Travelling through SA to WA with Vic registered firearms

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Travelling through SA to WA with Vic registered firearms

Post by d3driver » 19 Jun 2017, 9:20 am

Hi all. A trip with a few mates has recently been proposed that would see 3-4 VIC registered rifles taken through SA into WA. They would be locked in the rear of 4WDs. I have searched for answers in this forum but didn't find anything specific. Can someone please let me know what requirements there are for the transportation of firearms into SA and WA?

Many thanks, Will
Last edited by d3driver on 19 Jun 2017, 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Currently:
Weatherby VG S2 in .223 in Boyds Thumbhole, Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50
Sako Finnfire Hunter .22, Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 (my old .22 bought back)
d3driver
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Travelling through SA to WA with Vic registered firearms

Post by dpskipper » 19 Jun 2017, 9:25 am

I asked the same question here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8144
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Jun 2017, 9:49 am

Probably a great idea to ring the FR involved and make sure you get the correct info (get it in writing) that way you should be ok.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by d3driver » 19 Jun 2017, 9:58 am

To answer my own question (which means I really should have done more research before posting here):
Have a letter from landowner authorising you to shoot on their property
Fill out this form: https://pvpc.com.au/wp-content/uploads/ ... tion-1.pdf which is almost a licence application!
Pay $58/month

So in short, the firearms will stay in the safe at home.
Currently:
Weatherby VG S2 in .223 in Boyds Thumbhole, Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50
Sako Finnfire Hunter .22, Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 (my old .22 bought back)
d3driver
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Jun 2017, 10:41 am

Okay, you have answered your own question. I have traveled to WA with firearms for competitions and had to fill out that paperwork. Question#1 #2 & # 4 got me, I had to resist. the urge to fill it in "see above heading on your form" or, "yes, hence the interstate visitor application"
The other requirement that is printed on the permit once you get one, is that every piece of ammo must be accounted for. If you bring it in, you must take it out. So don't loose any empty cases and pick up all of your spent .22's.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by doc » 19 Jun 2017, 10:56 am

So what happens if I want to tour around Australia camping for 6-12 months with my firearms to shoot on multiple properties, and at various clubs? The form listed seems very particular - so I wonder if they'd be happy with the casual arrangement, or whether I just avoid WA completely from my retirement plans?

Edit: Just read further on the application:

Temporary Permits are issued up to 3 Months Only
- and are only issued twice per year.

... so I guess I need to plan very particular and not have a casual trip around Australia, or avoid WA.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Jun 2017, 11:05 am

Yeah, every other state recognizes your home state licence. Not W.A. Check out the department in charge, STATE CRIME DIVISION.
That tells you how prejudiced they are against shooters.
You must have specifics to get a permit, so you would need to have property letters or competition entries in place.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jun 2017, 2:44 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Yeah, every other state recognizes your home state licence. Not W.A. Check out the department in charge, STATE CRIME DIVISION.
That tells you how prejudiced they are against shooters.
You must have specifics to get a permit, so you would need to have property letters or competition entries in place.

When I went back in 2015 I didn't need anything. I just answered the questions they asked and they filled out the permit. They didn't even inspect my firearms to confirm I actually had any. The permit they gave me at Eucla was the wrong one. They gave me a transport permit for firearms you are bringing in to be licenced in WA. When I renewed it they gave me the correct permit, but they forgot to ask me to sign it before handing it to me. The actual officer who had given it me then wanted to know why it was unsigned when I went to renew it again. I told them to check their own copy.

Your firearms do have to be WA-legal too. None of our Mexican Specials allowed.
When the permits expire because you got sick for a few weeks they will politely ask you to hand your unregistered firearms in for destruction, or drive to the border and leave them on the other side of it. I took mine to a dealer who mailed them back to my local dealer here - not strictly legal though as even the dealer is not allowed to possess these "unregistered" firearms.

It is also illegal to possess any ammunition or components that do not suit the firearms listed on the permits _and_ that is listed on the permits. If you have five .22LR rifles listed but no .22LR ammo then you can't possess any ammo.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jun 2017, 2:48 pm

doc wrote:So what happens if I want to tour around Australia camping for 6-12 months with my firearms to shoot on multiple properties, and at various clubs? The form listed seems very particular - so I wonder if they'd be happy with the casual arrangement, or whether I just avoid WA completely from my retirement plans?

Edit: Just read further on the application:

Temporary Permits are issued up to 3 Months Only
- and are only issued twice per year.

... so I guess I need to plan very particular and not have a casual trip around Australia, or avoid WA.

The permits are "per firearm", so after the six months expires on the first ones, if you can post your firearms back home via a dealer and have your dealer send you some of your other firearms you can get new permits for those. The permits also cost $54 per month. Oh, and they only do permits on weekdays at Firearms branch. Oh yes, if you go through Eucla on a weekend they'll give you a permit that expires on a weekend...which you can't renew on that weekend.

My recommendation, avoid WA - they do not want you there.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Jun 2017, 3:39 pm

Just give the ****** (WA) a miss, it full of steers and queers and animal rights ****** so you aren't missing much.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Jun 2017, 10:20 pm

bentaz wrote:WA sucks, just stay in Australia!

:thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws