Military "look" in nsw

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Military "look" in nsw

Post by Chronos » 19 Oct 2017, 7:26 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Ask the NSW FAR they will give you the correct info on what's legal and illegal.

Or so correct mate. The people at FAR only process paperwork and do not necessarily understand or enforce their own rules. Someone recently contacted FAR to confirm he could buy a large caliber bolt rifle on a Cat B license and was told he didn’t have justification to buy “such a large rifle” :unknown:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by scoobs » 19 Oct 2017, 8:08 pm

Chronos wrote:There is no “military appearance” laws in NSW. Read and understand the legislation and don’t take legal advice from the interwebs

Chronos

they do seem to be banning firearms on appearances though. i looked into buying a ruger precision rifle and having the stock pinned at least until i move to qld in a yr or 2. and was told by the firearms registry that the ruger precision was not allowed even if it was fixed stock, the reasons i was given was because of its appearance and because it can use AR magazines.
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2017, 8:24 pm

Chronos wrote:There is no “military appearance” laws in NSW. Read and understand the legislation and don’t take legal advice from the interwebs

Chronos

The DT SRS & HTI was recently reclassified based on appearance and can no longer be sold in NSW as it looks too much like a Chinese machine gun. This isn't based on being "Military" in appearance but it was reassessed under item 7 Schedule 1 of the 1996 Act and deemed too scary.

Item 1
Any machine gun, sub-machine gun or other firearm capable of propelling projectiles in rapid succession during one pressure of the trigger.

Item 5
Any self-loading centre-fire rifle of a kind that is designed or adapted for military purposes.

Item 6
Any self-loading shotgun of a kind that is designed or adapted for military purposes.

Item 7
Any firearm that substantially duplicates in appearance (regardless of calibre or manner of operation) a firearm referred to in item 1, 5 or 6.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/fa1996102/sch1.html
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 19 Oct 2017, 8:33 pm

To be clear it’s not military appearance.

In the case of Brett’s example it’s because in their view the DTA resembles a prohibited weapon (full auto machine gun) not because it looks military.

There’s plenty of Steyr’s, AI’s and TRG’s other actual issued military firearms that are cat b legal. I’ve got actual issued service rifles in my safe. (.lee Enfield and Mauser)

Not defending their decision just clarifying it’s not military appearance. But the legislation says “substantially duplicates prohibited weapon” from memory

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Wal » 25 Oct 2017, 12:07 pm

Read NSW schedule 1 PROHIBITED WEAPONS, points 1,5 & 6 and then read point 7. That’s where they can trip you up on ANY firearm because of appearance, regardless of caliber or manner of operation
Wal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wal » 25 Oct 2017, 4:00 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:P platers have been restricted from high powered vehicles.

Under this military appearance logic they might not be able to drive high performance looking cars and group of cyclists will decide what looks fast and powerful.

Spoiler ... no looks powerful.
Big exhaust tip ... no
Mag wheels , fake turbo noises, loud colours, side skirts .... and Commodores ! They all look too fast.

Fancy a law that judges something based on its appearance rather than its functionality, bigotry and discrimination anyone?

It’s a joke mate, but everyone needs to read schedule 1 prohibited weapons, Point 1,5 and 6 and the read point 7. This is what some people take wrongly
Wal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws