How young is too young to start shooting?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

How young is too young to start shooting?

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 18 Jun 2017, 8:52 pm

Hey, I would like to get some opinions on a reasonable age for a minor to (legally) start being taught to use a firearm. In my view, there is no such thing as too young, however I am aware that there are many conflicting views. I have twin nephews who are almost 5, and one of them absolutely LOVES guns, he's devastated when we tell him that he is not allowed in the gun room or to touch the guns except occasionally when he pushes the cleaning rod through. I decided I would make a replica of two of our firearms (one replica which is a cross between the lithgow la101 and the marlin xt-22) and both of the boys can show that they know the general safety and operation protocols, and I would love to be able to take them to a property and teach them the use of a real firearm.

If you have any similar experiences or opinions, please share, and also advice on further teaching the boys while staying within the law would be appreciated.
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: How young is too young

Post by Ben78 » 18 Jun 2017, 9:02 pm

I believe the law says 12 and only then with a minors permit, so probably not going to get much more than that on a public forum.

That said, it is going to benefit them if you start discussing the rules from an early age, and that may well be from what you have stated so far about not being allowed in gun room etc.
Ben78
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 18 Jun 2017, 9:14 pm

12yo here in vic and only need to be under instruction of a licensed shooter, but I know of children as young as 7 helping out with cleaning and other things and I think if you have guns in your home it may be best to teach them what you want them to know rather than they hear.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 18 Jun 2017, 9:21 pm

I reckon it depends on the child. Not all kids are capable of understanding the instructions or the safety involved with firearms at the same age. Using your best judgment is probably more important than the age of the kids. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by gazza » 18 Jun 2017, 9:28 pm

Take them hunting. Even without shooting they'll learn heaps and wont get as bored as watching target practice.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 18 Jun 2017, 9:46 pm

12 legally, but as a parent... I recon 5, if they are a mature 5yo. And like you said, little mr is pretty devastated that he is not allowed to go pew pew pew with dad. It's pretty s**ty. Especially, when you live in the city and say you go to a property and decide to take them with you (just to watch, you know...) and they go back to school and start swinging their I went shooting dick around and you are in the world of s**t. I am guessing rural areas is a different story.

He has Nerf gun that he knows not to shoot the dog with, but using brother for target practice is a different story. Or pointing at everyone. I told him when I see him follow all the rules, we will kick it up notch with a ballistically superior product.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 18 Jun 2017, 10:22 pm

juststarting wrote:and they go back to school and start swinging their I went shooting dick around and you are in the world of s**t. I am guessing rural areas is a different story. .

:lol: never even thought of that, but then again i don't have kids, but have seen kids that would be more than capable/safe to have a shoot before practically being a teenager, and theres some 12 year olds in the same boat that i wouldn't give s rusty fork to let alone a firearm
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by juststarting » 18 Jun 2017, 10:29 pm

yep. It's not supervising your kid you got to be worried about, it's the mofo wearing a tshirt and a scarf who pees a little when he hears that this kid here got to shoot a .22 Adler fully semi auto rocket launcher with 99 belt fed munitions
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 19 Jun 2017, 11:51 am

Different states = different laws. The about to be outdated legislation in SA stated 10 years old. The incoming legislation removes the minimum age. Discussed recently here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8148#p129143
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by doc » 19 Jun 2017, 12:12 pm

I put it back to you to ask yourself the same question - but replace firearms with Cars.

How young is too young to start teaching your child about cars / car awareness? You need to be 16/17/18 before you can drive a car - but you start teaching them well before then.

As soon as my child was capable of understanding anything road related, I started teaching them about cars. This obviously didn't mean they drove a car, but I started teaching them about how to be aware of them, the risks, what not to touch, etc.

I don't see much difference between this and making them firearm aware. It's never too young to teach your child to be aware of anything - you just need to choose at what age the child is capable of understanding and taking how much in.

I believe I saw somewhere once a test done with kids that were taught vs kids that weren't. A scenario was made where the kids 'found' a firearm that was disposed of over a back fence by a fleeing crook. The kids with firearm awareness new not to touch it, etc. The other kids, picked it up, looked down the barrel, etc. After seeing that, my thoughts are the younger the better!
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 19 Jun 2017, 12:22 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Different states = different laws. The about to be outdated legislation in SA stated 10 years old. The incoming legislation removes the minimum age. Discussed recently here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8148#p129143

Just got off the phone to SAPOL firearms. The new regulations must be read in conjunction with the existing Act. Minimum age in SA is still 10 years old for Cat A
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jun 2017, 7:05 pm

doc wrote:I put it back to you to ask yourself the same question - but replace firearms with Cars.

How young is too young to start teaching your child about cars / car awareness? You need to be 16/17/18 before you can drive a car - but you start teaching them well before then.

As soon as my child was capable of understanding anything road related, I started teaching them about cars. This obviously didn't mean they drove a car, but I started teaching them about how to be aware of them, the risks, what not to touch, etc.

I don't see much difference between this and making them firearm aware. It's never too young to teach your child to be aware of anything - you just need to choose at what age the child is capable of understanding and taking how much in.

I believe I saw somewhere once a test done with kids that were taught vs kids that weren't. A scenario was made where the kids 'found' a firearm that was disposed of over a back fence by a fleeing crook. The kids with firearm awareness new not to touch it, etc. The other kids, picked it up, looked down the barrel, etc. After seeing that, my thoughts are the younger the better!

Doc just nailed it. But for use, each state is different.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 19 Jun 2017, 7:06 pm

I'm 60 Dad introduced my older brothers and I to shooting when we were each around 5, maybe 6. Dad grew up on a Kansas farm where hunting and fishing were common place for children and growing up, it was the same for us.
Dad, Mother too, had the philosophy that if you demystified something you reduced the chance of having accidents. Because of that my brothers and I could ask dad to show us a gun at almost any time. It also resulted in us knowing safe gun handling at an early age.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Bent Arrow » 19 Jun 2017, 8:35 pm

It's a wise move to educate them from an early age. My boy was doing competitive archery at 7, but I waited until he was 10 for firearms. Started with an air rifle and now 22lr. I think it was a good transition

Every kid is going to be different....
Attachments
_20170619_195555.JPG
_20170619_195555.JPG (698.31 KiB) Viewed 3553 times
_20170619_195618.JPG
_20170619_195618.JPG (843.36 KiB) Viewed 3553 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Return to Queensland gun laws