Storage of firearms and ammunition in Victoria

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Storage of firearms and ammunition in Victoria

Post by Conallin24 » 28 Jun 2017, 10:41 pm

Hi guys, my friend is getting back into shooting. He is in Victoria. He doesn't have the money at the moment for a new safe and has decided that he would like to reuse items he has for his storage of firearms and ammunition. I would like to know if the following is legally acceptable or if I need to talk to him about other options. We have a three door standard filing cabinet with a key lock made of steel. Can this be used to store ammunition legally? Also a double door thin steel lockable container that he would like to have Cat A and B inside (not as thick as a safe you might buy at a gunshop) if you need to know more to answer let me know. Thanks
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Storage of firearms and ammunition in Victoria

Post by Wombat » 28 Jun 2017, 11:07 pm

Ammo can be in a plastic toolbox so long as its padlocked. Safes are a bit different as its somewhat up to the officer/s inspecting interpretation of the rules and your implementation of them. I think even a solid wood lockable cabinet fastened to the building structure still complies, but I've played it safe and bought commercial storage to avoid any hassles.
A Five gun safe is still cheaper than one new decent .22........Secondhand even cheaper.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jun 2017, 5:27 am

Last edited by Oldbloke on 29 Jun 2017, 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 29 Jun 2017, 5:30 am

To me it is a moral thing.

How would i feel if my rifles were to be stolen and in the hands of god knows who?

Money also plays a part. I have essentially ~$12,000 in the safe. I want it secure.

Either way for me dont skimp, get a decent safe.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 29 Jun 2017, 10:00 am

Most of those thin double door cabinets can be opened by popping the top off, yanking hard on the handle or popping a screwdriver into a pivot pin or under the hinges. Not sure about open to interpretation, but considering you're going to bolt it to a wall, kicking one hard enough would open it... If it's what I think it is, you'd fail the inspection and no more pew pew.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by doc » 29 Jun 2017, 10:27 am

Wombat wrote:Ammo can be in a plastic toolbox so long as its padlocked

Just for clarification and reference to the actual regulations - Wombat is referring to Schedule 4, Item 1 (3), or Schedule 4, Item 2 (3) (For C, D and Handguns) which both state:

(3) Any cartridge ammunition for the firearm must be stored in a locked container separate from the safe in which the firearm must be stored.

So - from the regulations, it would appear as though one would be more compliant to store their ammunition in a separate plastic toolbox with a padlock on it outside, and next to the safe than to use the internal more secure ammunition compartment of a safe.

However - Vicpol have identified the potential cloud within this regulation and the commissioner has made at his discretion an exception to this rule to allow the internal compartment to be used by stating separately:

Legislation requires that cartridge ammunition must be stored in a locked container separate from the receptacle in which the firearm is stored.

Victoria Police has determined that for the purposes of implementing this part of the legislation, a single, purpose-built storage receptacle comprising of two separate lockable compartments, one for ammunition and one for firearms, is classified as separate storage areas (and therefore suitable) provided that each compartment is locked with a separate lock and key or combination lock.

The key consideration is that firearms cannot readily accessed by persons not authorised to do so.

Source: http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=36210 (FAQ Section)

It's worth noting that this is not regulation, and is an allowance/exception made by the commissioner, who could change his mind in future without any regulations requiring changes.

I would be interested in feedback from people who have been inspected who store ammunition in separate locked plastic containers as to the individual police officers response. I would expect some police wouldn't have questioned this (considering my observation of some of their lack of knowledge on firearms), even though according to the regulation it's more compliant than using the internal compartment of a safe.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Wombat » 29 Jun 2017, 6:17 pm

Ive never been asked about ammo storage, just a check of serial numbers and a count of firearms.
Placement of an improvised safe can improve things, pre 96 I had an old locker with eyebolts and padlocks. But that was bolted laying down in a built in cupboard with only the hinge side accessible. I think it would probably pass muster even today. Before that they just used to be under my Bed or in a Wardrobe......
Once inspections started I gave in and bought a "proper" one.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 25 Jul 2017, 1:21 pm

Conallin24 wrote:Also a double door thin steel lockable container that he would like to have Cat A and B inside (not as thick as a safe you might buy at a gunshop) if you need to know more to answer let me know. Thanks

What is it exactly? Sounds like a school locker or something?
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Conallin24 » 26 Jul 2017, 7:15 am

It's kind of similar to a school locker I guess but it has 2 doors. I've seen them at some workplaces being used to keep important files but the trays have been removed if they were even there. Sorry if my description sucks I actually don't have it with me it's at a family members place 2 hours away and I've only seen it once. It work take a fair bit to crack it open though.
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 26 Jul 2017, 11:23 pm

The answer you are looking for is not here, man. You shouldn't use filing cabinets for gun storage. Pretty simple. We can all talk about it and what not, but when or if your mate gets an inspection and the cop looks at it and kicks it and it swings open, it's gam over. All office style cabinets can be kicked open. Just go and buy a cheap safe. If you can't afford that, then you probably can't afford a rifle and a scope either. Or tell your mate to buy less scope and more safe. ;)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jul 2017, 10:00 pm

I cannot confirm this 100%. This is in Victoria.
I was informed today that a steel work locker bolted down and two solid padlocks was passed as OK last week.

I saw this locker about 6 years ago and no issues with it at that time too. The reason for the inspection was moving house and a few days notice was given.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jul 2017, 10:11 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I cannot confirm this 100%. This is in Victoria.
I was informed today that a steel work locker bolted down and two solid padlocks was passed as OK last week.

I saw this locker about 6 years ago and no issues with it at that time too. The reason for the inspection was moving house and a few days notice was given.

For firearms or ammo?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jul 2017, 10:45 pm

For firearms. A & B if I understand correctly.
I know for a fact it was passed as OK about 5 or 6 years ago.
Workplace clothes locker with lock and hasp. Similar to this.

Harsp and lock.jpg
Harsp and lock.jpg (38.05 KiB) Viewed 5802 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jul 2017, 10:57 pm

Oldbloke wrote:For firearms. A & B if I understand correctly.
I know for a fact it was passed as OK about 5 or 6 years ago.
Workplace clothes locker with lock and hasp. Similar to this.

Harsp and lock.jpg

Wow, I never would've thunk it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jul 2017, 10:17 am

Dead set. P S. It's in a garden shed. I haven't seen that.
I had almost the identical arrangement until about 4 years ago till I got a good safe. I upgraded mainly because the value of the contents was slowly rising. I now use same storage for my ammo. I have never been inspected in more than 44 years of firearm ownership. But might soon as I'm currently renewing my licence.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws