Legalities of multi-calibre carbines in WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Legalities of multi-calibre carbines in WA

Post by Thom318 » 20 May 2017, 9:51 pm

Hi guys,

My apologies for the rookie question, but I was hoping there may be someone with experience of the oddball laws of WA regarding registering a multi-calibre carbine.

I've researched a great deal and I feel a .38sp/.357m lever would suit my requirements well (humane cattle destruction, close range culling of kangaroos, small wild pigs etc.) But I'm unsure how it would be licensed. Do I license it as either a .38 or .357 and be limited to that particular cartridge, or can I legally purchase both rounds? I believe it would be much the same as a circuit judge, chambered for both .45 and .410 shot shells.

Is it like licensing a switch barrel, where the individual barrel calibres are recorded and you're possibly limited by the barrels you (may be allowed) to keep?

Thanks for the help guys,
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Legalities of multi-calibre carbines in WA

Post by Cryptic » 20 May 2017, 10:29 pm

It just gets licensed as a 357. 357 revolvers and most rifles will chamber 38 special as it is just a shorter case than the 357.
Think with the rifles they will list 38/357 on some just to designate that there is no issues with feeding 38 special from the tube as some rifles may have trouble with the slightly shorter cases.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1886 » 21 May 2017, 1:44 pm

This issue was raised awhile ago by WAPOL.

It's now in the hands of the dealer you use as they have to only state the calibre that is engraved on the firearm on the serviceability certificate meaning most will only have 357".

But if you indicate in your supporting letter why you also want to be able to use 38's and a 38 is just a shortened 357 etc you might get lucky.

I have a 357 pump and two levers all licenced as 38/357.

But I would question a 357 being suitable for humane destruction of cattle.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Supaduke » 21 May 2017, 1:54 pm

My mate is a slaughterman, he dispatches live stock with a .22lr to the brainbox. Been doing so for 15+ years. At close range of course, .357 is more than adequate.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 21 May 2017, 4:04 pm

Its a 357 lever that takes smaller ammo.No problem at all.I make .357 pistol rounds where are you based?
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Thom318 » 21 May 2017, 7:27 pm

Thanks for the responses guys,

I did have a feeling that you'd have to have supporting reasoning as to why you want both cartridges. It's not exactly an issue considering the prices of .357 that I've been seeing, .38 seems a bit pointless really

I was actually surprised to find regulations stating no less than .22 mag as a minimum calibre, I thought that was a bit underpowered, even at point blank range. NSW advises a .30 calibre for larger stock just to be sure, and I'm trying to decide between .357 and .30-30
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 21 May 2017, 10:25 pm

I have a question regarding the humane cattle destruction.Are you shooting wild scrub cattle up north or dispatching sick cows down south.I lived on a dairy farm in the south west for 4 years and we lost about 15 cows a year where after birthing they just cant/wont get up.I bought a single shot H and R In .22 Hornet cos I had the reloading dies and it was cheap and at the time we had high/low power laws and Hornet was the biggest chamber in low power and I just wanted one.A .22LR will kill them if shot in the brain from 2 ft or less but anything bigger than hornet is freaking loud at that distance.If you are doing scrub cattle by belting them in the boiler room I would wish to have something with more go than a 30/30 or you risk wounding if you hit bone,A 45/70 or even better 458 Win Mag would be a better choice even then they may run a fair way and unless you want your vehicle smashed up its good to have some authority to belt them hard.Over the years I have hit small roos in the face with a .243 and had them hop off and tapped big roos in the chest with a .17HMR and has them drop stone dead.The minimum the safari guide in the NT would let clients use for scrub bulls was 6.5x55 Swede preferably with solid big game bullet doing around 2500fps not a lead slug doing 1200 out of a .357 you will just piss it off.If you need ,357 loads for terminating sick cows I could make some trail boss loads
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 22 May 2017, 8:28 am

Supaduke wrote:My mate is a slaughterman, he dispatches live stock with a .22lr to the brainbox. Been doing so for 15+ years. At close range of course, .357 is more than adequate.

Yep we do up two killers a year and the butcher only uses a clapped out 22lr. 30/30 on scrubbers out to around 80 yards is more than enough :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Thom318 » 22 May 2017, 8:07 pm

Hi Duncan61,

Thankfully not dealing with ferals up north, just a semi-tame herd in the Wheatbelt area. Euthanasia would be an absolute last choice, which I know many do with a smaller calibre, I just don't want to be underpowered for a decent size bull, and cause more stress than necessary. Range would be measured in inches rather than feet, I just don't want to be under-powered for the job at hand
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Supaduke » 22 May 2017, 10:47 pm

Just be aware, we used to use a .357 power head to euthanise sharks caught up in the nets when I worked on trawlers. At point blank range with a .357 you often get a bit of 'blow back'. Getting tiny chunks of shark brains imbedded in your face is not pleasant ;), might want to cover your face with a rag and wear glasses so daisy the cow doesn't leave a lasting reminder.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 24 May 2017, 11:13 pm

I have to admit I am a little confused and I cant seem to get it out my head.Would you help by giving a bit more Info.At the dairy we had a problem with wild cattle on our hill block where we kept our young cows that are not old enough to breed and the adjoining property was around 1500 acres and the owner put about 400 N/West cattle on it to fatten them and calm them down.Problem was some of the micky bulls with the cows grew up and started getting in with our princess Friesans.The farmer asked me to go up there regular and deal with them.Happy days for me and I ended up terminating 5 of these young bulls over the next month.We had a few brown calves later but no big deal as we sold livestock to the abs regular anyway.So what is this semi tame herd you mention is it escaped stock doing your fences or are they in the state forest.If they are on the hoof you wont get too close before they bolt.I got it easy cos when I pulled up on the hill block the herd would run over cos they think you are going to feed them and the wild bulls would come with them then I would wait till I had a clear shot and belt them in the chest with the 7mm and they would drop on the spot.I had a custom flat bed trailer for doing cattle as I was cleaning up cows for a few people in the area and I would set a block and tackle and quarter them on the spot.I am not sure what you mean by Euthanasia.I thought that was mercy killing.You can tell me to mind my own business or give me a bit more info on the situation
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Thom318 » 26 May 2017, 8:48 pm

Hi Duncan61,

It really is a case of if I have to put them out of their misery, broken leg, bad birthing etc, and they're beyond the help of a vet. It's a small herd ranging between 30 and 50 Angus that my dad and I run outside work. They're all pretty tame, and some actually come up for a scratch, so getting within a couple of feet if They're injured hasn't been as issue so far. We haven't had to put any down so far, but we have lost a couple from bad births and pneumonia, and I prefer not to let an animal suffer
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 26 May 2017, 9:03 pm

Thank you.Got it
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia