The antis are fishing heavily these days

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

The antis are fishing heavily these days

Post by Aster » 28 Feb 2017, 12:03 pm

Over the past couple of weeks there has been a marked increase in what appears to the moderator team as anti-gun persons trying to eke out information on the shooting community, or posing as members of the community and attempting to plant conversations or comments which would cast us in a negative light.

I expect most people have seen the kind of comments we're talking about sneak through on one site or another at times, seemingly innocent questions, or things asked out of harmless curiosity but which at their core clearly send the wrong message (and are often painfully obvious).

I assume the same thing same things are happening on other shooting channels, social networks etc. in line with what we're seeing here.

This is just a heads up more than anything else, so people are aware to help dispel/control this rubbish if/when they come across it on the web. As always members can report things to the mod team here if something slips through the cracks and onto Enough Gun.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Re: The antis are fishing heavily these days

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Feb 2017, 12:37 pm

I have seen the odd suss post but normally put it down to someone being a natural born idiot.

Could it be coming from certain anti gun politicians, mp's, greens and gca people as an organized fishing exercise or is it just hairy armpitted anti hunting types ?

Can we just string them along without incriminating ourselves, appearing to help someone jump through loopholes or casting ourselves in a negative light while letting them dig themselves a very deep hole before handing their information into the police.
Surely its possible by using pm's to communicate a well planned and well groomed setup to post public posted replies to these fake shooters?

It could be fun :thumbsup:

Also can we somehow become a group where each member has proved that they are a genuine firearms owner before we can post ?

Can admin check our credentials by checking face book accounts, club memberships, license numbers, photo's of licenses, a shot selfie video that includes a hello my name is ---- this is my rifle please accept me into your forum or state forum representatives that meet and greet before you can join? .... there's got to be a safe, simple and legal way to prove that you're a genuine licensed FA owner ?
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 28 Feb 2017, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 28 Feb 2017, 12:40 pm

I haven't seen anything that looked like it could be of ulterior motives.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Feb 2017, 12:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:I haven't seen anything that looked like it could be of ulterior motives.

I remember a "how many guns can I stockpile" question.

I think the best answer came from a regular forum user "why don't you just ask your anti gun mates?" :lol:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 28 Feb 2017, 12:55 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I haven't seen anything that looked like it could be of ulterior motives.

I remember a "how many guns can I stockpile" question.

I think the best answer came from a regular forum user "why don't you just ask your anti gun mates?" :lol:

:-)
How long ago was that?
Must've been before I joined.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ed9362 » 28 Feb 2017, 12:56 pm

usually the antis are trying to make us out to be paranoid redneck weirdos.
I think accusing new members of being government or media spies doesn't really help bust that myth.
I was under the impression that talk of illegal or anti social activity was discouraged here.
I think it would be wise to remind all members that this is a public forum which may or may not be monitored by media or law enforcement
I have been reading this forum for a few years now and I don't think we really have anything to hide. usually the dumb questions we get from new members are answered politely and in accordance with the ridiculous laws we have to work within.

im bored at work so I thought I would throw my 2c in
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 28 Feb 2017, 1:01 pm

If you're referring to here, we delete the content and remove the accounts as we find them so you wouldn't see it often.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Feb 2017, 1:08 pm

What happened to "conceal carry"sort of" post ?
Was that one of them or have I been blocked for my negative reply ?
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blackened » 28 Feb 2017, 1:12 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I have seen the odd suss post but normally put it down to someone being a natural born idiot.

There are a few borderline ones that we give the benefit of the doubt (sometimes incorrectly and action is taken later)

There are a few real gems though.

There was a registration and first post the other day asking "What is this and how do I get one?"

A part was pictured in its box, with the crystal clear label Glock full-auto conversion kit.

:roll:

Obviously anyone who had been interested in the Australian shooting scene for more than 2 minutes would know such a thing was unobtainable and illegal in a dozen different ways.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 28 Feb 2017, 1:15 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:What happened to "conceal carry"sort of" post ?
Was that one of them or have I been blocked for my negative reply ?

Topics aren't hidden from specific members, or members banned from specific topics.

You're a full fledged member of the forum or you're not.

If you no longer see a post you previously saw on the forum it is because it has been removed.

If you get banned you will be told as much when you return to the forum next. We don't do any of this 'ghost ban' stuff.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 28 Feb 2017, 1:16 pm

Blackened wrote:There are a few borderline ones that we give the benefit of the doubt (sometimes incorrectly and action is taken later)

There are a few real gems though.

There was a registration and first post the other day asking "What is this and how do I get one?"

A part was pictured in its box, with the crystal clear label Glock full-auto conversion kit.

:roll:

Obviously anyone who had been interested in the Australian shooting scene for more than 2 minutes would know such a thing was unobtainable and illegal in a dozen different ways.

Perhaps we should save those up in a forum of their own?

It's probably not a bad thing to remind our members that these wankers are always out to get us, rather than the mods keeping us insulated from it?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Feb 2017, 1:27 pm

Blackened wrote:Topics aren't hidden from specific members, or members banned from specific topics.

You're a full fledged member of the forum or you're not.

If you no longer see a post you previously saw on the forum it is because it has been removed.

If you get banned you will be told as much when you return to the forum next. We don't do any of this 'ghost ban' stuff.

Cheers :thumbsup:

I guess so far the most important point has been overlooked.

Thanks to all the admin team for keeping this place what it is, a bloody good place to chat.

It's too easy to forget about all the hard work that goes on behind the scenes.

Here's cheers :drinks:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by BluEsky » 28 Feb 2017, 1:38 pm

. :D OK. Dads Army here and on the Job Looking for Subversives! ;) :roll: So if we see any that look like this we will let you know! ;) 8-)

:D

Attachments
ce18bb6902b93a986e21db1463d65659.jpg
ce18bb6902b93a986e21db1463d65659.jpg (42.19 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
483899-greens-attack.jpg
483899-greens-attack.jpg (99.97 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
BluEsky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Feb 2017, 2:16 pm

:welcome:
Ed9362 wrote:usually the antis are trying to make us out to be paranoid redneck weirdos.
I think accusing new members of being government or media spies doesn't really help bust that myth.

Trust me ...
images (10).jpg
images (10).jpg (34.07 KiB) Viewed 5488 times

Ps. If anyone wants to download plans for an effective tinfoil hat that actually works, just pm me and I'll send you the plans when I'm not too busy dating my cousin.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Aster » 28 Feb 2017, 3:19 pm

Ed9362 wrote:I was under the impression that talk of illegal or anti social activity was discouraged here.

Not discouraged, prohibited. And swiftly followed by a ban.

Ed9362 wrote:I have been reading this forum for a few years now and I don't think we really have anything to hide. usually the dumb questions we get from new members are answered politely and in accordance with the ridiculous laws we have to work within.

I agree, the quality and integrity of our membership here is good.

To be crystal clear, we're not highlighting or calling out novice questions here, or people clarifying a complicated or confusing piece of legislation. It is of course, perfectly sensible to ask these things, and is one of the reasons the forum is here.

The kind of stuff we're talking about in this topic, is not that. Members won't see 99% of it because it gets picked up beforehand, you'll just have to trust us, it's out there ;)
Aster

-

Post by Supaduke » 28 Feb 2017, 3:23 pm

One of my favourites was the young fella that's "been shooting pistols for years, how do I get hold of some 30 round glock mags?"

/face palm
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Ed9362 » 28 Feb 2017, 3:28 pm

Aster wrote:I agree, the quality and integrity of our membership here is good.

To be crystal clear, we're not highlighting or calling out novice questions here, or people clarifying a complicated or confusing piece of legislation. It is of course, perfectly sensible to ask these things, and is one of the reasons the forum is here.

The kind of stuff we're talking about in this topic, is not that. Members won't see 99% of it because it gets picked up beforehand, you'll just have to trust us, it's out there ;)

Yeah, I guess you guys are doing such a good I never see these posts.
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aster » 28 Feb 2017, 3:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:Perhaps we should save those up in a forum of their own?

It's probably not a bad thing to remind our members that these wankers are always out to get us, rather than the mods keeping us insulated from it?

It's not a matter of insulating members, it's a matter of maintaining a high standard of content across the forum.

We intend this forum to be a resource, where new or returning visitors can land on any page and find accurate, useful information.

I understand the direction you're coming from, but maintaining an archive of content (even as an example of what not to do) which is erroneous, inflammatory or solely intended to provoke an illicit response, is not the ethos of this forum.
Aster

-

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Feb 2017, 7:36 pm

Goodonya Aster. As usual on the ball.
When I read or submit posts, I just think, " is it a good idea that a greeny or police read this" . If not don't submit or report it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 28 Feb 2017, 8:06 pm

I am fairly new and am enjoying this site.

I do not share the same veiws as some members regarding the current laws governing our sport. We all have our opinion and in the small group of people I hunt with I am possibly the most experienced when it comes to reloading and general ballistics.I have learned a huge amount from reading others posts like casting your own bullets and stuff.

I am not a big fan of the general public having easy access to handguns and if that gets up someones nose well thats how it is. I agree to if you wish to post about firearms and hunting you should prove that you do these things.

I have just renewed my license today and am happy to scan and post it.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Deacon » 28 Feb 2017, 9:07 pm

Solid work as always mods. Thanks fellas. The glock mags one was a classic :lol:
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Title_II » 28 Feb 2017, 10:03 pm

Ed9362 wrote:usually the antis are trying to make us out to be paranoid redneck weirdos.

Hey :mad:

I resemble that comment.

(Yanks don't count ;) )
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 28 Feb 2017, 10:52 pm

usually the antis are trying to make us out to be paranoid redneck weirdos.

I'm 2 outta 3 of these, which 2 I'll leave open to debate :D

We should attempt to always portray our chosen sport, hobby, pastime in a positive way so as not to add credibility to the anti's argument.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 28 Feb 2017, 11:32 pm

Saw something of interest yesterday a Young bloke in Victoria being booked by their gov for posting something on Facebook no one complained but the police read it and then he got a date in court so if they are reading peoples fb you can bet they read here
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 28 Feb 2017, 11:32 pm

In the country town I lived in the full bore shoots were regularly shot at the local range.It was a great day out for the whole town and really glued the community together.This is the kind of stuff I hope to share come Election day.I will avoid being drawn in to discussion on killing animals
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 01 Mar 2017, 5:32 am

There have been some seriously suspect questions and comments from time to time and a few more recently. Glad you guys are onto it!
About 6months ago, or so, there was a real spate of it for a few weeks. Anti gun agenda plant or mindless moron; I'm happy to see both go ASAP.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 01 Mar 2017, 6:39 am

pomemax wrote:Saw something of interest yesterday a Young bloke in Victoria being booked by their gov for posting something on Facebook no one complained but the police read it and then he got a date in court so if they are reading peoples fb you can bet they read here

They don't just read, they also post.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bladeracer » 01 Mar 2017, 6:50 am

pomemax wrote:Saw something of interest yesterday a Young bloke in Victoria being booked by their gov for posting something on Facebook no one complained but the police read it and then he got a date in court so if they are reading peoples fb you can bet they read here

It's much more likely somebody read it, took offence and passed it on to Police maliciously.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Mar 2017, 6:52 am

happyhunter wrote:They don't just read, they also post.

Yep. Most Police resources these days are now aimed at monitoring lawful citizens in hopes of tripping them up, instead of focusing on actually catching the unlawful.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 01 Mar 2017, 7:27 am

brett1868 wrote:I'm 2 outta 3 of these, which 2 I'll leave open to debate :D

We should attempt to always portray our chosen sport, hobby, pastime in a positive way so as not to add credibility to the anti's argument.

Anti and paranoid? :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation