police inspections of safe storage in QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

police inspections of safe storage in QLD

Post by taffy4x4 » 22 Apr 2017, 6:39 pm

Hi guys, can anyone tell me the requirements of a police inspection, e.g. can it be at any time, do they have to inform you first, what if you are out and only a non licensed person is home. If anyone knows the answers that would be great. Cheers.
Life is not a test drive
taffy4x4
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: police inspections of safe storage in QLD

Post by TheDude » 22 Apr 2017, 7:30 pm

When mine was done they sent a letter with the details of the local cop who does inspections asking to call and organise a convenient time for them to come and do the inspection.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Apr 2017, 9:56 am

Common courtesy dictates that they need to make an appointment, if your license is current and you have not committed any offence, there is no reason as to why a snap inspection is necessary.

As far as non licensed persons, they are not permitted access to any firearms, in the situation you describe, they would be able to show and officer the safe, but definitely not have access to the keys/combination.

A good attitude goes a long way, I have been here after moving from the Territory eight years ago, there was a discrepancy with a number listed on one of my firearms and the local (small station) Sargent wanted to check it so as the records could be amended, I invited him to come out and while he was at it, suggested he could do a storage inspection at the same time, it saved us both the time and effort to have it done later.
Member-Deleted

Post by taffy4x4 » 23 Apr 2017, 12:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I work away a bit and my wife would freak if the police knocked on the door as only myself and my son have licences
Life is not a test drive
taffy4x4
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Apr 2017, 12:44 pm

taffy4x4 wrote:Thanks for the feedback, I work away a bit and my wife would freak if the police knocked on the door as only myself and my son have licences

Yep. my wife is the same. I just hide the keys where she is very unlikely to find them. No probs.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 23 Apr 2017, 2:55 pm

Just make sure your wife doesn't know where the keys are. If the cops do around and someone not licenced for every category of firearm in your safe opens the safe, even at the inspecting officers request, your busted.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 24 Apr 2017, 4:11 pm

In my inspection, the police officer rang, identified himself, stated his business and arranged a date and time for the Inspection.

Upon arrival, knocked, introduced himself (was in uniform) and offsider showed warrant cards, invited in and I opened the safe and firearms checked of against his list. All good,
I closed safe, checked that it was locked etc and he gave the safe the "once over", tried to rock it side to side and back and forth, no movement and that was it. No worries.
During the inspection, we had a chat about things in general.
Both officers were very pleasant.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws