70+ Days for New Shooting License

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

70+ Days for New Shooting License

Post by WatchyShooter » 21 Apr 2017, 3:15 pm

Currently at the 70 day mark, decided to start sharing the process down here in SA.

Applied on 11th February

According to SAPOL's website

Application type Processing applications
Firearms licence renewals 31 March 2017
Permits to acquire a firearm 11 April 2017
Firearms licence application 22 February 2017
(updated 21/04/2017)

So it's taken 2 months for them to just "receive and process" which is a disgusting abuse of power using the excuse of "large amount of applications" to justify excessive waiting times.

Now won't get into a club before the end of the financial year which is gonna hurt the wallet when everything's due at once.

Haven't received even a peep from SAPOL, few phone calls and the basic "it's been received and something should be sent out shortly"

Will update when something moves along
Firearm-less LAFO!
New shooter, guns to come soon!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: 70+ Days for New Shooting License

Post by WatchyShooter » 21 Apr 2017, 3:16 pm

Anyone know if the "28 day waiting period" is 28 days from when I submitted the application or when THEY receive it?
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 21 Apr 2017, 3:25 pm

That pretty much sucks! Sorry i can't help with more detail; just empathising.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by WatchyShooter » 21 Apr 2017, 3:30 pm

Gwion wrote:That pretty much sucks! Sorry i can't help with more detail; just empathising.

Yeah the online PTA and application systems that NSW has would be welcome over here in SA, mind you without some of the restrictions you's have :D

Both myself and the missus are looking forward to whenever they get here
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 21 Apr 2017, 4:02 pm

Hope it goes through soon, mate. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by colinbentley » 21 Apr 2017, 4:34 pm

When I applied in Victoria, granted a few years ago, from the time I applied to the day I got my license was 3 months.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Peeds13 » 21 Apr 2017, 6:15 pm

I know here they receive it electronically so it's 28 days from that day.
When I done mine it took just over 6 weeks to get my licence.
28 days time wasting, 3 days to send letter asking for my gun safe pics and if I wanted to continue which I sent back the same day. Then 6 days to approve, then 8 days to actually receive my licence in the mail.
45 days from submitting to having the licence and picking up the gun
Peeds13
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Apr 2017, 7:45 pm

In Victoria early 2015 I received my licence 72 days after I did the safety lecture.
I didn't record the date I sent the application in but I paid for two rifles 40 days before I got my licence, so I would think the licence took 40 days to come through.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TheGreenwolf » 21 Apr 2017, 10:15 pm

dam i thought i had it bad! they are pretty efficient here, just have 2 lots of waiting is all...

27 days to go!
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Cryptic » 22 Apr 2017, 12:04 am

194 days it took for mine. Put A/B in Nov got approval in June. My cat H put in and approved in 2 days :lol: :crazy:
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by WatchyShooter » 22 Apr 2017, 6:11 pm

Yeah it's only a Cat H for IPSC, getting that sorted first to get the 6 months probation out the way & when I get the Cat H then get a variation for A/B hunting and IPSC and fill my safe finally

Wish I'd put all 3 down when I applied but meh, what you going to do :D
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Fritz » 23 Apr 2017, 5:31 am

Back in the late 90's the rumor at the time was that from the beginning of the financial year, no new firearms licences would be granted.
So, naturally everybody put in their application before the supposed end date, including me.
It took a little over a year for my NSW licence to be issued.
Fritz
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Kimbocv8 » 05 May 2017, 1:38 pm

Yep,

Shared this on another post but see my journey in SA below....

3 months waiting for 'Training Letter' - July > Oct 2016
+
3 months to do the 6 shoots required (IPSC shooting fortnightly and Christmas break) - Oct 2016 > Jan 2017
+
1 month licence waiting period - Jan > Feb 2017
+
6 month waiting period before purchasing first handgun - Mar > Sept 2017
+
1 month waiting period on PTA for first handgun (PTA cannot be submitted until 6 months is up) - Sept > Oct 2017

First put application in at start of July 2016.
I am currently 2 months into the 6 month waiting period and have been actively shooting at my club every fortnight since October last year.
I expect I will actually own my own handgun in October this year means almost 16 months from first application and 12 months from my first shoot.
Of course, then 6 months after that I may purchase another handgun.......
Kimbocv8
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Rabz » 17 Jun 2017, 9:56 am

Been waiting 9 months for my a/b licence in NSW. -.-
Rabz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2017, 12:18 pm

Rabz wrote:Been waiting 9 months for my a/b licence in NSW. -.-

Bloody hell - what date did you lodge it?
Have you confirmed that they have actually got it?
Have you contacted your local member of parliament to give them a shove?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 18 Jun 2017, 2:58 pm

My missus went in to do her cat a/b today(qld) finally. Be interesting to see how long it takes :unknown:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Jun 2017, 9:09 am

Adding a Cat H to my existing long-arms licence ( that I've had for over 30 years) took 8 months from application to issue of photo probationary licence. Every month there was another letter from firearms with a " you haven't done this " or " we now need that " crap. They had "lost" paperwork and forms that I had to re-send or re-do. They successfully strung it out for the extra 6 months that I should have completed the probation. Is this is why everyone I spoke with says it takes 14 months to get cat H licence in NSW? :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by WatchyShooter » 19 Jun 2017, 4:19 pm

Dang I forgot to update this post hahaha

So I got my Permission to train Monday last week after sending an email off to FAR, called in and thanked them and also got mine and the missus approved to do it as Cat A/B & H so we don’t need to wait till we have the Cat H to get a variation.

Me and the missus went to the club just the weekend gone, filled out paperwork and booked in the holster course for this weekend.
Missus was nervous but a spotting a few other girls and having a female instructor tell her “we need more young girls like you” and having everyone at the club being very friendly has made her excited for the weekends now.

Now just to start submitting PTA’s for the A/B’s to keep us busy till the 6 months probation is up :drinks:
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by RumPlz » 19 Jun 2017, 4:35 pm

I have just had an issue with the registry in NSW.

They received my PTA on the 2/6/2017 for my second rifle (Cat B) and I already have a Cat A. According to their website there is no waiting time as they fit under the same category. It's now the 19/6/2017 and it stills says it's being processed by the firearms register so I decided to give them a call.

After explaining the situation the lady replied "You have to have a registration certificate for the first rifle you have purchased to have the 0 wait time". I said to her that I bought the rifle 3months ago and you should have it. she said "ok let me check a few things".

After a few minutes she gets back on the line and says " Oh we received your registration on the 1/5/2017, but it was only processed today 19/6/2017, I'm very sorry but we have been really busy. So basically I said "I have to wait 28days again?" To which she said "yes I'm sorry"

So technically for a second rifle of the same cat it should be about 10 days (postage), instead I am having to wait another roughly 38 days....\

It's a bit of a piss take if I'm completely honest, the government have no issues chasing you for money, but when you want something they don't seem to give s**t.
RumPlz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Newshooter » 24 Jul 2017, 2:12 pm

RumPlz wrote:I have just had an issue with the registry in NSW.

They received my PTA on the 2/6/2017 for my second rifle (Cat B) and I already have a Cat A. According to their website there is no waiting time as they fit under the same category. It's now the 19/6/2017 and it stills says it's being processed by the firearms register so I decided to give them a call.

After explaining the situation the lady replied "You have to have a registration certificate for the first rifle you have purchased to have the 0 wait time". I said to her that I bought the rifle 3months ago and you should have it. she said "ok let me check a few things".

After a few minutes she gets back on the line and says " Oh we received your registration on the 1/5/2017, but it was only processed today 19/6/2017, I'm very sorry but we have been really busy. So basically I said "I have to wait 28days again?" To which she said "yes I'm sorry"

So technically for a second rifle of the same cat it should be about 10 days (postage), instead I am having to wait another roughly 38 days....\

It's a bit of a piss take if I'm completely honest, the government have no issues chasing you for money, but when you want something they don't seem to give s**t.

holy s**t that's a bit rough!

thankfully i bought my first firearm 11months ago, had my mate register it in his name in oct when my licence finally came through then transferred registration to me in november.

mr taxman is giving me a nice refund, still deciding what to do with it but if i do decide to buy a rifle hopefully everything will go 'as normal'
Beretta 692 trap
Lithgow LA101 .22lr
Newshooter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to South Australian gun laws