Gun Part Building Laws

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Gun Part Building Laws

Post by shadow » 02 Jul 2017, 1:14 pm

Hi All,
I was wondering if you can manufacture certain gun parts with out a licence? I know for sure that you cannot legally manufacture a lower receiver, is this all?
Regards shadow
shadow
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Gun Part Building Laws

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jul 2017, 4:27 pm

shadow wrote:Hi All,
I was wondering if you can manufacture certain gun parts with out a licence? I know for sure that you cannot legally manufacture a lower receiver, is this all?
Regards shadow

NSW has laws about modifying lots of things from a stock firearm.
You can't shorten a firearm without first applying for permission to do so and explaining why the stock firearm can't do the job.
Making a barrel would probably be illegal in NSW without a permit.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by shadow » 02 Jul 2017, 5:46 pm

What about self fabricating a stock/butt or making a spare bolt?
shadow
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jul 2017, 6:00 pm

shadow wrote:What about self fabricating a stock/butt or making a spare bolt?

I would suggest you email the Registry and ask them in writing first.
As long as the stock makes the rifle no shorter than it originally was, and it doesn't slide, fold, swivel, telescope or fold I'm not aware of anything preventing you from making your own.

I rang them about bringing my rifles into Victoria as I'm happy to put a screw in to lock my sliding stocks in place at the rifle's original length. Not good enough because a screw or bolt is not permanent. I asked them why Lee Enfield rifles, most shotguns, lever rifles, etc are all legal when they have stocks that are held in place by one or two screws. They said that as far as they were concerned pinning a sliding stock was not legal, but I could email my questions to them and she would pass it to her "boss" for a ruling.

As for a spare bolt, seems like a lot of effort to make something that is probably one of the least probable failures. I can't think of any law preventing you from doing so, but I'm not in NSW. Safest bet is to ask first and get it in writing. I'm sure even in court they'd get out of it somehow but it's about the best we can do I'm afraid.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 02 Jul 2017, 6:29 pm

bladeracer wrote:
shadow wrote:Hi All,
Regards shadow

NSW has laws about modifying lots of things from a stock firearm.
You can't shorten a firearm without first applying for permission to do so and explaining why the stock firearm can't do the job.
Making a barrel would probably be illegal in NSW without a permit.

Not true, you can shorten a barrel as long as it stays above the minimum length.

The only thing you cannot do is cut a barrel chamber, cut a stock or a barrel below minimum length, manufacture an action or modify an existing firearm to make it another class of firearm for example a Cat B to Cat C ot Cat H

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jul 2017, 6:52 pm

Chronos wrote:Not true, you can shorten a barrel as long as it stays above the minimum length.

The only thing you cannot do is cut a barrel chamber, cut a stock or a barrel below minimum length, manufacture an action or modify an existing firearm to make it another class of firearm for example a Cat B to Cat C ot Cat H

Chronos

Sorry, I had that explained to me before, my mistake.

My understanding is that sliding, folding, swiveling, etc stocks are illegal regardless of whether they shorten the firearm?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by shadow » 04 Jul 2017, 12:34 pm

Thanks for the info guys
shadow
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Elek » 03 Oct 2017, 11:07 am

shadow wrote:I know for sure that you cannot legally manufacture a lower receiver, is this all?

What do you actually want to make?

That's going to be a quicker answer than checking off everything you can't.

;)
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to New South Wales gun laws