Storing firearms away from Home NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Storing firearms away from Home NSW

Post by rklk » 15 Jun 2017, 4:46 pm

Hello all,
New gun owner here, just got them a few days ago and cannot install a safe in my home, so i rented a safe at my closest range.
Only problem is that range is a Pistol range, and i only have Cat A/B firearms.
Questions:
1. How do storage inspections work in my case? Do i still have to do an inspection? Will I be contacted and have to travel to the range to facilitate the inspection?
2. Am I allowed to take firearms out and keep them overnight at home for use at a range the next day? the range i store my firearms opening times don't match up with my shooting schedule, the Range either opens to late for me to get my firearms and travel to another range, or closes way to early for me to reach the range after a shoot to store my firearms. In fact the Range is closed all day on Friday and Saturday, so basically i wouldn't be able to shoot Thursday-Sunday.
Just really worried and don't want to lose my license, thanks for your advice guys.
rklk
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Storing firearms away from Home NSW

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jun 2017, 5:55 pm

rklk wrote:Hello all,
New gun owner here, just got them a few days ago and cannot install a safe in my home, so i rented a safe at my closest range.
Only problem is that range is a Pistol range, and i only have Cat A/B firearms.
Questions:
1. How do storage inspections work in my case? Do i still have to do an inspection? Will I be contacted and have to travel to the range to facilitate the inspection?
2. Am I allowed to take firearms out and keep them overnight at home for use at a range the next day? the range i store my firearms opening times don't match up with my shooting schedule, the Range either opens to late for me to get my firearms and travel to another range, or closes way to early for me to reach the range after a shoot to store my firearms. In fact the Range is closed all day on Friday and Saturday, so basically i wouldn't be able to shoot Thursday-Sunday.
Just really worried and don't want to lose my license, thanks for your advice guys.

I would've thought a self-storage place would be better. They're generally 24-hour access.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Jun 2017, 9:16 pm

This is something you should have sorted out before you got your firearms.
Short of it is, in NSW, NO, you cannot have them unsecured overnight at home. Different story if you are travelling. What did you put as your safekeeping address?
I'd suggest getting a shooting buddy who lives nearby with adequate storage or as Bladeracer suggests, paying for a storage lock-up that will let you mount a safe in your unit.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jun 2017, 9:59 pm

Gamerancher wrote:This is something you should have sorted out before you got your firearms.
Short of it is, in NSW, NO, you cannot have them unsecured overnight at home. Different story if you are travelling. What did you put as your safekeeping address?
I'd suggest getting a shooting buddy who lives nearby with adequate storage or as Bladeracer suggests, paying for a storage lock-up that will let you mount a safe in your unit.

While I tend to agree, I'm not so sure. If you are at your listed storage address then they should be locked up when not in use. If your storage address is the club then I'm not sure you couldn't have them at home with good reason, for cleaning them for example. Don't think I'd want to test it the hard way though. Why can't you have a safe at home?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bullzeye » 16 Jun 2017, 9:42 am

I agree with the above, a self-storage facility would better suit your needs as opposed to a pistol range.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rklk » 16 Jun 2017, 11:29 am

Understood guys, main reason i can't is that i don't own the place i currently stay in and can't mount a safe in the house. My only problem with the self storage solution is that it seems to be extremely expensive compared to what i would pay for storing at the current range i am at
rklk
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 16 Jun 2017, 11:33 am

I don't know the rules in NSW, but in SA if the empty weight of the safe is greater than 150kg you don't need to bolt it down. Is that an option in NSW?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by rklk » 16 Jun 2017, 11:34 am

Also still want to know how safe storage inspections work in regards to storing firearms away from home
rklk
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Jun 2017, 11:42 am

If they decide to inspect your storage, they will go to the safekeeping address you have nominated. If all is well and good, no problem. If they pick a day that you have them sitting at home "unsecured", you may have a problem.
The 150kg empty weight safes don't have to be bolted down in NSW, that may be your best option.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... 5_V1.6.pdf
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by rklk » 16 Jun 2017, 11:51 am

I understand, ill probably just have to thread the needle and try only goto the range when i have access to the pistol range. So I get a phone call right and then have show up? or do i organise a time for the inspection?
rklk
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Jun 2017, 12:05 pm

Depends on where you are and how the local whollopers operate. I've been inspected a few times and they have sometimes rang ahead and other times they have just shown up at the door. I live out in the centre of the state.

If the range hours are impractical, perhaps speak with your local gunshop, they may have reasonable rates for storage and hours that are more suited to your needs. :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 16 Jun 2017, 1:20 pm

With all respect, if you don't have to bolt down a safe that weighs more than 150kg, that's far and away your best option. Buy yourself an asset that gives you legal compliance, no issues with rental agreements and you have 24hr 7 days a week access to your firearms. Be stuffed if I would pay for storage . That's just throwing away money.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by doc » 16 Jun 2017, 2:13 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:With all respect, if you don't have to bolt down a safe that weighs more than 150kg, that's far and away your best option. Buy yourself an asset that gives you legal compliance, no issues with rental agreements and you have 24hr 7 days a week access to your firearms. Be stuffed if I would pay for storage . That's just throwing away money.

+ 1 :thumbsup:

Paying for rent vs buying a heavy safe - I second Bent Arrow's suggestion.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Archie » 16 Jun 2017, 2:58 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:With all respect, if you don't have to bolt down a safe that weighs more than 150kg, that's far and away your best option. Buy yourself an asset that gives you legal compliance, no issues with rental agreements and you have 24hr 7 days a week access to your firearms. Be stuffed if I would pay for storage . That's just throwing away money.

I would do this in a heartbeat, except for the fact that no one, as near as I can tell, makes a small 150kg safe. I live in a place that is both difficult to bolt down in, and small, so what I really want is a safe that can fit in a built-in that the manufacturer has (deliberately and permanently) made a lot heavier than it needs to be - line it with lead or something. But most of the ones that pass the 150kg weight requirement are huge.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 16 Jun 2017, 7:59 pm

Here you go.

Or buy a smaller one and get some plate welded into the bottom to take it over 150kg. A custom built safe will be stupidily expensive.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170616-191331.png
Screenshot_20170616-191331.png (387.52 KiB) Viewed 6495 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jun 2017, 12:11 am

rklk wrote:Also still want to know how safe storage inspections work in regards to storing firearms away from home

I think generally they inspect at your convenience, which implies that you are available and not tied up hunting or shooting at the time. Which further implies that your firearms should therefore be securely locked in your safes, or in somebody else's safes, and if a firearm is missing I have heard of them going to inspect that other safe to confirm you are being truthful, our word is never good enough.

If you are at home while your storage address is elsewhere then I don't see they have any cause that would allow them to enter your home to look for unsecured firearms, at least not until after they have inspected your safes and discovered your firearms are not secured there. They would then probably have sufficient cause to believe they could be unsecured at your home.

I would very honestly ignore whatever ridiculous restrictions your rental agreement dictates and properly secure your firearms in your residence. I would much rather have to deal with the expense of repairing some holes in the walls and floor than be in court trying to convince a judge that you thought you were taking all reasonable precautions to secure your firearms as required while hoping to get your firearms returned.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 17 Jun 2017, 12:27 am

Can i ask what range it is.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by rklk » 17 Jun 2017, 1:26 am

150 kg safe would not be practical because the fact that the person who owns the house happens to be one of my parents who would ask why i have a gigantic safe in the kitchen.. who also wouldn't approve of me storing firearms in the home... should've made that clearer...

again i'l just have to figure which days i can and can't shoot so that i can get the guns out of the safe and back in safe without breaking the Law. Plan B would to get a Cat H license if i want to shoot more often but I don't mind just shooting once a month.

Thanks for the help guys
rklk
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 17 Jun 2017, 9:51 am

Right, so the real problem is you live with a parent and they are anti-gun...........

Move out, or accept that you can only have very limited shooting time.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by TheGreenwolf » 21 Jun 2017, 4:11 pm

some self storage companies offer gun storage. kennards i think is one.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Daddybang » 21 Jun 2017, 5:06 pm

Any chance of talking to other shooter's at the club and maybe storing the firearm at their place not ideal I know but better than the current situation? :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by rklk » 05 Jul 2017, 11:44 am

just an update guys, Turns out the guy at the pistol range misspoke and forgot to mention that i can shoot rifles in pistol/Rimfire calibres, since shooting 22lr is pretty cheap all is well. Gonna practice up with the 22lr, then wait for the stars to align and then go shoot at a rifle range.
Once again thanks guys :D
rklk
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws