70+ Days for New Shooting License

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Re: 70+ Days for New Shooting License

Post by RumPlz » 19 Jun 2017, 4:35 pm

I have just had an issue with the registry in NSW.

They received my PTA on the 2/6/2017 for my second rifle (Cat B) and I already have a Cat A. According to their website there is no waiting time as they fit under the same category. It's now the 19/6/2017 and it stills says it's being processed by the firearms register so I decided to give them a call.

After explaining the situation the lady replied "You have to have a registration certificate for the first rifle you have purchased to have the 0 wait time". I said to her that I bought the rifle 3months ago and you should have it. she said "ok let me check a few things".

After a few minutes she gets back on the line and says " Oh we received your registration on the 1/5/2017, but it was only processed today 19/6/2017, I'm very sorry but we have been really busy. So basically I said "I have to wait 28days again?" To which she said "yes I'm sorry"

So technically for a second rifle of the same cat it should be about 10 days (postage), instead I am having to wait another roughly 38 days....\

It's a bit of a piss take if I'm completely honest, the government have no issues chasing you for money, but when you want something they don't seem to give s**t.
RumPlz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 70+ Days for New Shooting License

Post by Newshooter » 24 Jul 2017, 2:12 pm

RumPlz wrote:I have just had an issue with the registry in NSW.

They received my PTA on the 2/6/2017 for my second rifle (Cat B) and I already have a Cat A. According to their website there is no waiting time as they fit under the same category. It's now the 19/6/2017 and it stills says it's being processed by the firearms register so I decided to give them a call.

After explaining the situation the lady replied "You have to have a registration certificate for the first rifle you have purchased to have the 0 wait time". I said to her that I bought the rifle 3months ago and you should have it. she said "ok let me check a few things".

After a few minutes she gets back on the line and says " Oh we received your registration on the 1/5/2017, but it was only processed today 19/6/2017, I'm very sorry but we have been really busy. So basically I said "I have to wait 28days again?" To which she said "yes I'm sorry"

So technically for a second rifle of the same cat it should be about 10 days (postage), instead I am having to wait another roughly 38 days....\

It's a bit of a piss take if I'm completely honest, the government have no issues chasing you for money, but when you want something they don't seem to give s**t.

holy s**t that's a bit rough!

thankfully i bought my first firearm 11months ago, had my mate register it in his name in oct when my licence finally came through then transferred registration to me in november.

mr taxman is giving me a nice refund, still deciding what to do with it but if i do decide to buy a rifle hopefully everything will go 'as normal'
Beretta 692 trap
Lithgow LA101 .22lr
Newshooter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to South Australian gun laws