Black Market Guns

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Black Market Guns

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jul 2017, 12:12 pm

sungazer wrote:I mean the minute that they are stolen puts them in the hands of crims.

Of course, anything that is stolen is in the hands of criminals, but if they're not being used in violent acts then I don't much care who has them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Jul 2017, 9:34 am

You know its good to listen on this forum to peoples thoughts on black market guns and how much their disliked
so i've got a guestion ;How many gun licence holders have been prosecuted for dealing in hot guns?
I can't think of any
So why doesn't this send a message to the government for gun owners as a whole ?

The reason i ask is a fella up here was caught with drugs,hand gun ( not licenced ) and stolen goods he was given 2 yr bond
because it was his first offence
A licenced gun owner would probably get 2 yr bond loose all his guns and licence for good and most likely a hefty fine first offence
or not

I don't want to sound like a stickler but i don't think the penalties for dealing black market guns is heavy enough after all these people
know they are doing wrong so that puts them in the criminal basket

The only thing feared by humans is fear itself and until criminals fear getting caught and all is taken from them and only then will you see
a drop in illegal guns and illegal activity so penalties have to be appropriate

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Jandamurra » 27 Jul 2017, 3:30 pm

grandadbushy wrote:You know its good to listen on this forum to peoples thoughts on black market guns and how much their disliked
so i've got a guestion ;How many gun licence holders have been prosecuted for dealing in hot guns?
I can't think of any
So why doesn't this send a message to the government for gun owners as a whole ?

The reason i ask is a fella up here was caught with drugs,hand gun ( not licenced ) and stolen goods he was given 2 yr bond
because it was his first offence
A licenced gun owner would probably get 2 yr bond loose all his guns and licence for good and most likely a hefty fine first offence
or not

I don't want to sound like a stickler but i don't think the penalties for dealing black market guns is heavy enough after all these people
know they are doing wrong so that puts them in the criminal basket

The only thing feared by humans is fear itself and until criminals fear getting caught and all is taken from them and only then will you see
a drop in illegal guns and illegal activity so penalties have to be appropriate

Cheers

I agree with all of this, except for one thing I fell needs to be included.
I would like to see penalties for licensed shooters not doing everything exactly by the book, as long as it wasn't a clear safety concern, be greatly reduced or eliminated.
Of course, I'd like to see virtually all our gun laws eliminated, but IMHO it's practical for the foreseeable future to call for INREASED penalties for crims and DECREASED penalties for LAFO's. NSW has recently changed their storage inspection rules so shooters can receive a warning rather than loss of licence or a big fine for various oversights.
We need a lot more of that along with tougher penalties for crime.
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jul 2017, 11:22 pm

You know i think to get everything back to being great in this land there will have to be several box's of rinso soap suds bought
Throw 1 box in the washing machine with the law courts, 1 with the lawyers, 1 with the police department , 1 with the pollies wash for 6 mths
then only keep the clean ones then things may change

TRIVIA ;a criminal was caught with unlicenced guns, no gun licence and drugs
He was charged with posessing firearms without a licence,unregestered firearms and posession of drugs
This sounds ok but why wasn't he charged with not having his firearms stored in a safe manner ?
Now has any body ever heard of a criminal being charged with not having safe storage ?
I haven't
Well we are not criminals and we would be charged if our guns were not stored properly as the law requires (PLEASE EXPLAIN)

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jul 2017, 11:25 pm

grandadbushy wrote:You know i think to get everything back to being great in this land there will have to be several box's of rinso soap suds bought
Throw 1 box in the washing machine with the law courts, 1 with the lawyers, 1 with the police department , 1 with the pollies wash for 6 mths
then only keep the clean ones then things may change

TRIVIA ;a criminal was caught with unlicenced guns, no gun licence and drugs
He was charged with posessing firearms without a licence,unregestered firearms and posession of drugs
This sounds ok but why wasn't he charged with not having his firearms stored in a safe manner ?
Now has any body ever heard of a criminal being charged with not having safe storage ?
I haven't
Well we are not criminals and we would be charged if our guns were not stored properly as the law requires (PLEASE EXPLAIN)

Cheers

By not having a licence he never said he would comply with the rules of firearm storage anyway?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jul 2017, 11:37 pm

I didn't know that we had a choice

cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Gwion » 28 Jul 2017, 8:09 am

Your choice is getting a licence!

Reading the legislation it seems penalties for infractions by licenced shooters are heavier than those for criminals who are found with firearms.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wombat » 28 Jul 2017, 6:17 pm

Smuggling is like any other business. You buy cheap and sell at a profit. Cocaine is not easy or cheap to obtain anywhere, firearms however are relatively easy to buy at little or no risk in the US. I've known three blokes who used to smuggle things, one was smuggling cigarette papers into Jamaica, one condoms into Ireland and another a Photocopier into Russia.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 29 Jul 2017, 8:47 am

Cocaine is not easy or cheap to obtain anywhere, firearms however are relatively easy to buy at little or no risk in the US

Actually, cocaine is also cheap and easy to buy in the U.S
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by sebrule » 29 Jul 2017, 9:03 am

Glocks $3k in the box. With numbers removed. Hot pistols that you would never want to be caught with normally between $200-$1000.

Rifles were always odd priced. Some $50 and up.

Shotguns $200 though pump actions the price was normally around $500-1000.

This is going back 10 years mind you. Though I cant see prices changing all that much.

I'll make this clear I have no contact to people that deal or have these types of firearms any more.
sebrule
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Wombat » 29 Jul 2017, 10:43 am

happyhunter wrote:
Cocaine is not easy or cheap to obtain anywhere, firearms however are relatively easy to buy at little or no risk in the US

Retail quantities sure. But kilograms? I dont think it would be as easy or cheap as you think.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 30 Jul 2017, 7:49 am

Wombat wrote:
happyhunter wrote:

Retail quantities sure. But kilograms? I dont think it would be as easy or cheap as you think.

The larger the quantity, the cheaper the product per unit volume. That is the entire premise of buying anything in bulk, not excluding groceries, ammunition baking flour, etc..
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2017, 9:45 am

Glochs $3000 with serial number removed, rifle $50, shot gun $200
Cheap cocaine,dear cocaine,kilo prices for cocaine,condoms smuggled into ireland,cheap drug prices in usa,buying in bulk ''JESUS''
I thought i was on the wrong forum for awhile

When did we leave the road and hit a tree on black market guns ''lol''

CHEERS
Member-Deleted

Post by Wombat » 30 Jul 2017, 11:28 am

happyhunter wrote:
Wombat wrote:
happyhunter wrote:

The larger the quantity, the cheaper the product per unit volume. That is the entire premise of buying anything in bulk, not excluding groceries, ammunition baking flour, etc..

Sure, but buying a tonne of flour does not involve suitcases full of cash ( that also has to be smuggled or laundered ) and dealing with people who kill others at the drop of a hat. Remember I said easy OR cheap. Even getting in contact with people who do deal in large volumes of drugs would be extremely risky. Both from law enforcement and them...... Its not like you could get them to send an invoice and then transfer the cash.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by WatchyShooter » 30 Jul 2017, 4:10 pm

Gwion wrote:Your choice is getting a licence!

Reading the legislation it seems penalties for infractions by licenced shooters are heavier than those for criminals who are found with firearms.

It’s actually how it works with driving offences.
If you have a license your subject to those conditions, but if you have no license you never agreed to adhere to those conditions so when found guilty of an offence is usually only going to be driving without a license and the other things that can be charged to a non-license holder.

They’ve changed it recently to reflect this, now the charges are separated into;
Penalty - if previously authorised to drive and Penalty - if never been authorised to drive

As they realised very quick that it was better to have never got a license at all and just keep driving and getting less tickets and charges then someone with a license.

It’s a weird world when you dive into the legal system, it all functions on “assumptions” that you fully understand the laws, and once you start reading you start to wonder, did the people who write this even understand it?
Firearm-less LAFO!
New shooter, guns to come soon!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Next

Return to New South Wales gun laws