Process to buy a shotgun barrel

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Process to buy a shotgun barrel

Post by juststarting » 13 Mar 2017, 12:14 am

Morning all

I want to buy the 20" Adler barrel because I have no use for the damn thing and this way I may as well turn it into a mean looking dedicated slug slinger :) Why? Because I can...

Anyway, the question is, what's the process (localised to VIC)? Same as a rifle, PTA, etc? Do I just rock up and pick one up?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Process to buy a shotgun barrel

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 Mar 2017, 1:51 am

G'day juststarting,
Just hand over the money. Barrel is not the registered item here, only the action, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 13 Mar 2017, 2:05 am

Ta
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Mar 2017, 9:12 am

only in NewSouth do you 'register' a barrel..... :lol:

Got a hacksaw?? :unknown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Mar 2017, 10:28 am

bentaz wrote:
only in NewSouth do you 'register' a barrel..... :lol:

Got a hacksaw?? :unknown:

Yeah, no real reason not to lop the end off the one you've got, legally you can shorten it to 50cm / 20in.
Or get a smith to do it and get it ported at the same time.

Yeh, you can shorten to 19.7inches (50cm)..... but if you go to 19.6inches... you could face 4yrs in the 'pen'... even if you maintain the minimum overall length (proves how utterly fubared our gun laws are)...you could buy an 18inch shotty... but if you diy you're in the crap...

LOP it, stick a nice rifle sight... and she's deer ready (I love the fluoro green front/rear sights on the Boito)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by juststarting » 13 Mar 2017, 11:41 am

Actually, that didn't even occur to me... Will call one of them and see how much it is. I recon cheaper than a new barrel. Thanks.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 13 Mar 2017, 11:51 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:only in NewSouth do you 'register' a barrel..... :lol: :

Who gave you that gem of misinformation
Just bought a new barrel for a omark from Victoria and aust post delivered to the house and had a smith fit it nothing to do with far at all
Funny thing is in NSW yo can buy an action then a barrel only time far gets to know is when you join them together so the gunsmith told me he has to give them a number for it then
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Mar 2017, 1:31 pm

pomemax wrote:
only in NewSouth do you 'register' a barrel..... :lol: :

Who gave you that gem of misinformation
Just bought a new barrel for a omark from Victoria and aust post delivered to the house and had a smith fit it nothing to do with far at all
Funny thing is in NSW yo can buy an action then a barrel only time far gets to know is when you join them together so the gunsmith told me he has to give them a number for it then

So you had the barrel delivered to YOUR address......you know that unless you're a licensed dealer or smith that might be worth a $5,500 fine :lol: sorry shouldnt laugh, but FAR might come a knockin now that you've told them... and possession of a 'spare barrel' is also a $5,500 'donation' to the state coffers... perhaps it is just misinfo....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Cryptic » 13 Mar 2017, 3:16 pm

Taken from NSW police website for you to interpret.

Screenshot_20170313-151025.jpg
Screenshot_20170313-151025.jpg (561.09 KiB) Viewed 2970 times

Screenshot_20170313-151159.jpg
Screenshot_20170313-151159.jpg (204.28 KiB) Viewed 2970 times
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 13 Mar 2017, 11:52 pm

I didnt ask what forms the Gunsmith would have fill out when he changed the barrel but i do have a copy of that form he filled out and i would be licensed for the barrel as I have a few 308 and yes i did ring far to ask about the barrel coming here in the post because i thought like it has to go to the gunsmith they said not a part (barrel or stock no problem ) full gun or mag yes
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Mar 2017, 9:32 am

pomemax wrote:I didnt ask what forms the Gunsmith would have fill out when he changed the barrel but i do have a copy of that form he filled out and i would be licensed for the barrel as I have a few 308 and yes i did ring far to ask about the barrel coming here in the post because i thought like it has to go to the gunsmith they said not a part (barrel or stock no problem ) full gun or mag yes

Good that you covered your bases, i understood FAR were 'not involved'....

As far as the police interpretation / advice.... the FA is completely vague and refers to a 'barrel'... and mailing it. It doesnt define a chambered or threaded, just a barrel which could be a rifled tube, could be a tube of steel.... when they provide their 'policy' or 'guidelines' that is their interpretation... not the law.

The police advice i would take to NOT entirely accord with the FA....if you had the chambered rifle... plus the 'spare' barrel....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Return to Victorian gun laws