 2017, 7:47 pm

20170315_172211[1].jpg
20170315_172211[1].jpg (581.28 KiB) Viewed 6231 times
Jandamurra.Good points you make.I am packing at the moment to go south and have my.222 and 7mm rem mag on the bed.I am here so I can have them out as long or as much as I like however I cant go out and leave them lying around.I have just found out I am being picked up to do a plumbing quote and it took 3 minutes to lock them back in the safe.And yes the stolen gear up North was very mentally challenging and I left the community shortly after.I was grateful I had them secured correctly as another chap up here left his .223 in the shed and when it went missing he could do nothing but lament.We spend a lot of money on our fabulous rifles and gear so I like knowing they are stored in a safe place.At the dairy farm I worked at the bosses wife found her toddlers with great grandpas 303 pointing it at each other .He asked my advice and he put in a gun safe real quick.She was young and hated guns I could only go ducking near the farm house when I see her go out for the day.My 4 year old just walked in with a plastic hand gun for shooting zombies on a game and knew how to point it at my face and pull the trigger.No training required .go figure
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 16 Mar 2017, 9:02 am

Title_II wrote:
They can pace you, time you, or say, "That SOB was friggin flying so fast I could barely catch him!"

It tends to make cops leave people alone that might be breaking the speed limit but go after people that are really driving fast enough to be a danger. They are allowed to cite starting at 10 mph over the speed limit. But from a practical standpoint, they would probably only do that if they thought it was a menace. If they had radar guns or lasers they would all sit all day and bang people breaking the speed limit to raise money because it is a screen with a number on it, and the municipality paid for it for a reason. And the reason has nothing to do with safety.

In Victoria, Aus, the Police are by all definitions a revenue raising unit for the state.... they raise through speeding and red light camera..

If the limit is 60, and you exceed that limit - you're fined. They graciously allow an error (they call it something else, of I think 4km/h, but 1 kay over and you're done.

During 2015/16 speed and red light cameras raised/extorted $356Million.... it is no longer about 'safety'... its about revenue, to test the hypothesis, would there be any economic impact if the fines suddenly went to ZERO revenue? my oath there would.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Mar 2017, 10:42 am

Yeah, sorry there is no "allowance". I got fined for doing 82 in an 80 zone in the tunnel on coming off the , sh*t, what do you call it now, was the S.E freeway back then anyway. Camera offence, wrote a letter asking that surely this was an allowable error in the speedo of my vehicle, reply stated that there is NO ALLOWANCES. I was in a MONSTROUS KILLER, B-DOUBLE BEHEMOTH truck, maybe that is the difference. $369 fine for 2km/h, safety? You betcha!
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 16 Mar 2017, 12:07 pm

It is definatlly about the capitol raised.The police were going to stop issuing fines in protest to a pay deal and it was calculated that within 10 days they would not have fuel for the vehicles.It is a fact that they have benchmarks of revenue to be raised in a certain amount of time and get chatted if they dont make the amount allocated.dont speed
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2017, 2:02 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:If the limit is 60, and you exceed that limit - you're fined. They graciously allow an error (they call it something else, of I think 4km/h, but 1 kay over and you're done.

There's no grace involved. It's purely so you won't take it to court claiming their equipment is inaccurate, it might be out by one or two kph, but not likely to be out by more than that. You might get a 64/60 knocked down to 62/60 but the result will be the same to your pocket.

I have been done for 62/60 in Perth on a camera but I think they were having a blitz.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 16 Mar 2017, 2:05 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Yeah, sorry there is no "allowance". I got fined for doing 82 in an 80 zone in the tunnel on coming off the , sh*t, what do you call it now, was the S.E freeway back then anyway. Camera offence, wrote a letter asking that surely this was an allowable error in the speedo of my vehicle, reply stated that there is NO ALLOWANCES. I was in a MONSTROUS KILLER, B-DOUBLE BEHEMOTH truck, maybe that is the difference. $369 fine for 2km/h, safety? You betcha!

Holy crap!
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 16 Mar 2017, 2:08 pm

The really annoying thing is that the Australian Standard tolerances for speedos is something like 7km+-, so you can be sitting under the limit according to your speedo and still be clocked at over the speed limit.
This is according to a keen car club colleague i worked with some years ago. He got quite worked up about it when we were having the discussion.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2017, 2:33 pm

Gwion wrote:The really annoying thing is that the Australian Standard tolerances for speedos is something like 7km+-, so you can be sitting under the limit according to your speedo and still be clocked at over the speed limit.
This is according to a keen car club colleague i worked with some years ago. He got quite worked up about it when we were having the discussion.

The law doesn't say "80kph according to your speedo", the law is 80kph regardless of how you choose to measure it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 16 Mar 2017, 2:44 pm

Yes, but the Australian standard for the device required to measure your speed should influence the lee-way allowed for with infringement notices.
Beside, in Vic, it used to be 3km tolerance for infringements. Dunno when that changed.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Ratsmitglied » 16 Mar 2017, 2:49 pm

Except that the margin of error in the current standards is that the speedo can read up to 10% OVER, but not under the speed you are travelling

Regardless, speed cameras and police radar address blatant revenue raising devices, especially in Victoria

Edit: I had it arse about
Last edited by Ratsmitglied on 16 Mar 2017, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ratsmitglied
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 16 Mar 2017, 2:52 pm

My cousin once studied a traffic area, I think it involved a bridge. They were having lots of problems with speeding and instead of looking at it as a revenue generator they decided to look at it as a problem that needed to be solved.

They raised the speed limit.

People started driving slower. Given the freedom to drive at a reasonable speed, people were no longer interested in getting an extra 10 or 20 miles per hour over the speed limit. They made a decision to stay mostly within the law because it was practical, where as previously nobody gave a crap.

When I lived in Jersey as a youngster I carried a gun illegally. Jersey is pretty much like East Germany was. Having moved to The Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I no longer break laws. Even the stupid ones. I have freedom and I cherish it, and I respect the law.

Funny how that works.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Mar 2017, 2:54 pm

Just had a look at the thread heading, methinks we've gone off topic.......just a bit. :lol: Guilty your Honour :oops:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 16 Mar 2017, 3:05 pm

Ratsmitglied wrote:Except that the margin of error in the current standards is that the speedo can read up to 10% under, but not over the speed you are travelling

Regardless, speed cameras and police radar address blatant revenue raising devices, especially in Victoria

That sounds completely arse about. Surely it is better/safer to have the speedo reading 10% OVER the speed you are travelling and NOT under it!??!

Makes absolutely no sense!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 16 Mar 2017, 3:08 pm

Title_II wrote:My cousin once studied a traffic area, I think it involved a bridge. They were having lots of problems with speeding and instead of looking at it as a revenue generator they decided to look at it as a problem that needed to be solved.

They raised the speed limit.

People started driving slower. Given the freedom to drive at a reasonable speed, people were no longer interested in getting an extra 10 or 20 miles per hour over the speed limit. They made a decision to stay mostly within the law because it was practical, where as previously nobody gave a crap.

When I lived in Jersey as a youngster I carried a gun illegally. Jersey is pretty much like East Germany was. Having moved to The Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I no longer break laws. Even the stupid ones. I have freedom and I cherish it, and I respect the law.

Funny how that works.

Not the case in Tassy. Laws here are quite relaxed, in the large, but locals find it necessary to break as many laws as they can possibly get away with and quite a few beyond that point to the extent that Tas has the 2nd highest rate of crime, per capita, in Australia.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Ratsmitglied » 16 Mar 2017, 3:08 pm

Gwion wrote:
Ratsmitglied wrote:Except that the margin of error in the current standards is that the speedo can read up to 10% under, but not over the speed you are travelling

That sounds completely arse about. Surely it is better/safer to have the speedo reading 10% OVER the speed you are travelling and NOT under it!??!

Makes absolutely no sense!

Sorry, my mistake

Yes, the speedo can read up to 10% OVER the speed you're traveling.
Last edited by Ratsmitglied on 16 Mar 2017, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ratsmitglied
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Victorian gun laws