Applying for gun license under 18

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Applying for gun license under 18

Post by ShotgunEnthusiast » 03 Mar 2017, 10:29 pm

I am wondering on a few questions if some people may answer for me.

I am waiting to buy my gun when I turn 18 so my father doesn't need to get a license, but I will be shooting my friends gun before that, I am currently living in Victoria and starting the process for getting a Category A and B license. I am going for my Safety Course on the 15th of this month, I want to know where online or your guys help of the rest of the process I need to take and to get my lisence under the age, do I need a parent to get a license with me, or just be present. Just main two questions are does a parent need to be present with a license? And what is the rest of the process?

I will be calling up a place, to get my genuine reason to shoot as well, do I need this as well, just so confused, help would be nice thanks guys. :D
ShotgunEnthusiast
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Applying for gun license under 18

Post by 308cool » 03 Mar 2017, 11:53 pm

There are no categories for junior licences. All you get is a permit that allows you to use cat a/b firearms under supervision of a person with a full licence.
- Browing X-Bolt .25-06 / Meopta Meopro 4-12x50
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by pete1 » 04 Mar 2017, 11:47 am

As 308cool said needs to adult with a firearm licence to supervise you, they must also have the correct category of licence for the firearm your using. Depending on who is running your local safety course, if they have good understanding of junour permits ask them any questions you have as it saves calling the licencing department for questions. You are most welcome to ask questions hear as well. :thumbsup:
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 Mar 2017, 12:49 pm

There are 3 categories ('reasons') of Junior Licence; AB / C(shotgun target) / H
You don't need a parent, but you do need an adult with the same licence category as your who is 'immediately' supervising you.
You parent / guardian will need to sign off your application along with a referee who is not related...

Good luck, study the book, as although not overly difficult - it is not easy.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by 308cool » 04 Mar 2017, 4:21 pm

I'll try and find a picture of my junior permit and post it here.
Cheers
- Browing X-Bolt .25-06 / Meopta Meopro 4-12x50
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Victorian gun laws