Posting a Firearm!

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Posting a Firearm!

Post by Bushie » 09 Apr 2017, 12:01 pm

Hey fellas hope everyone's having a good weekend on the range, just wanted to chuck a quick question by yous, does anyone know what the fees are like for posting a firearm interstate, I'm assuming weight + size + dangerous goods?
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Posting a Firearm!

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2017, 12:33 pm

Bushie wrote:Hey fellas hope everyone's having a good weekend on the range, just wanted to chuck a quick question by yous, does anyone know what the fees are like for posting a firearm interstate, I'm assuming weight + size + dangerous goods?

Not dangerous goods.
Just normal post - about $60 usually covers it I've found, even from Perth.
Some states only allow dealers to post firearms and they'll have lots of expertise.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Apr 2017, 12:36 pm

Shipping - max $75
If you're on the receiving end - $9 PTA
Some dodgy interstate transfer fee - $65ish
And something​ else, I don't recall now. But all up, if you are the recipient it should be no more than $125 give or take.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Apr 2017, 12:37 pm

You buying or selling :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Apr 2017, 1:41 pm

Our 'friends' up north used to charge 30 or 35buck to send a gun to Vic.... so i'd say thats closer to the 'cost' of the exercise, but note that if you don't have a dealers licence you CAN NOT post a firearm, I'm sure that is consistent across the land....

From a dealer, you'll add their 'handling/packaging' fee to the actual postage...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Bushie » 09 Apr 2017, 7:38 pm

juststarting wrote:You buying or selling :)

Looking at buying a Ruger Amrican 223, way cheaper up up at QLD I've seen so far!
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Apr 2017, 7:42 pm

That's pretty easy. Factor in $135 in shipping and dodgy transfer fees, +/- $15.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by knowsnothin » 09 Apr 2017, 8:34 pm

I'm pretty sure it has to go registered post.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Apr 2017, 1:58 am

Bushie wrote:
juststarting wrote:You buying or selling :)

Looking at buying a Ruger Amrican 223, way cheaper up up at QLD I've seen so far!

Get a price from your local first. By the time you add shipping and fees it might well be cheaper.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Vati » 10 Apr 2017, 11:54 am

Bushie wrote:I'm assuming weight + size + dangerous goods?

'Dangerous goods' refers to materials that are explosive, flammable, toxic, oxidising, corrosive etc.

A rifle is 'safe' :thumbsup:
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 10 Apr 2017, 12:01 pm

Vati wrote:
Bushie wrote:I'm assuming weight + size + dangerous goods?

'Dangerous goods' refers to materials that are explosive, flammable, toxic, oxidising, corrosive etc.

A rifle is 'safe' :thumbsup:

Tell that to the railways.... in Vic you can not travel with a gun because you can't carry 'Dangerous goods'..... which THEY classify a gun.... YES, I know.... :roll:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 10 Apr 2017, 2:35 pm

Depends how long and how heavy the package is, as well as origin and destination.

From BFN in WA to BFN in QLD will cost more than from City in Vic to City in WA.I was very surprised when it only cost $13 to send a rifle from Nth Tas to Hobart.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Apr 2017, 3:30 pm

Don't forget Insurance..."must have"
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 10 Apr 2017, 4:12 pm

I don't think insurance is necessary. Unless that's what you meant by having it in quotes.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Apr 2017, 4:31 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Tell that to the railways.... in Vic you can not travel with a gun because you can't carry 'Dangerous goods'..... which THEY classify a gun.... YES, I know.... :roll:

If they want to have a policy of not carrying firearms that's their prerogative I guess. But I don't think they can simply redefine any object as "Dangerous" and them claim it doesn't comply with the Dangerous Goods Act.

I had a look and they don't refer to the Dangerous Goods Act at all, it's just how they've worded it. I would bet many more people are injured by lots of other crap like bicycles, prams and drug addicts.

"Dangerous goods

Items likely to injure or endanger other persons are not permitted to be carried on passenger vehicles in Victoria.

Examples of such items prohibited from carriage on passenger vehicles include:

Flammable liquids and gases (petrol, kerosene, LPG, propane)
Firearms
Explosives
Corrosive or acidic chemicals"

https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/getting-around/luggage-bikes-and-animals/luggage-allowance/

I have been on a train twice so am probably not an expert.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Apr 2017, 12:09 pm

Postage insurance - There was a case recently where a firearm was purchased from a well known site and posted via Australian Post to the buyers nominated licenced firearms dealer and when received, the stock was in 2 pieces, cracked through at the pistol grip. No insurance cover and A.P. denied any responsibility. i can't find the link but what do you do?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Apr 2017, 12:31 pm

Insurance is insurance. If you are prepared to take a loss on the item don't insure it.
Bear in mind that a "fragile" sticker on a parcel is taken as a challenge by a lot of handling staff in the parcel distribution industry. Years of "overnight" and "air-mail" transport experience talking here. "Air-mail" was a term used by the dock hands to describe how it was put in the back my truck, i.e. thrown through the air.
However, unlike people who live in bushfire or flood prone areas who don't want to pay for it, I doubt there will be any government hand-out or public appeal to compensate you for your loss. :sarcasm:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Apr 2017, 12:39 pm

I sent a brand new Honda Fireblade fuel tank to Italy, with insurance. It arrived dented of course.
Insurance required him to send it back to me before I could even lodge a claim with AusPost, clearly not worth the expense. I gave him a nice discount for the damage and we both went on with our lives.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Apr 2017, 12:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:Tell that to the railways.... in Vic you can not travel with a gun because you can't carry 'Dangerous goods'..... which THEY classify a gun.... YES, I know.... :roll:

If they want to have a policy of not carrying firearms that's their prerogative I guess. But I don't think they can simply redefine any object as "Dangerous" and them claim it doesn't comply with the Dangerous Goods Act.

I had a look and they don't refer to the Dangerous Goods Act at all, it's just how they've worded it. I would bet many more people are injured by lots of other crap like bicycles, prams and drug addicts.

"Dangerous goods

Items likely to injure or endanger other persons are not permitted to be carried on passenger vehicles in Victoria.

Examples of such items prohibited from carriage on passenger vehicles include:

Flammable liquids and gases (petrol, kerosene, LPG, propane)
Firearms
Explosives
Corrosive or acidic chemicals"

https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/getting-around/luggage-bikes-and-animals/luggage-allowance/

I have been on a train twice so am probably not an expert.

I don't believe it's their prerogative, not at all, not for a second... because they run the PUBLIC transport system, as such anything lawfully carried SHOULD be permissible on a PUBLIC transport...other than actual DANGEROUS articles...... they can't make up to rules on 'moral' emotive personal or other grounds....

For completeness, here is my brief exchange on the matter with PTV until it got all too hard for their heads to process;

Dear <<Genesis93>>,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the transport of firearms on the V/Line train network.

I understand your frustration and the inconvenience this policy has caused you. I can confirm that you are unable under law to travel with your firearm even if it is not loaded and in a gun case.

I have included the relevant regulations that this policy is covered under for your reference below.

Dangerous goods & accompanied items

Reference: 2011 Victorian Fares & Conditions Manual

For the safety of conductors and customers alike, items likely to injure or endanger other persons are not permitted on V/Line services.
Dangerous goods as defined in the Victorian Dangerous Goods Act 1985 and the Victorian Dangerous Goods Transportation Regulations 1987 include the following items:

 Flammable liquids and gases (petrol, kerosene, LPG, propane)
 Firearms
 Explosives
 Corrosive or acidic chemicals
 Live animals (excluding domestic cats & dogs in approved containers & Assistance Animal Pass holders.)
 Plants
 Biological wastes
 Perishable items
 Any item that emits foul odour or has the potential to leak fluids

Thank you for your feedback and I apologise that we are unable to allow you to travel with a firearm.

and my further response that evaporated into the 'ether'

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it,

My query relates to not only train but also bus and metro travel,

I trust you will however be patient with me as I believe this is a serious concern;

With regard to your response, firearms are not dangerous goods, they are not defined as a dangerous good under the Act and there is no such regulation as the "Victorian Dangerous Goods Transportation Regulations 1987". There was a revoked Dangerous Goods (Transport) Regulations as well as a revoked 'Dangerous Goods (Transport by Rail) Regulations 1998'. The current regulation is the 'Dangerous Goods (Transport by Road or Rail) Regulations 2008' which neither makes reference or definition of a firearm as a dangerous item.

You have referred to a "2011 Victorian Fares & Conditions Manual" which I could not locate; I did however locate a 2014 issue 'Victorian fares and ticketing manual', is this the same or update document??

Within this document there is the reference to a firearm as 'Dangerous goods' and as such "likely to injure or endanger other persons" This definition appears arbitrary and incorrect, as it is the only reference where a firearm is referred as such. It is absolutely ridiculous (for the authors) to claim and then stipulate in a PTV manual that firearms, specifically unloaded and secured firearms in carriage represent a threat and "likely to injure or endanger other persons".

Please advise how and why this determination had been attained.

As it stands, I firmly believe this classification is unjustified and incorrect and request it be removed from the 'Victorian fares and ticketing manual'.

I further highlight, for information and consideration, that firearm licence holder are the most stringently regulated sector of our community, with firearm use and carriage licences the most difficult to obtain and a privilege most easily lost. The carriage of prohibited / illegal / unregistered firearms is an offence and controlled under the Firearms Act 1996 and associated regulations.

Thanks again.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by juststarting » 13 Apr 2017, 12:51 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Postage insurance - There was a case recently where a firearm was purchased from a well known site and posted via Australian Post to the buyers nominated licenced firearms dealer and when received, the stock was in 2 pieces, cracked through at the pistol grip. No insurance cover and A.P. denied any responsibility. i can't find the link but what do you do?

I didn't think about that. Good point.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws