Military "look" in nsw

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Military "look" in nsw

Post by Goshawk » 08 Jul 2017, 6:20 pm

Hi all.
Im located in nsw and just recently upgrade my Tupperware stock on my howa mini-action to a mdt lss stock with pistol grip. Is it still legal in nsw. The stock is the fixed moe magpul version (bolt through stock).
Cheers
Last edited by Goshawk on 10 Jul 2017, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Military "look" in nsw

Post by Bigjobss » 08 Jul 2017, 7:10 pm

Better hand it in just to be sure
Bigjobss

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Jul 2017, 10:22 pm

Ask the NSW FAR they will give you the correct info on what's legal and illegal.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sungazer » 09 Jul 2017, 9:30 am

gone
Last edited by sungazer on 26 Apr 2020, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Goshawk » 09 Jul 2017, 11:54 am

sungazer wrote:c,mon you know it is. You just want to show off your new gun. It looks real nice I think that is the best chassis they make.

Yeah. Its a sexy little beast. Chassis gets damn cold in the evenings!
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by sungazer » 09 Jul 2017, 2:50 pm

Stop cuddling it would help that. At least you wont feel cold.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Baronvonrort » 09 Jul 2017, 11:16 pm

You can have that chassis along with the mdt lss xl as long as it has a fixed stock.

No telescopic or folding stocks in NSW because having one of them could turn you into a mass murdering terrorist
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Mitch » 10 Jul 2017, 5:02 am

Personally I find it a bit stupid to do it and then check legalities. Be better off checking first as if it were now illegal you have posted proof online of breaking the law
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ben78 » 10 Jul 2017, 8:56 am

You are allowed a Barret M98 in 338 Lapua no questions asked so I am sure a Howa in a MDT stock isn't going to be a drama
Ben78
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 10 Jul 2017, 9:00 am

Mitch wrote:Personally I find it a bit stupid to do it and then check legalities. Be better off checking first as if it were now illegal you have posted proof online of breaking the law

Yep :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by The crow » 13 Jul 2017, 11:19 pm

Thinking of getting a MDT Tac 21 chassis for my 7 RUM Sendero (love long target shots), is there a AR buttstock that is solid mounted?
The crow
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Wal » 18 Oct 2017, 10:33 am

Under schedule 1, any firearm regardless of caliber or action can be deemed a prohibited weapon under appearance. I’ve done the same with an MDT chassis and all magpul add ons. It’s dependant on the inspecting officer and their interpretation of the law
Wal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wal » 19 Oct 2017, 7:54 am

bigfellascott wrote:Ask the NSW FAR they will give you the correct info on what's legal and illegal.

I rang NSW FAR prior to doing my mods and was put through to a very helpful lady. I explained the chassis, the other parts were easy bar the “ collapsible buffer tube “ which wasn’t collapsible and she called back with an OK, but as I wrote earlier, it’s all dependant on the inspecting officers interpretation of the law. I bought all the parts from QLD and as long as you stay away from anything that is listed as “ prohibited in NSW “ you’ll be fine.
Wal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Oct 2017, 1:11 pm

You did insist on getting this in writing I hope!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Oct 2017, 2:56 pm

P platers have been restricted from high powered vehicles.

Under this military appearance logic they might not be able to drive high performance looking cars and group of cyclists will decide what looks fast and powerful.

Spoiler ... no looks powerful.
Big exhaust tip ... no
Mag wheels , fake turbo noises, loud colours, side skirts .... and Commodores ! They all look too fast.

Fancy a law that judges something based on its appearance rather than its functionality, bigotry and discrimination anyone?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by scoobs » 19 Oct 2017, 3:43 pm

i heard its banned because the chassis turns the rifle into an ar15, therefor, its a full auto assault rifle and must be handed in.
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 19 Oct 2017, 4:38 pm

Just keep the barreled action in the safe. Easy inspection.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 19 Oct 2017, 7:22 pm

There is no “military appearance” laws in NSW. Read and understand the legislation and don’t take legal advice from the interwebs

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 19 Oct 2017, 7:26 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Ask the NSW FAR they will give you the correct info on what's legal and illegal.

Or so correct mate. The people at FAR only process paperwork and do not necessarily understand or enforce their own rules. Someone recently contacted FAR to confirm he could buy a large caliber bolt rifle on a Cat B license and was told he didn’t have justification to buy “such a large rifle” :unknown:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by scoobs » 19 Oct 2017, 8:08 pm

Chronos wrote:There is no “military appearance” laws in NSW. Read and understand the legislation and don’t take legal advice from the interwebs

Chronos

they do seem to be banning firearms on appearances though. i looked into buying a ruger precision rifle and having the stock pinned at least until i move to qld in a yr or 2. and was told by the firearms registry that the ruger precision was not allowed even if it was fixed stock, the reasons i was given was because of its appearance and because it can use AR magazines.
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2017, 8:24 pm

Chronos wrote:There is no “military appearance” laws in NSW. Read and understand the legislation and don’t take legal advice from the interwebs

Chronos

The DT SRS & HTI was recently reclassified based on appearance and can no longer be sold in NSW as it looks too much like a Chinese machine gun. This isn't based on being "Military" in appearance but it was reassessed under item 7 Schedule 1 of the 1996 Act and deemed too scary.

Item 1
Any machine gun, sub-machine gun or other firearm capable of propelling projectiles in rapid succession during one pressure of the trigger.

Item 5
Any self-loading centre-fire rifle of a kind that is designed or adapted for military purposes.

Item 6
Any self-loading shotgun of a kind that is designed or adapted for military purposes.

Item 7
Any firearm that substantially duplicates in appearance (regardless of calibre or manner of operation) a firearm referred to in item 1, 5 or 6.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/fa1996102/sch1.html
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 19 Oct 2017, 8:33 pm

To be clear it’s not military appearance.

In the case of Brett’s example it’s because in their view the DTA resembles a prohibited weapon (full auto machine gun) not because it looks military.

There’s plenty of Steyr’s, AI’s and TRG’s other actual issued military firearms that are cat b legal. I’ve got actual issued service rifles in my safe. (.lee Enfield and Mauser)

Not defending their decision just clarifying it’s not military appearance. But the legislation says “substantially duplicates prohibited weapon” from memory

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Wal » 25 Oct 2017, 12:07 pm

Read NSW schedule 1 PROHIBITED WEAPONS, points 1,5 & 6 and then read point 7. That’s where they can trip you up on ANY firearm because of appearance, regardless of caliber or manner of operation
Wal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wal » 25 Oct 2017, 4:00 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:P platers have been restricted from high powered vehicles.

Under this military appearance logic they might not be able to drive high performance looking cars and group of cyclists will decide what looks fast and powerful.

Spoiler ... no looks powerful.
Big exhaust tip ... no
Mag wheels , fake turbo noises, loud colours, side skirts .... and Commodores ! They all look too fast.

Fancy a law that judges something based on its appearance rather than its functionality, bigotry and discrimination anyone?

It’s a joke mate, but everyone needs to read schedule 1 prohibited weapons, Point 1,5 and 6 and the read point 7. This is what some people take wrongly
Wal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws