Whose laws are better

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Whose laws are better

Post by doc » 10 May 2017, 1:26 pm

knowsnothin wrote:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-21/farmers-voice-gun-control-concerns-bikie-theft-fears-great-south/8462724

The Pedericks think a better solution would be communal gun safes in towns where they can be overseen by police.

Police Minister Michelle Roberts has promised to act.

"Theft of firearms is an incredibly serious issue, I will be raising the issue of facilities to store guns with the Police Commissioner," she said.

That is some scary stuff right there! Communal gun safes?!? And the police commissioner seems onboard. Organised crime must be waiting in anticipation... <sigh>
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Lokvo » 10 May 2017, 1:34 pm

Victoria laws seems really choice. National reciprocity anyone? :)
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sebrule » 10 May 2017, 3:10 pm

Well wa is s**t in some ways but we can have blank firing pistols. We can have replicas both pistols and cat d that cycle no licence needed. We can have pepper spray. Major cons you need to buy a firearm before you can apply for a licence. That means you need to do all the club stuff first.
sebrule
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2017, 3:48 pm

sebrule wrote:Well wa is s**t in some ways but we can have blank firing pistols. We can have replicas both pistols and cat d that cycle no licence needed. We can have pepper spray. Major cons you need to buy a firearm before you can apply for a licence. That means you need to do all the club stuff first.

I tried to buy a blank-firing replica pistol in WA in 2013 and Firearms said I had to show I had a reason to want it. I had no interest in using blanks in it, I just wanted it because it was such a high-quality replica. Definitely not allowed. You can own blank-firing aesthetic replicas though.
Most of my replica collection were Marushin which are excellent, all the action and parts are as per the original but made from pot metal. Nowadays those high quality replicas are not allowed so we're stuck with the Denix rubbish which are merely an aesthetic replica with almost no mechanical representation of the original.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gazza » 10 May 2017, 4:42 pm

The Victorian law that does not allow your kids to shoot rabbits with you is one of the worst laws in Australia. Allowing hunting on government land is one of the best, especially for city people.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2017, 4:49 pm

gazza wrote:The Victorian law that does not allow your kids to shoot rabbits with you is one of the worst laws in Australia. Allowing hunting on government land is one of the best, especially for city people.

Assuming you mean unlicenced kids, only two states allow that as far as I'm aware, WA and Qld, and they have to be 11 years old in Qld.
In the '80's large areas of SA were crown land available for hunting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jandamurra » 11 May 2017, 3:44 pm

A little snippet in the comment below well-known anti Phillip Alpers's article for the ABC on the 20th anniversary of the PAM, written in the comments section by a John Coochey:

Interestingly before Port Arthur the ACT and Northern Territory had identical firearms regulations pretty much as the alleged National laws brought in afterwards. The ACT had the lowest gun related deaths and murders in Australia. The Northern Territory the highest. About says it all. The Northern Territory had a high proportion of males, indigenous and alcohol consumption. The ACT the highest income, highest level of education and lowest levels of domestic violence. A good example of dependant and independant variables.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-28/a ... ur/7365790
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Previous

Return to Victorian gun laws