WA Police Minister to simplify gun rules

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

WA Police Minister to simplify gun rules

Post by nords » 03 Dec 2013, 12:53 pm

Bit of good news for my fellow WA shooters...

Police Minister Liza Harvey has flagged making it easier to buy guns, telling Parliament the law had to be changed to address "bizarre anomalies" standing between licence applicants and firearms.

The remarks were in response to complaints from Joondalup Liberal MP Jan Norberger that the recreational shooters "unanimously feel they are viewed as a public threat" because of difficulty getting firearms licences.

Mr Norberger criticised one regulation preventing the licensing of a firearm if the police commissioner believed it to closely resemble a prohibited firearm, saying "opinion is a poor basis for the application of law".

The regulation was also illogical, because "if a person were to walk around a shopping centre with a firearm, the average shopper would be scared irrespective of what colour it was or if it had railings on top", he said.

Mr Norberger also criticised licences for gun club use preventing holders from hunting on private property, saying "either a person is deemed appropriate and safe to use a firearm or not".

Mrs Harvey told Mr Norberger he had raised "a number of what I view as bizarre anomalies in the way processing is done", but said it was not the fault of WA Police, which issued licences in accordance with the Firearms Act 1973.

"Therefore, it is my view that in order to make firearms licensing processes more efficient and meet the expectations of the WA community, we need to make legislative changes and modernise the Act," she said.

Mrs Harvey said it was a "problem" some licences could not be issued until the applicant stipulated which particular property they would be hunting on, and that she accepted other licences were held up by long delays.

She said Attorney-General Michael Mischin had arranged for the Law Reform Commission to review the Act from March and encouraged recreational shooters to make their views known to Government.

The State Government has come under pressure in its second term to make firearms licences easier to get and cheaper.

Liberal MP Murray Cowper has criticised licence and registration fee rises of between 13 and 147 per cent from July 1 and Shooters and Fishers Party MLC Rick Mazza, elected in March, has pursued the issue.

Fingers crossed anyway...

Original Yahoo article.
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: WA Police Minister to simplify gun rules

Post by pmomd » 03 Dec 2013, 1:52 pm

+1 for Mrs Harvey.
CZ 550 Varmint in .308 Winchester.
Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 Springfield.
pmomd
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Seik » 03 Dec 2013, 8:14 pm

"opinion is a poor basis for the application of law".

The regulation was also illogical, because "if a person were to walk around a shopping centre with a firearm, the average shopper would be scared irrespective of what colour it was or if it had railings on top", he said.

Thank god. Someone with a brain.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harts » 03 Dec 2013, 8:15 pm

Seik wrote:Thank god. Someone with a brain.

A rare attribute these days :(
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by chacho » 04 Dec 2013, 7:41 am

I hate to be the pessimist, but I'll believe it when I see some changes.

I imagine there's no shortage of people who will try and road block her on this.
chacho
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Western Australia gun laws