Why is there a $100 US export limit

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Why is there a $100 US export limit

Post by Prios » 04 Dec 2013, 9:09 am

Anyone know why exactly there is a $100 US export limit of things?

Seems strange that they wouldn't want people giving them their money?

Just curious anyway.
Browning T-Bolt 17HMR + Leupold VX-1 4-12x40
Browning X Bolt Hunter 30-06 Springfield + Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
Prios
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Why is there a $100 US export limit

Post by Supporter » 04 Dec 2013, 9:19 am

It's not on "things" but various firearm related items specifically.

Pretty sure it's enforced by ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) with a view to not having the US not be responsible for distributing weapons internationally.

It's a political decision, not a commercial/financial one.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Hatter » 04 Dec 2013, 10:03 am

Supporter wrote:Pretty sure it's enforced by ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) with a view to not having the US not be responsible for distributing weapons internationally.

Because the US is usually so conservative about that kind of thing? :lol:
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Broom » 04 Dec 2013, 12:02 pm

Supporter wrote:It's a political decision, not a commercial/financial one.

Probably something they should take into account given the turmoil their economy is in.

Raking in a few more $$$ from outside the country couldn't hurt.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Kaine » 04 Dec 2013, 10:51 pm

It actually has to do with licencing. I am not sure whether there is an agency which operates and enforces ITAR or something else, but for the sale of firearm parts under $100 there is either a cheap licence or no licence.

For anything above this it has to be permitted on a as needed basis, so for every order above $100 a permit needs to be acquired. Which takes time, and money.

I believe some places have a higher licence, and some items, specifically those used by their armed forces, are not allowed to be exported either.

As usual there are outlying items which are exempt, and items which are not in use, but cannot be sold anyway.

I have been told the gist of this, by a number of firearm parts dealers in the past. Typically annoying, but there are ways around it.
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 05 Dec 2013, 5:50 am

Kaine wrote:As usual there are outlying items which are exempt, and items which are not in use, but cannot be sold anyway.

There are some odd exemptions too. I think from memory shotguns didn't have the limit on them?

Just rifles and pistols etc. No idea why...
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Kaine » 05 Dec 2013, 6:22 am

Bourt wrote:There are some odd exemptions too. I think from memory shotguns didn't have the limit on them?

Just rifles and pistols etc. No idea why...

Some shotgun parts are exempt, likely because shotguns are not a very tactical weapon anymore. At least that is my guess, that is how I got some of the gear for my Remy at least.
I believe ITAR is all about not allowing the 'terrorists' to access any American hardware of value, because you know, they were so fussy about that when they handed that sort of gear over when they were 'guerrilla fighters struggling against the evil red menace,' or whatever they used to rationalise funding terrorism.
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by John445 » 05 Dec 2013, 1:45 pm

Kaine wrote:I believe ITAR is all about not allowing the 'terrorists' to access any American hardware of value, because you know, they were so fussy about that when they handed that sort of gear over when they were 'guerrilla fighters struggling against the evil red menace,' or whatever they used to rationalise funding terrorism.

Ok for the US government to sell wholesale to terrorists I guess judging by past events.
John445
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Tiiger » 05 Dec 2013, 1:46 pm

John445 wrote:Ok for the US government to sell wholesale to terrorists I guess judging by past events.

Just not retail?

Cutting out the middle man to keep prices low, hey? :lol:
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hardcast » 05 Dec 2013, 2:17 pm

I think it's Firearm specific, isn't it, ? Barrels, Stocks etc,
I just received all my new Lee stuff, for the new rifle plus some other Lee stuff, well over $100.00.
No probs.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Kaine » 06 Dec 2013, 4:19 am

Tiiger wrote:Just not retail?

Cutting out the middle man to keep prices low, hey? :lol:

Don't want them wasting all that hard earned money on weapons, what if they want to travel?
Plane tickets aren't cheap you know. :lol:

Hardcast wrote:I think it's Firearm specific, isn't it, ? Barrels, Stocks etc,
I just received all my new Lee stuff, for the new rifle plus some other Lee stuff, well over $100.00.
No probs.

It varies from place to place, ITAR is very strict and complicated, so most places just say no more than $100, just so they don't have to worry.
A lot of stuff is exempt, but a lot of stuff is also restricted. There is also legislation about American made goods in those regulations as well.
I never really spent the time looking into it, just confirming beforehand whether or not I can order certain goods.
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Boatman » 06 Dec 2013, 12:13 pm

Kaine wrote:Don't want them wasting all that hard earned money on weapons, what if they want to travel?
Plane tickets aren't cheap you know. :lol:

Awww c'mon. That's low :P
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws