Is a pistol carbine chassis legal to own in NSW?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Is a pistol carbine chassis legal to own in NSW?

Post by Aelk5579 » 23 Apr 2017, 11:33 pm

Hi

Are these legal to own in nsw? They are technically a chassis which attaches a butt stock to a pistol.
I know they are legal in QLD but haven't been able to find angthing online except for one website which says you can own it but cannot attach to the pistol
Aelk5579
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Is a pistol carbine chassis legal to own in NSW?

Post by Aelk5579 » 25 Apr 2017, 10:56 pm

I guess no one knows...
Aelk5579
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 25 Apr 2017, 11:22 pm

In Short...No, definitely not legal.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Aelk5579 » 30 Apr 2017, 8:59 am

Can anyone please reference to the legislation which states this is illegal to owN? I have emailed the far but they haven't got back to me yet.
I believe you can own these but as soon as you attach it to your pistol the firearm becomes prohibited which means you will need a prohibited weapons permit. Obviously shooting the firearm at the range is outside of question.. definitely illegal

This all makes sense but I want to be sure and cannot find any reference to the relevant law.
Also, do they need to be registered just like a firearm and require a pta or is it considered an accessory?
Aelk5579
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2017, 9:15 am

Aelk5579 wrote:Can anyone please reference to the legislation which states this is illegal to owN? I have emailed the far but they haven't got back to me yet.
I believe you can own these but as soon as you attach it to your pistol the firearm becomes prohibited which means you will need a prohibited weapons permit. Obviously shooting the firearm at the range is outside of question.. definitely illegal

This all makes sense but I want to be sure and cannot find any reference to the relevant law.
Also, do they need to be registered just like a firearm and require a pta or is it considered an accessory?

They consider it to be "prohibited in NSW". I would assume they mean prohibited even to possess.

How long does it make the handgun?
Maximum length is 650mm for handguns, so longer than that would be illegal.

If it would be illegal to attach it to a handgun anyway I can't see any reason why you would want one. I guess it might have some novelty value but hardly enough to be worth risking serious firearms offences.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aelk5579 » 30 Apr 2017, 1:16 pm

I know it won't be worth risking firearm offences which is why iam trying to find out. I can't even get an answer from the far.
I am a collector and this would be a very nice addition to my collection

These rules are just stupid and what makes it even more stupid is the fact that it's different in each state.
Aelk5579
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2017, 5:33 pm

Aelk5579 wrote:I know it won't be worth risking firearm offences which is why iam trying to find out. I can't even get an answer from the far.
I am a collector and this would be a very nice addition to my collection

These rules are just stupid and what makes it even more stupid is the fact that it's different in each state.

Collector's licence might be an option. Are NSW collectors allowed to own AR15 collapsible or folding stocks? If not then I would guess you can't have these things either. I have to put fixed stocks on my rifles to bring them into NSW even though they're legal here.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to New South Wales gun laws