storing bolt/magazine

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

storing bolt/magazine

Post by rklk » 06 May 2017, 8:58 am

hello all,
just wondering if it's ok to store the magazine or bolt from a rifle in a separate locked container away from the safe ? Does the magazine/bolt count as being the firearm and therefore have to be stored in a cat A/B safe?
rklk
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: storing bolt/magazine

Post by Apollo » 06 May 2017, 7:53 pm

Yes, you can store your Magazine &/or Bolt in a different location. Not sure but I don't think either need to be in a locked container BUT better be safe than other and secure your equipment. Unless you are transporting equipment in a vehicle...see FAR PDF on Safe Transportation.

Why would you want to anyway. In NSW you can leave both the Bolt & Magazine in the Rifle in your Gun Safe. Not a loaded Magazine. Ammo needs to be secured in it's own locked container, even a Plastic Toolbox with a lock will do.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 May 2017, 8:29 pm

I store mine in a separate locked container, mainly cos I figure the firearm will be useless to thieves if they happen to break into my safe (the can't harm anyone with them if they can't go bang).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusTac » 06 May 2017, 9:16 pm

Store mine where they belong, in the firearm, the less time it spends out of the receiver the less chance it has to get dropped, dirty, broken,lost, stolen, mixed up etc but check your state laws some don't allow it, had two inspections with storage like that and it was all good with the po po
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by pomemax » 06 May 2017, 9:31 pm

. IN nsw you can store with bolt and mag in them no problems and you can transport with bolt and mag in too . I take it you referring to class a/.b

What legislative requirements are there in relation to transportation of category C, D & H firearms?
Category C, D & H firearms must be conveyed unloaded, with the ammunition kept in a locked container separate
from the firearms. They must be rendered temporarily incapable of being fired (eg by removal of the bolt/firing
mechanism or the use of trigger locks) or must be kept in a locked container that is properly secured to, or is within
the vehicle.
What legislative requirements are there in relation to the commercial transportation of firearms?
Persons engaged in the activities of commercial transportation must ensure that any portion of the consignment
consisting of firearms is:
* Transported concealed in a locked container which is secured to the vehicle or in a locked compartment within the
vehicle, and
* That all reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure that firearms are not lost or stolen whilst being
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 06 May 2017, 10:33 pm

Legally​o believe so, they are not counted as firearms. But I am not a lawyer. Personally, I store them in a separate safe compartment, in elcheapo cloth pencil cases. Because otherwise my guns won't fit in the safe.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 06 May 2017, 10:38 pm

juststarting wrote:Legally​o believe so, they are not counted as firearms. But I am not a lawyer. Personally, I store them in a separate safe compartment, in elcheapo cloth pencil cases. Because otherwise my guns won't fit in the safe.
harder to do with pump or leavers
buy bigger safe
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 06 May 2017, 10:43 pm

Why would I buy a bigger safe? Pumps and leaver action don't have a side handle, so no problem.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sbd3927 » 06 May 2017, 11:21 pm

juststarting wrote:Legally​o believe so, they are not counted as firearms. But I am not a lawyer..

I believe it's otherwise in Victoria, during my safety course the officer specifically made this point, with a section of a shortened rifle barrel... stating that it was a part of a firearm, therefore considered a firearm. (rather than a bit of metal tube useless for anything at all)

A strange and absurd position, not only with regard to what was now a bit of pipe. It would also mean that a loaded magazine equates to a loaded firearm, and if placed that or a bolt were placed in ammo storage container, then the ammo is no longer being stored separately to a firearm.

See what happens when you let lawyers make decisions. Look at the prime minister! (via dialup internet)
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 06 May 2017, 11:28 pm

In context of Vic.

My ammo is stored in a separate, lockable container. Away from the safe.

Loaded magazine is ammo. Ammo rules apply.
Unloaded magazine is benign and can be kept on your bookshelf as far as legalities are concerned.

Bolts I strongly believe are in the same category. Not a firearm.

Rifle barrel, without a rifle I also believe is in the same category. Not a firearm for storage. Although firearm for buying.

Action is classed as a firearm.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 06 May 2017, 11:32 pm

I think the fella running the safety course may have been telling fibbies.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 07 May 2017, 12:20 am

BIG time porkies going on there
in nsw
Bolt is a fire arm PART and can be sold without PTA boxes of them at gun shows
Barrel is a part and can be sold without PTA I have had Barrels Mailed from Vic to me no problems
Action is a part and can be sold without PTA but a dealer will notify FAR you have it
Combine action and barrel EVEN if you own them you need a pta
ammo is stored separate locked
Loaded magazine is classed as load firearm
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by rklk » 07 May 2017, 4:48 pm

main reason is that I store my rifles at my local range, and want to keep the mags/bolt at home in case they loose the rifle in a robbery.
rklk
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lokvo » 10 May 2017, 1:38 pm

Mine is stored inside my safe, albeit in a separate lockable space intended for ammo I guess inside my safe.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by outboard » 11 Jun 2017, 11:05 am

rklk wrote:hello all,
just wondering if it's ok to store the magazine or bolt from a rifle in a separate locked container away from the safe ? Does the magazine/bolt count as being the firearm and therefore have to be stored in a cat A/B safe?

Hi rkik the law says "if a firearm or firearm part is not being used,maintained or conveyed, it must be stored in a locked receptical" If this includes the bolt thats pretty stupid.if some one steals your gun its no use to them without the BOLT, so whats the point of storing the bolt with the gun. I hide my bolts if I'm away without the guns and it would take anyone several weeks to find them.
outboard
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jun 2017, 12:47 pm

outboard wrote:Hi rkik the law says "if a firearm or firearm part is not being used,maintained or conveyed, it must be stored in a locked receptical" If this includes the bolt thats pretty stupid.if some one steals your gun its no use to them without the BOLT, so whats the point of storing the bolt with the gun. I hide my bolts if I'm away without the guns and it would take anyone several weeks to find them.

If you choose to remove the bolt then you must keep the bolt in a locked receptacle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jun 2017, 10:19 pm

Lokvo wrote:Mine is stored inside my safe, albeit in a separate lockable space intended for ammo I guess inside my safe.

Not so long ago I had a pamplet sent to me from the Queensland WLB.

Titled "Firearms Storage" "Legislative requirements for Cat A, B, and C firearms storage".

Apart from seven of the usual requirements, part #8 states, and I quote

"Firearms must be unloaded and the bolt must be removed or action broken for storage.
The bolt is a major component part and is subject to same storage requirements as the firearm and can be stored with the firearm."

I took this part about the bolt being ok to be stored with the firearm up with our local copper.
Upon further enquiries he said that, "the bolt is considered to be a firearm itself, and therefore it should NOT be stored in the ammo compartment with ammo."
( It is about here that I have a mental picture of some-one holding a .308 cartridge in one hand and trying to fire it with the bolt in the other hand) :crazy:

So the weird bit is that it must be removed from the firearm, but can still be stored with/alongside the firearm.

:wtf: :wtf:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by mrchavez » 16 Jun 2017, 8:50 pm

I have been told the QPS (QLD Police Service) insist on the bolt being removed from firearm a stored in a separate locked container.

From QPS safe storage Brochure:
Firearms must be unloaded and the bolt must be removed or action broken for storage. The bolt is a major component part and is subject to same storage requirements as the firearm and can be stored with the firearm.

Appears the bolt can be stored with the rifle so why remove it from the receiver?
Most bolts automatically "cock" during the removal process and the internal springs are then fully compressed - all of the time.
Extended periods of storage (compression) will cause them to weaken and possibly influence the reliability of the striker pin action (misfire).

Any thoughts?
mrchavez
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 16 Jun 2017, 9:53 pm

Bolt removed, I am guessing same reason as 'action broken' - just safety I suppose?

Bit of confusion... http://myshootingjourney.com/2015/09/23 ... -strorage/

As for the cocked vs uncocked because of springs, no harm in storing cocked. Rifles are stored cocked for decades, it's fine.

edited:

in VIC - no such requirement, however I store mine with bolts out purely because they won't fit in the safe otherwise :D
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2017, 11:56 pm

mrchavez wrote:Most bolts automatically "cock" during the removal process and the internal springs are then fully compressed - all of the time.
Extended periods of storage (compression) will cause them to weaken and possibly influence the reliability of the striker pin action (misfire).

Any thoughts?

You can ease the spring on most cock-on-open bolts by turning the cocking piece manually, although some can be painful to re-cock before reinstalling into the receiver. I doubt it'd be a problem though as most springs are already preloaded even when the the striker has been dropped anyway. If you were that concerned about spring set you'd strip the bolt and allow the spring to fully extend.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to New South Wales gun laws