28 day waiting period

Questions about Australian Capital Territory gun and ammunition laws. A.C.T. Firearms Act 1996.

28 day waiting period

Post by TheGreenwolf » 18 Apr 2017, 2:50 pm

just wondering what is the reason behind the 28 day waiting periods?

is it just so that you don't go buy a random gun from a shop in a rage and shoot someone just afterwards? if so a 7 day or 14 day wait would suffice.

its one part of the legislation i don't get, just wondering what the purpose is for this.

other parts of licencing make sense this one not so much.

28 days to wait for lic
then an additional 28 days to buy a firearm.

apart from being annoying and putting off future lic holders what is the purpose?
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Re: 28 day waiting period

Post by juststarting » 18 Apr 2017, 3:30 pm

Yes, it's a cooling off period. That's what I think. No, applying logic to it ain't going to end well. Just like, why is there a waiting period (ex. VIC) on a second+ firearm. Please, no logic. Okay.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 18 Apr 2017, 4:30 pm

Just like buying a house and a car and stuff, pretty much so you don't shoot some fella/sheila rubbing you up the wrong way, if that grudge lasts more than a month well it's still your fault but they tried

Just another thing to make the polies get them good feels
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by brett1868 » 18 Apr 2017, 5:22 pm

In the good old days a fella could walk into the cop shop with his birth certificate, pay $15 and be out the door in 20 minutes fully licensed. That's how I did it in the mid 80's and went straight to the gun shop and bought a gun. There were several incidents of people getting upset and being able to get hold of a license and a firearm within a day or less. I believe there were a few murder suicides and other shootings which lead to the 28day "Cooling Off" rule. This I can support but the 28 day PTA wait for the first firearm in each category is pointless. I always advise new license holders in NSW to submit 2 PTA's (1 Cat A & 1 Cat B) as soon as they're licensed so they can server both 28 day waits concurrently.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TheGreenwolf » 18 Apr 2017, 8:14 pm

ok that kind of makes sense, i know they have this in some US states as well.

at the same time tho the 56 day wait seems excessive for new shooters (28 day lic) and (28 day gun)
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by juststarting » 18 Apr 2017, 8:18 pm

TheGreenwolf wrote:ok that kind of makes sense, i know they have this in some US states as well.

at the same time tho the 56 day wait seems excessive for new shooters (28 day lic) and (28 day gun)

You can send licence application and PTA together... They are concurrent. So it's 1 set of elapsed 28 days. Not 56.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 18 Apr 2017, 9:52 pm

The 28 day was introduced as a cooling of period.I agree it sucks .I obtained my firearms lic in the early 90s by getting a property letter from a large station where we were building a gold mine then picking out a shotgun at a Geraldton gun shop going to the police station then picking up the shotgun same day.All my centrefire rifles and the 17 HMR were bought in Bunbury and it was a one day exercise.buy it get a permit pick it up job done.There was a time I could convert a house to gas in one day by putting the meter box on and they would run the service then I would go back and do the job and if I called before 2 pm the dude would come fit the meter,Now you send of reams of applications and it takes weeks and you are supposed to be grateful to a faceless entity.As soon as the post office took over firearms we all knew it would take forever
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by TheGreenwolf » 19 Apr 2017, 8:04 am

juststarting wrote:
TheGreenwolf wrote:ok that kind of makes sense, i know they have this in some US states as well.

You can send licence application and PTA together... They are concurrent. So it's 1 set of elapsed 28 days. Not 56.

not in the ACT you cant, not sure on other states.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by brouta » 19 Apr 2017, 12:15 pm

TheGreenwolf wrote:apart from being annoying and putting off future lic holders what is the purpose?

Nope, that's it :thumbsdown:
brouta
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 19 Apr 2017, 3:28 pm

brouta wrote:
TheGreenwolf wrote:apart from being annoying and putting off future lic holders what is the purpose?

Nope, that's it :thumbsdown:

Well, then, this one of the government policies that really works as intended, but I'm contrary - I put in applications for eight PTAs just the other day, so they're not really discouraging me.

:mrgreen:
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by bladeracer » 19 Apr 2017, 3:37 pm

TheGreenwolf wrote:
juststarting wrote:You can send licence application and PTA together... They are concurrent. So it's 1 set of elapsed 28 days. Not 56.

Yeah, ACT I think it says something like you need to possess a licence before you can lodge a permit to acquire, something like that anyway.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Apr 2017, 3:41 pm

BRNO_Bigot wrote:Well, then, this one of the government policies that really works as intended, but I'm contrary - I put in applications for eight PTAs just the other day, so they're not really discouraging me.

:mrgreen:

We need to come up with an incentive scheme to encourage people to buy more firearms.
Maybe 1% discount for every five firearms you own when you purchase from a gun shop.
Somebody needs to apply for a government grant to support local business. The business gives the discount which is then reimbursed from a government grant - I reckon it's a brilliant idea :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 19 Apr 2017, 11:51 pm

Maybe 1% discount for every five firearms you own when you purchase from a gun shop.

They'd be losing money with me :lol:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Apr 2017, 10:24 am

Given the current vetting process prior to a person being issued with a shooters license, the 28 day waiting period is nothing more than an unnecessary, sound good moment, used to appease the anti's and apply another level of control, like the majority of the restrictions courtesy of the NFA.

Once a person has been deemed fit and proper and issued with a shooters license, it should not matter when they obtain a firearm, the same applies to what type, amount or appearance of firearm they chose to own.

The only two areas of the NFA that have any benefit to shooters and public safety alike are, the vetting process prior to a license being issued and the current storage requirements.
Member-Deleted

Post by sungazer » 23 Apr 2017, 12:24 pm

TheGreenwolf wrote:
juststarting wrote:

Are you still allowed to buy fireworks though? If not now at least you could for a lot longer than the rest of us.
I remember the days of fireworks when I was really small with dad buying all types of great stuff and letting them off in the back yard. Then later as a teenager being able to use them still. Although like many teenagers at the time I was a little irresponsible and used them for purposes they were not designed for. a few letter boxes and other things a lot worse for wear. Then we had the small skyrocket guns and used to have play fights with them. Probably a large part of why they were banned. :D
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 23 Apr 2017, 12:46 pm

I've propbably posted about this maybe twenty-seventy times :sarcasm:

But anyhoo, Although the 28 day nonsense is absolutely a cooling off period, or a cool-your-jets-before-you-decide-to-go-slaughter-everyone-because-you're-mad-and-4-weeks-is-a good-random-length-of-time-to-have-a-think. . . . . . ..even if you have firearms (some states) you're obviously going to need a different firearm....than one in your safe. .

Because its a concept based on absolute STUPIDITY; it doesnt actually refer to cooling-off, in fact the NFA states:

"....to enable appropriate checks to be made on licensees in order to ascertain whether circumstances have occurred since the issuing of the original licence which would render the licensee unsuitable to possess the firearm or which would render the licensee ineligible for that type of firearm."

In other words its a check that you're still licensed! If you couldnt possess firearms you would have long been visited by the boys in blue...sorry, BLACK....

Either way, it achieves the aim of stifling ownership, and giving the police and anti-crowd a warm feeling that they've 'made a difference'.. placing another little hurdle...totally unnecessary.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by TheGreenwolf » 23 Apr 2017, 11:40 pm

i don't think you can legally buy fireworks either.

but im not 100% sure, i wasnt born here, im just a ring in.

but i think some of the relaxed rules were from when the federal government was the only government and they didnt really care what happend here.

now its self governed the fun police have taken over.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by Ratsmitglied » 24 Apr 2017, 6:53 am

Fireworks got banned within the last 10 years. Something about the amount of damage being done to property with them I think
Ratsmitglied
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 25 Apr 2017, 10:54 pm

Mate of mine used to make rockets out of paper towel rolls with some kind of household chemicals.He let one off at a farm once and it went in a big spiral and bounced of the roof of a massive open sided hay shed,If it had gone in there we would have known about it
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Skitz » 26 Apr 2017, 4:25 am

I just want a fun license :(
Skitz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria