Laws around driving interstate with guns for hunting trip

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Laws around driving interstate with guns for hunting trip

Post by dpskipper » 29 May 2017, 3:10 pm

deleted
Last edited by dpskipper on 04 Nov 2018, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Laws around driving interstate with guns for hunting tri

Post by bladeracer » 29 May 2017, 3:48 pm

dpskipper wrote:g'day, hypothetical situation here...

If I want to drive to Vic for the weekend hunting trip or the like then return back, soon after, is there any paperwork to fill out? Or do I just load up my guns, hide them in the car then drive there and drive back?

You can transport your firearms to or through any state except WA. You can only take firearms into ACT for specific competitions.
You have to comply with the transport laws in your state as well as any state you enter.
Your firearms have to comply with the laws in any state you enter.
If you want to hunt game animals (deer or duck) in Victoria you'll need a game permit even on private property.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 29 May 2017, 4:02 pm

bladeracer wrote:
dpskipper wrote:g'day, hypothetical situation here...

If I want to drive to Vic for the weekend hunting trip or the like then return back, soon after, is there any paperwork to fill out? Or do I just load up my guns, hide them in the car then drive there and drive back?

You can transport your firearms to or through any state except WA. You can only take firearms into ACT for specific competitions.
You have to comply with the transport laws in your state as well as any state you enter.
Your firearms have to comply with the laws in any state you enter.
If you want to hunt game animals (deer or duck) in Victoria you'll need a game permit even on private property.

Thanks Mate. So if I've got this right, I can drive to Vic and store the guns in a friends safe? Both of us will be licenced for those guns and will be using a cat A/B approved safe...
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 May 2017, 4:13 pm

dpskipper wrote:Thanks Mate. So if I've got this right, I can drive to Vic and store the guns in a friends safe? Both of us will be licenced for those guns and will be using a cat A/B approved safe...

Absolutely.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 29 May 2017, 4:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:
dpskipper wrote:Thanks Mate. So if I've got this right, I can drive to Vic and store the guns in a friends safe? Both of us will be licenced for those guns and will be using a cat A/B approved safe...

Absolutely.

What happens if the Police turn up at my house in SA while im in Vic and ask for a safe inspection? Just ask for convenient time and speed back home?
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 29 May 2017, 4:40 pm

Well unless someone is licensed back home they won't/shouldn't have any access to the safe so no inspection can take place, plis you'll be a few 100 kms away
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by yoshie » 29 May 2017, 6:46 pm

Perfectly ok, i used to live in ACT and went shooting in NSW and VIC, there are a few difference about where to lock your bolt and ammo but as long as you're licenced you can drive anywhere around the whole country except WA (WA is another country anyway) as long as you follow safe storage requirements where ever you go, and have valid reasons.
Last edited by yoshie on 29 May 2017, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Wylie27 » 29 May 2017, 6:48 pm

In Victoria or ACT do you need to lock your bolt away?
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 29 May 2017, 7:09 pm

Same with nsw..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 29 May 2017, 7:25 pm

Vic you cant lock bolt with ammo, classified as storing a gun with ammo, ACT and QLD bolt must be stored separate to gun, locked in with ammo is ok. ACT rifle must be in locked box bolted to car or tethered to vehicle. They had an incident where a a gun was lost after a car crash, gun was found near the crash site a few days later 40m away by a member of the public. So if you want to drive from QLD to VIC to go hunting via NSW and ACT you need to stop along the way at the boarders and change a few thing unless you have a locked box bolted to the vechile with separate storage for ammo AND bolt.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by AusTac » 29 May 2017, 8:03 pm

Well i've had two inspections with fully assembled guns bolt in mag in i did make a point of removing mag and clearing them before showing etc so i dunno, i got to keep my license both times though lol
Last edited by AusTac on 29 May 2017, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Return to Victorian gun laws