Crossbow

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Crossbow

Post by Jandamurra » 04 Jul 2017, 3:11 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-23/chinas-toothpick-crossbow-nightmare/8647770?pfmredir=sm&sf91697600=1&smid=Page:%20ABC%20News-Facebook_Organic&WT.tsrc=Facebook&WT.tsrc=Facebook_Organic

Amazing. We're actually less free than Mainland China when it comes to crossbows.
One needs to look at what's happened already in order to understand what could happen in the future if we are not alert.
It's not hard-at least, I wouldn't have thought so.
The recipe goes:
Guns are dangerous. Ban many types and introduce severe regulations including universal registration for the remaining legal types.
After a number of years, rinse and repeat with crossbows-too similar to guns, you see.
But wait, there's still heaps of cattle (us) with unregulated bows and arrows.
Rinse and repeat again, this time being sure to say it will only be some bows and arrows-say, long bows and compound bows. Only some until you're ready for the rest.
It's not #$@&^ rocket science. You'd have to be actually trying not to understand, I reckon.
The same with what I was saying about the similarity of compound bows with crossbows. I never said they were exactly the same. They are somewhat similar in that both allow the archer to hold the drawn bow longer than a recurve allows. Both types allow a user to draw a bow he or she would not otherwise be able to draw. They are also easier to be accurate with than recurves. I expressed a personal opinion that perhaps for those reasons, a compound bow is practically as good as a crossbow.
I am certain they are just waiting for the day to use these sorts of arguments. Rinse and repeat, divide and rule.
Now they've got us used to the idea of crossbows being a big no-no, they can move on to the next thing.
The thought of a government move onto bows and arrows is scary but burying one's head in the sand and refusing to see a clear pattern isn't going to improve our chances of preventing it.
\Finally, it's worth noting in passing that the self-loading crossbow invented by Joerg Sprave would have been regarded as nothing but a toy until various parts of Australia passed their Dangerous Weapons Acts in 1998.
Now you can go to prison for possessing a slingshot.
And I'm supposed to be a paranoid weirdo for wondering if they're going to go after normal bows and arrows next!
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Victorian gun laws