How many PTA's?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

How many PTA's?

Post by Conallin24 » 14 Apr 2017, 7:43 pm

Hi there first post, My dad has recently gotten back into shooting and sent his license application. It should return any day now. His brother has some firearms Cat a and b that he doesn't want anymore or they originally belonged to dad. How many PTA's can he send at once? We are in Vic and we asked 3 local shops this question. 1 said 2, another said 3 and the last said 5. I'm hoping someone could shed some light on this for me. Thank you all.
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: How many PTA's?

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 12:17 pm

Conallin24 wrote:Hi there first post, My dad has recently gotten back into shooting and sent his license application. It should return any day now. His brother has some firearms Cat a and b that he doesn't want anymore or they originally belonged to dad. How many PTA's can he send at once? We are in Vic and we asked 3 local shops this question. 1 said 2, another said 3 and the last said 5. I'm hoping someone could shed some light on this for me. Thank you all.

I wasn't aware there was any limit. Most I've done is three at once, strangely two regos came within a couple weeks, the third took eight weeks despite all being done electronically at the same time.
I would email Firearms and explain that you want to take over a collection of somebody else's firearms and I'm sure there won't be any problem with it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 15 Apr 2017, 5:42 pm

I submitted 5 in one shot and got them all approved at the same time and they arrived in the same envelope.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by thebear » 15 Apr 2017, 6:24 pm

I also submitted five at once and all these were for handguns and they all came back together. As suggested talk to the Firearms Registry and tell them what you want to do. I have found them to be very helpful.
thebear
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 16 Apr 2017, 5:58 pm

Just be aware of your obligations if you end up with 16 or more guns , regarding storage requirements
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 16 Apr 2017, 10:16 pm

Question has been answered but I did 2 cat A And 1 cat B at the same time and it was the same price and all done together
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by VICHunter » 19 Apr 2017, 12:21 pm

bentaz wrote:No limit here in Vic.

If I recall right one of the blokes (Wallace?) from days gone by had 330 or so in the lock room :lol:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 19 Apr 2017, 11:35 pm

I submitted 4 high cal pistol PTA's at once and got a "Please Explain" letter from the registry. I emailed them on a Thursday night with a short point form "good reason" for each and they were approved on the Friday. Had a few please explain letters from the registry but a email with a follow up call the next day has always produced a positive result and I've managed to build a good relationship with the registry.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tripod » 20 Apr 2017, 8:13 am

VICHunter wrote:
bentaz wrote:No limit here in Vic.

If I recall right one of the blokes (Wallace?) from days gone by had 330 or so in the lock room :lol:

Eric is a really nice bloke and he even has his own range, I try to visit him when I am up his way (Qld)
There are plenty of blokes with vaults and huge numbers of firearms and I must admit I have given up selling firearms but not buying them. :D
I normally put in 3 pta's at a time and the most I have had was a phone call suggesting that I get a collectors license. :lol:
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Tripod » 20 Apr 2017, 8:47 am

bentaz wrote:My local policeman suggested i get a collectors licence when he found out i had over 20 shotguns, when i explained to him that then i couldn't take em out to shoot bunnies he agreed.

I told weapons licensing the same. There is a rumour down here that they may change it so that you can shoot rifles that are on a collectors license.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Victorian gun laws