Updating Cat A license to A/B in Victoria

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Updating Cat A license to A/B in Victoria

Post by Robertl » 06 Mar 2017, 7:04 am

Hi guys,

I have my Victorian cat A licence, what do I have to do to upgrade it to A/B?

Thanks
Robertl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Updating Cat A license to A/B in Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 06 Mar 2017, 10:02 am

I think for Cat B, you need a new genuine reason for that licence. Eg feral pest control on private property.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 06 Mar 2017, 10:10 am

dpskipper wrote:I think for Cat B, you need a new genuine reason for that licence. Eg feral pest control on private property.

$15 to DPI I believe for intent to hunt on public land. No need for private property.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 06 Mar 2017, 11:31 am

Nothing wrong with the reason i provided. but yes your right you can use hunting on crown land as a reason.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 06 Mar 2017, 11:48 am

dpskipper wrote:Nothing wrong with the reason i provided. but yes your right you can use hunting on crown land as a reason.

Apologies, I didn't mean there's anything wrong. I just mean, for those without access, there's that option...
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 Mar 2017, 4:03 pm

The 'reasons' for applying for a cat A or cat B are the same...... So all you do Robertl, is sent an email to LRD and request the change; the addition of Cat B to your lic, no additional hoops... they'll send you an invoice for the difference (I believe it would be a few dollars more).....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by darwindingo » 07 Mar 2017, 10:16 pm

If I may ask, what lead you to only check the A and not the A&B from the get go ? not having a shot at you, just curious why.

Btw... Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 Mar 2017, 7:59 am

There is really no reason really, I guess some say "Oh, I only 'need' a 22" :lol: ..... perhaps the few dollars less for the lic; $228 vs $264 (5yrs) perhaps thats enough reason for some??
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by darwindingo » 08 Mar 2017, 11:46 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:There is really no reason really, I guess some say "Oh, I only 'need' a 22" :lol: ..... perhaps the few dollars less for the lic; $228 vs $264 (5yrs) perhaps thats enough reason for some??

I 100% agree Gen, one of the reasons I asked this member such a question is that I was recently in a police station in Vic and personally observed an example of a potential new shooter that was asking questions .... Being advised almost, pressured to just start out with a cat A license....... :problem: :?

When I butted in :D and called the officer out and recommended the applicant to select A&B straight up , I was immediately requested to provide identification :shock: I do not consider that I did anything other than to offer the new shooter sound advice.....The Interrogation I received as a result really made me think :wtf: ??

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Mar 2017, 7:02 am

darwindingo wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:There is really no reason really, I guess some say "Oh, I only 'need' a 22" :lol: ..... perhaps the few dollars less for the lic; $228 vs $264 (5yrs) perhaps thats enough reason for some??

I 100% agree Gen, one of the reasons I asked this member such a question is that I was recently in a police station in Vic and personally observed an example of a potential new shooter that was asking questions .... Being advised almost, pressured to just start out with a cat A license....... :problem: :?

When I butted in :D and called the officer out and recommended the applicant to select A&B straight up , I was immediately requested to provide identification :shock: I do not consider that I did anything other than to offer the new shooter sound advice.....The Interrogation I received as a result really made me think :wtf: ??

Papers please...... you entered the Stasi HQ....I would have said no....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by darwindingo » 09 Mar 2017, 10:47 am

Yeah I probably should have. I can say the officer wasn't very impressed when I asked him to sign off on an itemised list of the content of the wallet I was handing in. :lol:

I sent it to the email that I got off the blokes business card to let him know where his wallet was and just in case anything listed was missing when he went to collect it. :thumbsup:

:drinks:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Return to Victorian gun laws