Moving to Vic from NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Moving to Vic from NSW

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 Apr 2017, 9:52 pm

juststarting wrote:Next renewal, OMFG I am going to tick them boxes so hard, so long.

or you could drop Licensing services a quick email, with attached 'evidence' which they may already have (say club membership)... and be instantly (would you believe soonishly) be additionally endorsed...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by juststarting » 06 Apr 2017, 9:56 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
juststarting wrote:Next renewal, OMFG I am going to tick them boxes so hard, so long.

or you could drop Licensing services a quick email, with attached 'evidence' which they may already have (say club membership)... and be instantly (would you believe soonishly) be additionally endorsed...

Good advise, I've actually done that ;) But that does not preclude me from my previous statement lol
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2017, 10:17 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:thats why you should tick ALL the boxes when applying or renewing your longarm licence.

I agree there's no reason not to do both.
But the only reason I can see that I would ever need "Target Shooting" on my licence would be if I ever wanted to have a huge shooting session with more than five people and for more than three hours, until that point I can't see a reason to have it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2017, 11:10 am

bladeracer wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:thats why you should tick ALL the boxes when applying or renewing your longarm licence.

I agree there's no reason not to do both.
But the only reason I can see that I would ever need "Target Shooting" on my licence would be if I ever wanted to have a huge shooting session with more than five people and for more than three hours, until that point I can't see a reason to have it.

I emailed Firearms yesterday to clarify this, and just received a phone call.
For somebody that only has "Hunting" listed on their licence that wants to add "Target" you simply email a copy of your SSAA membership card (or any other target shooting organisation) to them at licensingregulation@police.vic.gov.au including your licence details. They'll update your licence and send you a bill in the mail. I think he said $20?
However, he agreed with me that there is no need for "Target" unless you are intending to partake of large shooting sessions on private property - ie. fitting the requirements of Reg 22. He says the most common situation in his experience is a group getting together to shoot clays. Everything else you're likely to want to do with your Cat A/B firearms in Victoria only requires "Hunting" on your licence.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Apr 2017, 1:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:....However, he agreed with me that there is no need for "Target" unless you are intending to partake of large shooting sessions on private property - ie. fitting the requirements of Reg 22. He says the most common situation in his experience is a group getting together to shoot clays. Everything else you're likely to want to do with your Cat A/B firearms in Victoria only requires "Hunting" on your licence.

Doesnt make sense....large shooting sessions??..... if you EVER wish to partake in ANY target shooting on ANY private property..... you MUST have target endorsement..... if of course you want to operate by the book....

I think there are thousands of licence holder in VIC.... who are very far from a formal approved club range.... probably have PP and/or hunting only on their licence, might operate or own hundreds of acres of farm or more yet are NOT PERMITTED (legally) to shoot at anything other than fur/feather. So even these guys NEED target/sport....

Unfortunately.... I feel that if licensing services say you DO need something, then you probably DON'T... and vice versa.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2017, 1:14 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Doesnt make sense....large shooting sessions??..... if you EVER wish to partake in ANY target shooting on ANY private property..... you MUST have target endorsement..... if of course you want to operate by the book....

I think there are thousands of licence holder in VIC.... who are very far from a formal approved club range.... probably have PP and/or hunting only on their licence, might operate or own hundreds of acres of farm or more yet are NOT PERMITTED (legally) to shoot at anything other than fur/feather. So even these guys NEED target/sport....

Unfortunately.... I feel that if licensing services say you DO need something, then you probably DON'T... and vice versa.

The website indicates that you only need "Target" if your shooting enters the requirements of Reg 22, until then it is not "target shooting", just recreational shooting from what I can make out.

I guess it comes down to a definition of "target shooting", but you can definitely shoot at targets on private property with just "Hunting" on your licence, that is specified in numerous places. It annoys me when official departments respond by phone rather than provide answers in writing though.
Attachments
Victoria genuine reasons table.JPG
Victoria genuine reasons table.JPG (110.79 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2017, 1:19 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Doesnt make sense....large shooting sessions??..... if you EVER wish to partake in ANY target shooting on ANY private property..... you MUST have target endorsement..... if of course you want to operate by the book....

Can you offer a link to the law that prevents people from shooting on private property unless they have "Target" as a reason on their licence?
I know that for Cat C firearms for pest control you cannot take them to a range to practice and the law specifically states you can only practice your marksmanship on the property for which that firearm is licenced for use.
Attachments
Cat C practice private property only.JPG
Cat C practice private property only.JPG (30.56 KiB) Viewed 5396 times
Last edited by bladeracer on 07 Apr 2017, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Apr 2017, 1:30 pm

bladeracer wrote:....The website indicates that you only need "Target" if your shooting enters the requirements of Reg 22, until then it is not "target shooting", just recreational shooting from what I can make out.

I guess it comes down to a definition of "target shooting", but you can definitely shoot at targets on private property with just "Hunting" on your licence, that is specified in numerous places. It annoys me when official departments respond by phone rather than provide answers in writing though.

Reg 22 relates to target shooting on private property.... period..... the 5people/duration bit relate to whether or not you must advise the closest police station...

So, 'technically' 1 bloke shooting 1 single 22 round at a target must comply with reg 22 fully, distance, backstop etc

sport = target = recreation...
Hunting = recreation BUT NOT target....

Hunting endorsement DOES NOT ALLOW target shooting on private property.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2017, 1:39 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Reg 22 relates to target shooting on private property.... period..... the 5people/duration bit relate to whether or not you must advise the closest police station...

So, 'technically' 1 bloke shooting 1 single 22 round at a target must comply with reg 22 fully, distance, backstop etc

That is not how I read the table, and not how the officer at Vic Firearms reads it either, and it contradicts numerous instances where it is specifically allowed to shoot on private land without having to be hunting. The first part of a sentence cannot be read without the last part. I would expect that if Reg 22 covers all non-hunting on private property, the long list of requirements would include "All participants must hold a firearms licence with "Target" as their genuine reason.".
As I asked already, can you offer any parts of the law that agree with your interpretation?
Can you refer me to the penalty for target shooting on private property?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 07 Apr 2017, 2:51 pm

What is the down side of having target on your licence?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2017, 3:05 pm

Gwion wrote:What is the down side of having target on your licence?

None that I'm aware of.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 07 Apr 2017, 3:16 pm

My point exactly.... Why not!?!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2017, 3:27 pm

Gwion wrote:My point exactly.... Why not!?!

If it made sense then it wouldn't be a gun law :-)

I learned today that it is illegal for me to take any firearms with me to visit my brother in ACT. The only reason I can take a firearm into ACT is to compete in a specific competition, and the firearm must comply with ACT laws. There is no hunting and no recreational shooting in ACT at all, except at the approved ranges.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 07 Apr 2017, 3:40 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gwion wrote:My point exactly.... Why not!?!

......../// The only reason I can take a firearm into ACT is to compete in a specific competition, and the firearm must comply with ACT laws. There is no hunting and no recreational shooting in ACT at all, except at the approved ranges.

Bloody hell! That's just nuts!

Just another reason to never move anywhere remotely near to Canberra!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Apr 2017, 4:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:Reg 22 relates to target shooting on private property.... period..... the 5people/duration bit relate to whether or not you must advise the closest police station...

That is not how I read the table, and not how the officer at Vic Firearms reads it either, and it contradicts numerous instances where it is specifically allowed to shoot on private land without having to be hunting. The first part of a sentence cannot be read without the last part. I would expect that if Reg 22 covers all non-hunting on private property, the long list of requirements would include "All participants must hold a firearms licence with "Target" as their genuine reason.".
As I asked already, can you offer any parts of the law that agree with your interpretation?
Can you refer me to the penalty for target shooting on private property?

Do you have a specific level of retardation??? Are you 'on the spectrum'?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2017, 5:04 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Do you have a specific level of retardation??? Are you 'on the spectrum'?

Ignoring the personal abuse I'll take that as no, you can't support your interpretation.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Apr 2017, 5:13 pm

bladeracer wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:Do you have a specific level of retardation??? Are you 'on the spectrum'?

Ignoring the personal abuse I'll take that as no, you can't support your interpretation.

I would never abuse, twas an honest question.

You want to know the penalty for using your licence contrary to the 'genuine reason'?

The reg applies to all participants, as does the use / endorsement matrix....

heres the Act, and the Regs, go nuts

.....I'm off to commence Friday evening celebrations...later bro. :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2017, 8:42 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I would never abuse, twas an honest question.

You want to know the penalty for using your licence contrary to the 'genuine reason'?

The reg applies to all participants, as does the use / endorsement matrix....

heres the Act, and the Regs, go nuts

.....I'm off to commence Friday evening celebrations...later bro. :thumbsup:

Asking if I have a "specific level of retardation" was an honest question?
Instead of directing me to the Regs and Act which clearly I am already referring you to, can you point me at anything that agrees with your contention, or an offence for not doing so, or a penalty for such offence?
If you can't then just say so.
After their phone call I emailed again asking for the response _in writing_, as that is after all the point of emailing them. I don't expect to hear back before Monday though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Apr 2017, 9:04 pm

Can't hunt in ACT. I find that difficult to believe.

BTW. Stay cool this is a public forum. Not a boxing ring.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2017, 9:31 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Can't hunt in ACT. I find that difficult to believe.

BTW. Stay cool this is a public forum. Not a boxing ring.

Me too.
The officer at ACT Firearms Registry said that the entire ACT is land leased from the crown.
Lessees can shoot on their properties to control pests, but not to hunt or for recreation, and they can't allow others to shoot on the property either.
I have no idea what would happen if somebody applied to lease property purely as a commercial hunting enterprise.

My questions:
1. Can I come up and shoot with my brother who is ACT licenced?
Yes, but I can't bring my own firearms unless I need them to shoot specific competitions. I can shoot with my brother, using his firearms, but only on approved ranges.
2. If I come up to compete can I use my own firearms that are not ACT-legal?
No, all firearms must comply with ACT regulations.
3. Can I build an MDT Chassis for my brother by drilling and pinning an M4 collapsible stock fixed in place at the same length as the original rifle (NSW/ACT you're not allowed to shorten a firearm)?
Don't think so but I will have to email it and she'll pass it to "my boss".
4. Alternatively, can I build an MDT Chassis using a fixed M16-style stock?
Don't know, will have to pass it on to the boss also.
5. Is there any hunting in ACT?
No, none at all. ACT firearms owners hunt in NSW.

I forgot to ask if I'm allowed to loan my firearms to my brother so he can take them home and use them. I understand they would have to be ACT-legal but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was no regardless.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 Apr 2017, 10:39 am

36 Offence not to comply with licence conditions
(1) A person who is the holder of a longarm licence for category A or B longarms must comply with any conditions to which the licence is subject.Penalty: 60 penalty units or 12 months imprisonment.

------------------
SCHEDULE 1
GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR LICENCES UNDER PART 2
3 Any firearms held under the licence must not be used for any reason other than the reasons authorised by the licence.

So.... your question was whether YOUR licence, that says 'hunting' can be used for target shooting on private property....

NOTING noting that a Special Condition (FA) provides that ANY A/B longarm licence permits APPROVED range use...

SCHEDULE 2
SPECIAL CONDITIONS FOR LICENCES UNDER PART 2
1 Longarm licences for category A or B longarms
(3) The holder is authorised to carry or use a longarm, the carriage or use of which is authorised by the licence, on an approved shooting range.

As I said... tick all the boxes, if you're missing one, amend....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Next

Return to New South Wales gun laws