Maximum allowable handgun calibre in Qld.

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Maximum allowable handgun calibre in Qld.

Post by Kaine » 04 Dec 2013, 3:13 am

I do not have a H-category licence, but as I do plan on one in the future, I am curious about what I could or could not have.
As this does impact my choice of rifles to procure, I would like to know beforehand so I can make a good decision or two. I would like to get into CAS once I have a H licence, and would like to be using a .45 SA colt, or something of the like, and if I can have a revolver in this calibre I would be looking at getting a lever in the same, but if not then I would be looking at a lever in .357 and likely .36 cap and ball revolver.

I have had a few looks on the QPS website, and I remember reading something about large calibre handguns having to be kept at the local police station, and can only be 'taken out' for approved reasons or some such. What caliber does this qualify as? I am aware that there are four categories of H-cat, the two that concern are < .38 and > .38 but not > .45. So is this latter class, the 'large calibre' that the law refers to?

This question is excluding the waiting period, as I know there is a six month 'probationary' period once the licence has been acquired. And likely others I don't know about.
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Maximum allowable handgun calibre in Qld.

Post by Blackened » 04 Dec 2013, 9:53 am

From memory it depends on the type of event.

QLD Police website is having a tantrum at the moment for me so I couldn't see, but from memory it's up to .38 for a particular set of events.

Then up to .45 for larger calibre events.

So short answer .45 if you're shooting in the appropriate accredited events.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Kaine » 04 Dec 2013, 9:17 pm

Therefore I need to find out if the CAS I am interested in is in fact an accredited event?

I had another look and found that if you want to use bigger than a .38 but no bigger than a .45 you need to be 'upgraded' to a high calibre licence.
But I could not find the part about having to store large calibre firearms in a police station. Certain it was in there a few months ago.
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Norton » 05 Dec 2013, 6:15 am

Kaine wrote:Therefore I need to find out if the CAS I am interested in is in fact an accredited event?

You do.

QLD police page is working fine now.

FYI

Restrictions on types of handguns

A holder of a Concealable Firearms Licence, who is a member of an approved shooting club, must not use a weapon that:

*has a calibre greater than .38 inch (except for black-powder pistols) unless they have applied for and been approved to use 'high calibre weapons'
*is semi automatic and has a barrel length of less than 120mm unless it has an overall length of at least 250mm measured parallel to the barrel
*is not semi automatic (e.g. revolvers and single shot pistols) and has a barrel length of less than 100 mm unless it has an overall length of at least 250 mm measured parallel to the barrel
*has a capacity of more than 10 rounds; and
*is designed to be used without a magazine that has a maximum capacity of more than 10 rounds.

Here.

Then following on about the 'high calibre weapons' information...

If you intend to possess and use Category H weapons (other than black powder pistols) of a calibre greater than .38 inch but not more than .45 inch (high calibre weapons) you must provide evidence that you intend to participate in accredited events. This should include:
*details of the specific handguns and nomination of the accredited event at which the applicant proposes to use the handgun; and
*a letter from the approved shooting club verifying the applicant participated in the specific accredited events.

From here.

First thing is check with your club and get a list of events and corresponding pistols.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by fuggle » 05 Dec 2013, 6:19 am

So .38 is a "small" calibre, hey?

Pistols aren't really my bad but I'd have thought they'd get tight about anything over a .22.
Howa Sporter in .308
Howa Varminter in .223 ( best rifle ever )
fuggle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Kaine » 06 Dec 2013, 4:16 am

Norton wrote:You do.

QLD police page is working fine now.

FYI

First thing is check with your club and get a list of events and corresponding pistols.

Cheers, I found that info after poking around for a bit, the part that still perplexes me is whether or not 'high' calibre stuff is meant to be stored in a police station or not.
I can't find any info saying that it does, but I am certain that it did say so maybe six months ago.

In any event I will find the info out when I join the local pistol club.

Thank you though.
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JC102 » 20 Dec 2013, 11:13 am

I've seen .50 cal available at a Gold Coast shooting range. :?
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Streamline » 20 Dec 2013, 12:17 pm

JC102 wrote:I've seen .50 cal available at a Gold Coast shooting range. :?

The problem then is everyone at the range thinks you're a wanker :lol:
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JC102 » 20 Dec 2013, 2:58 pm

Streamline wrote:The problem then is everyone at the range thinks you're a wanker :lol:

Big gun, small...? ;)

They also had semi-auto rifles on offer. I didn't do it, though. Way too expensive.
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Vati » 20 Dec 2013, 4:18 pm

JC102 wrote:Big gun, small...? ;)

Small... Boot space?

Yeah, must be small boot space.

I'm not covering anything, shutup.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by beepar » 24 Dec 2013, 12:01 pm

Streamline wrote:
JC102 wrote:I've seen .50 cal available at a Gold Coast shooting range. :?

The problem then is everyone at the range thinks you're a wanker :lol:

What's wrong with shooting a .50 cal pistol?

(not a pistol shooter here...)
beepar
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Redwood » 24 Dec 2013, 12:17 pm

It's just not a serious competition calibre.

Too much recoil, low capacity, unwieldy pistol etc.

If you're shooting for points/accuracy, anyone with a 'proper' competition calibre pistol (9mm, 45, etc.) will thrash you.
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 30 Dec 2013, 10:35 am

From memory the over 38 requires ministerial approval which can take a while to be approved, as well as club approval. Each firearm over 38 you buy needs to be approved individually. Black powder is exempt from the over 38 rule. You need to satisfy minimum attendance with each category so you actually need to use it and participate. 44 mags are popular in metallic silhouette, as are 45 long colts in CAS. 45 apc is a tricky one as they aren't appropriate for either. There is talk of a new match called wild bunch, it is set in 1914 and the 1911 are approved in that match. I've seen .63 cal black powder pistols. I have also seen 460 smith and Wesson revolvers used in field pistol they are are Magnumised 454 cassul which are a Magnumised 45 long colt.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Pilch » 30 Dec 2013, 10:43 am

yoshie wrote:There is talk of a new match called wild bunch, it is set in 1914 and the 1911 are approved in that match.

That sounds cool... Is there anything to read on that yet or just hush hush talk?
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 30 Dec 2013, 11:28 am

Pilch wrote:
yoshie wrote:There is talk of a new match called wild bunch, it is set in 1914 and the 1911 are approved in that match.

That sounds cool... Is there anything to read on that yet or just hush hush talk?

There are a few people trying to get it approved in ACT. But that's as far as it has gone. I think they have run a few trial matches to gauge interest and see how it goes. They also want to change the legislation to allow a pump shotgun to be eligible. As it stands he you have I genuine reason you can get C licence approval for target under certain circumstances, they want to have one shotgun approved for this match much in the same way you would be approved for a high cal (ministerial approval)
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Pilch » 30 Dec 2013, 12:05 pm

RIghto, thanks.

That sounds cool. I'm going to have to keep an ear out for that :D
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Joom » 30 Dec 2013, 12:25 pm

That's awesome that guys are working to create these additional events.

Sounds like a good way to build up our 'legitimate reasons' for additional types of firearms.
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws