Whose laws are better

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Whose laws are better

Post by burek » 28 Apr 2017, 10:12 am

As someone who was apathetic towards guns and gun owners, I never gave the laws much thought before. Once affected, many seem illogical and even trying to create a parody effect.

Sure, I agree with the process of getting a licence but then being affectionate towards some of the categorisations and rules is entering stockholm syndrome territory. Why are things judged by make believe movies and agendas? Many of the issues are simply about quality of life for the shooter, like moderators, appearance (lol), semi-auto, pump, higher capacity, handguns...

Having said that, Vic does appear to be most sensible. Qld also with their trade-in for same caliber/action. As a Queenslander it does boggle the mind why we can't hunt in state forests though. I'd say Qld is far more "frontier" than Vic
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 28 Apr 2017, 11:02 am

The no hunting in state forest s@#ts me to tears. I own a block of eighty acres that backs on to 30000ac of forest that's rife with ferals that I can't shoot if they are on the other side of my boundary and the little bast@#ts know it :thumbsdown:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by knowsnothin » 28 Apr 2017, 11:38 am

WA cons.
- no hunting ferals on crown land. This is just a disappointing outcome for environmental and rec. shooting concerns.
- minimum property sizes for calibre acquisitions.
- any firearm can be banned by 'regulations' applied by police rather than legislation.
- locked safe requirements were decided by someone with absolutely no knowledge of safe design and manufacture with the effect that firearm safes are built 'down' to a specification.
- silencers not allowed even with compelling reason for use.

Our new police minister has recently abdicated her responsibilities as a legislator and has asked the police commish what firearm laws he would like enacted despite the firearm act review having recently been completed. Additionally she is looking into communal firearm storage. this would be a terrible outcome for primary producers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-21/f ... th/8462724

The Pedericks think a better solution would be communal gun safes in towns where they can be overseen by police.

Police Minister Michelle Roberts has promised to act.

"Theft of firearms is an incredibly serious issue, I will be raising the issue of facilities to store guns with the Police Commissioner," she said.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by 1886 » 28 Apr 2017, 2:30 pm

Conallin 24. Mate you are wrong in singling out Tassie for the "appearance" issue as most States have this in their legislation and do you know which is the worse State for taking advantage of this ?

Yep yours, Victoria as your Commissioner has banned 12 firearms on “appearance”. As far as I know too date WA has officially banned one !!!

I agree with duncan61 and Rifle realist that if you have a genuine reason/need then there is really no issues obtaining firearms in WA.

I will also go as far as to say some of our eastern relatives would be surprised at what we are allowed to have that they aren’t, if you tick the boxes but I won’t let the cat out of the bag on a public forum.

The only downside is it can take a few weeks to obtain additional firearms but IMHO that’s not a major issue.

Transporting firearms and ammo only require that we take "reasonable" precautions and the Commissioner has indicated that a person being in a car etc is satisfactory. None of that QLD crap :D

But the problem we may now have is the new Labor Govt Minister seems to be ignoring the outcome of a recent Law Reform Commissions report and its recommendations on a new Firearms Act, which contained further positives, so who knows what may now eventuate.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gun-nut » 28 Apr 2017, 5:12 pm

1886 wrote:Conallin 24. Mate you are wrong in singling out Tassie for the "appearance" issue as most States have this in their legislation and do you know which is the worse State for taking advantage of this ?

Yep yours, Victoria as your Commissioner has banned 12 firearms on “appearance”. As far as I know too date WA has officially banned one !!!

I agree with duncan61 and Rifle realist that if you have a genuine reason/need then there is really no issues obtaining firearms in WA.

I will also go as far as to say some of our eastern relatives would be surprised at what we are allowed to have that they aren’t, if you tick the boxes but I won’t let the cat out of the bag on a public forum.

The only downside is it can take a few weeks to obtain additional firearms but IMHO that’s not a major issue.

Transporting firearms and ammo only require that we take "reasonable" precautions and the Commissioner has indicated that a person being in a car etc is satisfactory. None of that QLD crap :D

But the problem we may now have is the new Labor Govt Minister seems to be ignoring the outcome of a recent Law Reform Commissions report and its recommendations on a new Firearms Act, which contained further positives, so who knows what may now eventuate.

Vic is far more lenient than WA, by a mile. Only 12 firearms are banned by Vic due to appearance. And the vast majority of those firearms are CAT C by federal law that were moved to CAT D. In WA however there is far more than 1. You can't get the colt m2012, wfa1, remington 7615 (due to the magazine) or anything that vaguely resembles a CAT D in any way. They only banned 1 SPECIFIC firearm in WA but the rest are banned outright just by the way they look. Just because they haven't stated it, doesn't meant it isn't banned mate. It sucks, I know but we have to live with it until change happens.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1886 » 28 Apr 2017, 6:27 pm

PM sent.

IMHO the appearance issue will never change as we don't have a united large enough voice, which is sad as its complete BS.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Download » 28 Apr 2017, 10:45 pm

I've been told that in WA you can have Cat C shotguns for IPSC. Haven't seen much evidence for it but I suspect that's because they're keeping that on the down low.

Here in SA the only upsides I can think of are no magazine restrictions on A and B firearms. We can still put 30 rounders in our 7615s unlike pretty much every other state. We also have no "appearance" bans unlike NSW, Vic or Tassie.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by 1886 » 29 Apr 2017, 12:39 pm

Download wrote:............... We also have no "appearance" bans unlike NSW, Vic or Tassie.

Unfortunately I think you do. From memory it relates to the SA Police comment in para4;

https://www.facebook.com/sapolicenews/p ... 8732030806

I was researching this law in other States awhile ago and whilst other Sates spelt it out more clearly, the words "other objects" in your Reg 4(1)(i) was a tad confusing but I later found a ruling by your SA Law Commission that commented on these reg changes and spelt it out.

Their final point was

(?) - Firearms of Military Appearance.

Can't seem to re find it at the moment, LOL.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Jandamurra » 08 May 2017, 6:10 pm

Conallin24 wrote:Hi there, I was recently wondering about firearm laws and how they differ for each state. I was hoping that each person who reads this could comment a few pros that there state has compared to others and then some cons (yeah I bet there are more of those) thank you. Some laws that may be pros are for example vic being the only state to allow 40 and above calibre pistols for target shooters. A con example is Tasmania having the ban of guns that look like a assault weapon. Thanks in advance

I'll tell you which state has the better laws-the state we were in before 1996!
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 08 May 2017, 6:33 pm

I have had a rethink on the question asked I think it was 1970 had the best gun laws in all states
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by PoorShot300 » 09 May 2017, 4:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:We can possess whatever ammunition we want.
iirc.... you can only posses ammunition for that which you are registered for. ie; You only have a .22 permit, so you can't have any centre-fire ammo, and if you have a .224 you can't have .338 ammo unless you have a permit for a rifle in that caliber... :oops:

We can loan and borrow firearms.
Only to licensed shooters of that calibre is what i was told at FSC... :unknown:

We can't supervise unlicenced shooters except at a range.

I was informed unlicensed shooters 'can' be supervised...(that also meant AT ALL TIMES, and same as teaching your own kids is how it was put) ie; be their shadow while they have the firearm possession....

So much confusion eh? :crazy:
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 May 2017, 4:51 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:We can possess whatever ammunition we want.
iirc.... you can only posses ammunition for that which you are registered for. ie; You only have a .22 permit, so you can't have any centre-fire ammo, and if you have a .224 you can't have .338 ammo unless you have a permit for a rifle in that caliber... :oops:

We can loan and borrow firearms.
Only to licensed shooters of that calibre is what i was told at FSC... :unknown:

We can't supervise unlicenced shooters except at a range.

I was informed unlicensed shooters 'can' be supervised...(that also meant AT ALL TIMES, and same as teaching your own kids is how it was put) ie; be their shadow while they have the firearm possession....

So much confusion eh? :crazy:

You are correct that if you only have a Cat A licence then you can only possess rimfire and shotgun ammunition.
If you have a Cat B licence then you can possess all Cat A ammo plus centrefire rifle ammo, although lots of pistol ammo is also rifle ammo.
You can borrow any firearm of the categories you are licenced for.
In Victoria you can only supervise an unlicenced person handling a firearm or ammunition while at a range, nowhere else.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by doc » 10 May 2017, 1:26 pm

knowsnothin wrote:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-21/farmers-voice-gun-control-concerns-bikie-theft-fears-great-south/8462724

The Pedericks think a better solution would be communal gun safes in towns where they can be overseen by police.

Police Minister Michelle Roberts has promised to act.

"Theft of firearms is an incredibly serious issue, I will be raising the issue of facilities to store guns with the Police Commissioner," she said.

That is some scary stuff right there! Communal gun safes?!? And the police commissioner seems onboard. Organised crime must be waiting in anticipation... <sigh>
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Lokvo » 10 May 2017, 1:34 pm

Victoria laws seems really choice. National reciprocity anyone? :)
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sebrule » 10 May 2017, 3:10 pm

Well wa is s**t in some ways but we can have blank firing pistols. We can have replicas both pistols and cat d that cycle no licence needed. We can have pepper spray. Major cons you need to buy a firearm before you can apply for a licence. That means you need to do all the club stuff first.
sebrule
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2017, 3:48 pm

sebrule wrote:Well wa is s**t in some ways but we can have blank firing pistols. We can have replicas both pistols and cat d that cycle no licence needed. We can have pepper spray. Major cons you need to buy a firearm before you can apply for a licence. That means you need to do all the club stuff first.

I tried to buy a blank-firing replica pistol in WA in 2013 and Firearms said I had to show I had a reason to want it. I had no interest in using blanks in it, I just wanted it because it was such a high-quality replica. Definitely not allowed. You can own blank-firing aesthetic replicas though.
Most of my replica collection were Marushin which are excellent, all the action and parts are as per the original but made from pot metal. Nowadays those high quality replicas are not allowed so we're stuck with the Denix rubbish which are merely an aesthetic replica with almost no mechanical representation of the original.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gazza » 10 May 2017, 4:42 pm

The Victorian law that does not allow your kids to shoot rabbits with you is one of the worst laws in Australia. Allowing hunting on government land is one of the best, especially for city people.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2017, 4:49 pm

gazza wrote:The Victorian law that does not allow your kids to shoot rabbits with you is one of the worst laws in Australia. Allowing hunting on government land is one of the best, especially for city people.

Assuming you mean unlicenced kids, only two states allow that as far as I'm aware, WA and Qld, and they have to be 11 years old in Qld.
In the '80's large areas of SA were crown land available for hunting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jandamurra » 11 May 2017, 3:44 pm

A little snippet in the comment below well-known anti Phillip Alpers's article for the ABC on the 20th anniversary of the PAM, written in the comments section by a John Coochey:

Interestingly before Port Arthur the ACT and Northern Territory had identical firearms regulations pretty much as the alleged National laws brought in afterwards. The ACT had the lowest gun related deaths and murders in Australia. The Northern Territory the highest. About says it all. The Northern Territory had a high proportion of males, indigenous and alcohol consumption. The ACT the highest income, highest level of education and lowest levels of domestic violence. A good example of dependant and independant variables.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-28/a ... ur/7365790
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws