Western Australian licensing

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Western Australian licensing

Post by FollowTheSPR » 18 Apr 2017, 4:00 pm

Just wondering if you some one could help me out here?

I grew up on a farm in SthAus, joined the Army and travelled around Aus a bit and then settled in WA for work. Im trying to get my licence but WA police won't accept a letter from SA and i know no one here that has property.

Any help would be much appreciated.
FollowTheSPR
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Western Australian licensing

Post by bladeracer » 18 Apr 2017, 5:37 pm

FollowTheSPR wrote:Just wondering if you some one could help me out here?

I grew up on a farm in SthAus, joined the Army and travelled around Aus a bit and then settled in WA for work. Im trying to get my licence but WA police won't accept a letter from SA and i know no one here that has property.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I was a few years in Rural SA and when I went back to WA I just sort of expected to continue shooting, but it was far too difficult under their regime. So I joined a pistol club and did IPSC for thirteen years. Now I'm in Victoria and it is so liberating to be back into shooting without being considered a criminal.

I can only suggest joining a target club. If you don't know any property owners in WA then you aren't likely to need it for hunting anyway. I can't see any problem then using it on private property in SA.

When I was in Perth in 2015 I bumped into a guy that told me of a large property that sells letters to people for around $300 for licencing purposes. Don't know if that's still the case though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Peeds13 » 18 Apr 2017, 7:19 pm

There's a few places that sell property letters for $200. If you ask at your local gun shop they usually can point you in the right direction.
There's also a guy on Gumtree ATM offering property letters for all calibres for $200, just type in hunting properties in the gumtree search and he's a couple ads down
Peeds13
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Wobble » 19 Apr 2017, 1:26 pm

Peeds13 wrote:There's a few places that sell property letters for $200.

The system works :sarcasm:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Peeds13 » 19 Apr 2017, 9:31 pm

Lol yep
Peeds13
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Empie » 04 Jun 2017, 12:03 pm

Couple of options here to get a letter even if you haven't been hunting there yet https://www.westernhunting.com.au/hunti ... -australia
Empie
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 04 Jun 2017, 12:51 pm

Great link
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by BRNOmod2 » 18 Jun 2017, 11:49 pm

Property letters from outside of WA are not accepted by WA firearm lic services - their not interested at all. Concepts like - you have handled firearms before/ had firearms lic in another state/been in military etc are also of no interest/not taken into any consideration in WA at all - u have 2 options, join a club or get a WA property letter
BRNOmod2
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws