Good news for W.A.shooters

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Good news for W.A.shooters

Post by duncan61 » 08 Mar 2017, 5:11 pm

I have just received a call from D-Paw in Bunbury and sports shooting groups now have access to do pest management in state forests.There is a lot of red tape or an Individual could join one of the 2 approved groups with 4 more groups soon to be approved.The program has been pushed by Rick Mazza of SFFP and has been signed off on.I intend to create my own group.It will be run in conjuction with DPaw programs so its not a free for all but its a start.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Re: Good news for W.A.shooters

Post by Empie » 08 Mar 2017, 10:02 pm

On paper it seems like a step in the right direction. Time will tell if as with the WA firearms laws - the red tape of the system is designed to discourage involvement. Maybe one day there will be option for those hunters who's program makes it difficult for them to align with a group can still get out there & have some impact on the vermin infesting crown land. Such a big state, & so few people, though such regulation on outdoor pursuits.
Empie
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Mar 2017, 10:49 pm

Hmmm.... interesting. Veerryyy interesting... any idea when it might get up and running, Duncan?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 09 Mar 2017, 12:37 am

Right now.The first question I asked is this a pilot or has it begun.To register as an incorporated shooting group is complicated but doable.The chap I spoke with is not happy about it but they have locked up the land for long enough.The big deal was getting the government bodies to accept there is a pest/vermin problem.Cats dont eat baits we all agree on that.The dog baits wont kill a pig and the jury is out on if foxes take baits.It will be heavily regulated at the beginning but spotlighting would work and there is a lot of state forest
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 02 Apr 2017, 10:42 pm

Hi duncan I was just wondering if you have any info on this pest managment program and anyway I could become involved

Cheers Sawyers
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 03 Apr 2017, 2:27 pm

Yes I do.I contacted the president off SSAAWA and they are one of the approved groups.Its done as a job at specific times and to be part join SSAAWA and get involved.I will be joining as starting my own incorporated body will be a lot of work and the Insurance is expensive
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Wobble » 04 Apr 2017, 3:42 pm

Empie wrote:Time will tell if as with the WA firearms laws - the red tape of the system is designed to discourage involvement.

Yup. How many people are actually able to get involved is the trick.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws