Advice on installing safe in plaster board (WA)

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Advice on installing safe in plaster board (WA)

Post by Thom318 » 10 Jun 2017, 8:13 pm

Hi guys,

Things are finally moving forward and my safe should arrive next week. Now I'm starting to worry about how to install it properly. I've got wood floors and plaster board walls to work with.
I'm not able to pull the plaster sheets off the wall to use nuts and bolt, but I'm guessing they won't accept tech screws or self rappers either.
Can you guys please suggest the best hardware to use, and how best to do it?
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Advice on installing safe in plaster board (WA)

Post by knowsnothin » 10 Jun 2017, 8:25 pm

I think you need to read the regs.
Plasterboard won't cut it.
needs to be bolted to two structural surfaces.

i think 10 or 12mm bolts with 50mm washers. If you bolts are accessible on the outside of safe, they need to be welded so cannot be undone.
don't quote me. you need to get it right because WAPOL request photographic evidence of the installation before you get your bang sticks
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Tom Foolery » 10 Jun 2017, 8:34 pm

See if you can place it in the internal corner of two walls. Locate a stud on each side and screw in four 12mm coach screws with a mudguard washer. Take a couple of pictures and send to the cops. If they reject it go to plan B.
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Jun 2017, 11:13 pm

I've got no idea why your worrying about timber floors and gyprock walls for,,,,,,,
Just make sure your safe weighs more than 150 kgs empty (I bet WA regs say different to the normal states) ,,,,,,,,,,
but really,,,,,,,,,,,
Look up the recommended minimum weight,,,,, comply,,,,,, and don't worry about bolting it to walls or floor.

Really,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :silent:

Problem solved.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by knowsnothin » 11 Jun 2017, 7:21 am

Die Judicii wrote:I've got no idea why your worrying about timber floors and gyprock walls for,,,,,,,
Just make sure your safe weighs more than 150 kgs empty (I bet WA regs say different to the normal states) ,,,,,,,,,,
but really,,,,,,,,,,,
Look up the recommended minimum weight,,,,, comply,,,,,, and don't worry about bolting it to walls or floor.

Really,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :silent:

Problem solved.

i don't believe there is a minimum weight provision in WA.
gotta be bolted even if its a 5000kg $40 million bank vault with a 3 week fire rating.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Thom318 » 11 Jun 2017, 10:54 am

Awesome, thanks for your help guys. I wasn't quite sure about the regs, they just seemed to apply to brick and concrete, but it sounds easier than I expected
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Jun 2017, 3:18 pm

studs(&joist) finder (electronic or knuckle)

10mm/12mm COACH screws....more the better
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by sebrule » 11 Jun 2017, 9:43 pm

Just use coach bolts. Did the safe photos a few months back. Pretty easy going just make sure the washers are up to par. If it doesn't pass you should get a phone call with a few weeks to fix it.
sebrule
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by BRNOmod2 » 12 Jun 2017, 11:41 pm

I live in WA, have multiple safes and my last 2 houses have been timber floorboards and plaster board internal walls and I have had my installations inspected and passed. I find the wall stud and screw in with coach bolts (check the regs for WA on the wapol website for minimum coach bolt size) You may have issue getting suitable washers from your local hardware store in wa as the correct diameter washers (again check the regs for washer size required in WA) often the larger washers sold in hardware store have a larger hole thru the guts, making them useless/not acceptable by wapol - I go to local steel supplier and by strap steel that is wider and thicker than required regs and cut a length for back of safe and length for floor of safe, drill holes as required and use those. One of my safe locations didn't have a bearer or joist ( sorry not a builder and can't remember which one supports the floorboards) under where I wanted to bolt in safe, so I crawled under house and put in new length of 4x4 jarrah so coach bolts had something a bit more to bit into than half inch floor boards.
BRNOmod2
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jun 2017, 6:23 am

BRNOmod2 wrote:I live in WA, have multiple safes and my last 2 houses have been timber floorboards and plaster board internal walls and I have had my installations inspected and passed. I find the wall stud and screw in with coach bolts (check the regs for WA on the wapol website for minimum coach bolt size) You may have issue getting suitable washers from your local hardware store in wa as the correct diameter washers (again check the regs for washer size required in WA) often the larger washers sold in hardware store have a larger hole thru the guts, making them useless/not acceptable by wapol - I go to local steel supplier and by strap steel that is wider and thicker than required regs and cut a length for back of safe and length for floor of safe, drill holes as required and use those. One of my safe locations didn't have a bearer or joist ( sorry not a builder and can't remember which one supports the floorboards) under where I wanted to bolt in safe, so I crawled under house and put in new length of 4x4 jarrah so coach bolts had something a bit more to bit into than half inch floor boards.

How sensible is that? That is exactly what I would do and have seen a couple fitted the same in Vic.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Western Australia gun laws