New License holder have received 1st PTA but not License

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

New License holder have received 1st PTA but not License

Post by jaydos90 » 15 May 2017, 11:44 am

Hey There,

Im a new license holder so sorry for the noob question in advance.

I got the payment form for the license early last week so i bpayed it then went to Auspost to get photo so now im just waiting on the plastic. On Friday i received the PTA for first rifle it has all license details and what not just wondering do i have to wait for the plastic to come in before i can go to the store and purchase a firearm or is the PTA with all details enough to prove i have a license

Thanks in advance guys
jaydos90
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New License holder have received 1st PTA but not License

Post by Wylie27 » 16 May 2017, 12:48 pm

You would need the plastic..

Atleast in NSW you do
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 16 May 2017, 2:51 pm

In Victoria, as far as I know, you can shop on receipt. As long as it's paid up and photo taken and signed, you are good. It should say that on the receipt. If you are not convinced, drop by am LGS with paperwork and they'll either process it or deny it.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 16 May 2017, 7:06 pm

You should be ok as said with your License receipt, along with a photo Drivers License and your PTA. Really depends on who you get serving you, just dont arc up if you get knocked back, remember there's plenty of shops.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 16 May 2017, 7:11 pm

Oh and as its your first purchase, have you got your storage sorted already? Remember to either take a guncase or bag with you or be prepared to buy one along with your gun, and dont forget cleaning gear, ear and eye protection and some form of lockable box if you are buying ammo.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 16 May 2017, 7:45 pm

If it's a brand new gun, it will come in a box, you don't need a bag. Second hand gun - yep, buy a bag.
Definitely have home safe storage sorted before anything else.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by jaydos90 » 17 May 2017, 3:04 am

Thanks heaps for the information guys, Ill go in and give it a crack see what they say worst thing that can happen is they tell me hit the road until i get the plastic.

Got the safe all sorted dyna bolted to concrete floor so that should be all good. Thanks for the advice ill have to buy a bag and all that other stuff you guys recommend going to be a expensive day haha.

Can you guys recommend any good shops in VIC, Just want a friendly place that's helpful i dont mind paying the extra price as long as its good service heard mixed reviews about a certain place in Clayton.
jaydos90
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 17 May 2017, 6:56 am

I've bought quite a bit from Clayton and have never had a bad experience there. I even had one item go missing in transit from them, got a similar replacement with the original cost taken off with no great drama. That ended up being Australia Posts fault (and I returned the first item).
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 17 May 2017, 7:15 am

In vic I used my blue receipt and the pta and the shop didn't have a problem, even applied for a second pta the same day with just the license receipt
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 17 May 2017, 10:37 am

If in doubt phone SSAA.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tom Foolery » 17 May 2017, 10:48 am

Dude, ring the gun shop. The worst they can say is no. If you can't take no for an answer or you've just a severely itchy trigger finger ring some other ones until you find one that says yes or give up and wait for your license.

I know which one I'd be doing. :twisted:
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Victorian gun laws