Touring and taking a firearm

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Touring and taking a firearm

Post by Browning » 22 Jun 2017, 9:44 pm

Thinking of a doing a Simpson Desert trip in the near future. Would be traveling through Qld, NT and SA and covering close to 7000kms.
Have been speaking to a variety of people about their experiences and a LOT of them have suggested traveling with a firearm locked up in the back.
What do you guys think? Worth it or not and what have any of you done in the past?
I'm pretty sure you aren't "allowed" a firearm in the desert (NP and all) but I'm sure there would be plenty of people who gone through with one "just in case"....
Just keen to hear people's thoughts. The guys in my local ARB store have done the Simpson a dozen times and all of them unanimously said "abso-bloody-lutely" they'd take one if you were licensed.
Thanks
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Touring and taking a firearm

Post by Wombat » 22 Jun 2017, 9:56 pm

Traveling through a NP with a firearm locked away is legal, camping with one is not. Personally I would like to have one or two with me, however that would be illegal.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 22 Jun 2017, 10:55 pm

Unless you are going to shoot something for the pot why bother.It is quite busy in winter and I am not sure if there is much game out there.If you were driving around the East Gascoyne I would say yes as there is lots too shoot and no people
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2017, 2:40 am

duncan61 wrote:Unless you are going to shoot something for the pot why bother.It is quite busy in winter and I am not sure if there is much game out there.If you were driving around the East Gascoyne I would say yes as there is lots too shoot and no people

If there are no people doesn't that make it difficult to get permission to shoot on their properties?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rocker » 23 Jun 2017, 10:13 am

Browning wrote:The guys in my local ARB store have done the Simpson a dozen times and all of them unanimously said "abso-bloody-lutely" they'd take one if you were licensed.

Sounds like talk from guys who are unlicensed and don't know anything about the realities / laws of having firearms in Australia.

Personally, yes, I would like to have one with me if doing the trip in case a hunting opportunity presented itself.

But I wouldn't do it illegally.

And avoiding the places and stops where you aren't allowed a firearm would take a lot away from the trip I think.

2c.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Mitch » 23 Jun 2017, 11:30 am

This is the dumbest crap i have ever read on here. You are basically saying to us "would you break the law just cause you want to".

My 2c is find out what and where it is legal, and what oppurtunities you will have to use it. No reason to have it but taking it anyway could be frowned upon.

Also i thought WA you need a permit if from a different state?
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Browning » 23 Jun 2017, 12:11 pm

Mitch wrote:This is the dumbest crap i have ever read on here. You are basically saying to us "would you break the law just cause you want to".

My 2c is find out what and where it is legal, and what oppurtunities you will have to use it. No reason to have it but taking it anyway could be frowned upon.

Also i thought WA you need a permit if from a different state?

Not saying that at all mate. I'm saying that I know a lot of people who take firearms touring, for either safety or an "opportunity". I'm wondering what people's thoughts are? I mean, you're not technically going to a hunting destination, but would you still travel with one?
I also said in the OP I was going through Qld, NT and SA; nowhere near WA.....
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 23 Jun 2017, 12:45 pm

Kinda sounds like you want a firearm for self defence :huh:
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jun 2017, 2:11 pm

I often just take an old 12g camping, but not interstate. As you say opportunities do pop up from time to time. Just seems like unless your sure you will have a need or it's an organised hunting trip it's too much trouble to take one interstate these days.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 23 Jun 2017, 10:18 pm

AusTac wrote:Kinda sounds like you want a firearm for self defence :huh:

I think he means for survival - food gathering rather than self defense.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 23 Jun 2017, 10:33 pm

Now that you put it that way, i guess if he gets a major mechanical fault out in the desert the op could go all local and shoot some bush tucker
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by duncan61 » 25 Jun 2017, 4:10 pm

Blade .the East Gascoyne covers 46,602 square kilometres.The population is 250 and 221 of them live in and around the town of Gascoyne junction.My point is from what I have read about the Simpson desert it is popular in winter months and you do not wish to be shooting at something and a convoy of campers turn up.I did most of my Kangaroo culling at Mt Augustus in the Gascoyne and it is about 550 k from Carnarvon and I have rarely seen another vehicle driving out there.There are abandoned stations that are not occupied and one phone call to any working stations and they will let you shoot on your way past.Some of the properties out there can be over a million acres.The cattle free wander so there are not many fences
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 25 Jun 2017, 4:36 pm

There is good game to be had as well.Once you leave the coastal properties all the goats are feral and the local red roos are very good food if small there are bush turkeys and all sorts of ducks if you find water.plus wild dogs cats and foxes which all farmers wish gone
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by gazza » 25 Jun 2017, 5:30 pm

I would try to get some hunting permission before I went. Personally I think traveling around there without a rifle would be like going to the Goldie without a board. I don't know about the legal side though.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Browning » 25 Jun 2017, 6:49 pm

Judging by the variety of responses on here, that's the exact reason why I asked. I'm a bit like Gazza, no reason specifically to take one, just makes sense to have one on board.
I've got plenty of places to go shooting on where I live so it's not like I'm actively looking to cull stuff; it's just another potentially useful tool I spose..
Thanks for all replies.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2017, 9:49 pm

duncan61 wrote:There is good game to be had as well.Once you leave the coastal properties all the goats are feral and the local red roos are very good food if small there are bush turkeys and all sorts of ducks if you find water.plus wild dogs cats and foxes which all farmers wish gone

Bush turkeys?
When I was up there the blackfella's called the bustard a "bush turkey", but they're protected, or were back in the '90's.
Biggest feral problem where I was was donkey herds. The were culling them by helicopter back then.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 25 Jun 2017, 10:11 pm

Thats the one the Australian Bustard.They are very oily and dont get caught doing it.So you have been there you know how remote it is.We have shot a few donkeys more to the north of the area
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2017, 10:14 pm

duncan61 wrote:Thats the one the Australian Bustard.They are very oily and dont get caught doing it.So you have been there you know how remote it is.We have shot a few donkeys more to the north of the area

Yes, I've eaten lots of bush tucker as I was working on remote communities.
I know it's remote, but I'm never going to suggest anybody should simply go out there with a firearm without permission of the landowners. I think the entire northwest is private property or restricted access?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 25 Jun 2017, 10:25 pm

Agreed
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 26 Jun 2017, 8:20 am

bladeracer wrote:
duncan61 wrote:There is good game to be had as well.Once you leave the coastal properties all the goats are feral and the local red roos are very good food if small there are bush turkeys and all sorts of ducks if you find water.plus wild dogs cats and foxes which all farmers wish gone

Bush turkeys?
When I was up there the blackfella's called the bustard a "bush turkey", but they're protected, or were back in the '90's.
Biggest feral problem where I was was donkey herds. The were culling them by helicopter back then.

Just to clarify. .Bush turkeys on the east coast are those little black buggers with either purple or yellow crops that dig the sh@t out of ya garden and build huge mounds for nests. The bustard is called a plains turkey and don't build mounds. They are both native and therefore protected.
:thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 26 Jun 2017, 10:51 am

Are they protected cos they are native ?I have seen thousands of them in certain places.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 26 Jun 2017, 11:11 am

All native land animals are protected that's why you need permit to cull roos etc and why you aren't meant to shoot snakes unless they are a direct threat :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jun 2017, 1:33 pm

Daddybang wrote:All native land animals are protected that's why you need permit to cull roos etc and why you aren't meant to shoot snakes unless they are a direct threat :thumbsup:

I think all animals are protected. Even non-natives need to be declared feral or given pest status before we can shoot them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 26 Jun 2017, 6:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Daddybang wrote:All native land animals are protected that's why you need permit to cull roos etc and why you aren't meant to shoot snakes unless they are a direct threat :thumbsup:

I think all animals are protected. Even non-natives need to be declared feral or given pest status before we can shoot them.

Ya may be right there mate. I can't think of any non natives that aren't declared feral though. In qld anyway. :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jun 2017, 8:48 pm

Say what you will fellas,but I travel from state to state and around the outback.
Whether the chance arises to go hunting ,or I am stuck in the pitch black way out west somewhere broken down,I will always feel safer with a rifle locked in the vehicle with me.
Member-Deleted

Return to Queensland gun laws