Non-working replica on display ok?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Non-working replica on display ok?

Post by mobo » 09 Dec 2013, 10:08 am

G'day,

I know "replica" firearms are controlled because you can potentially fire a round through them. Some might take it or others might just be destroyed but you can potentially fire at least once, so fair enough.

Question is - If you have a replica which clearly can not fire is this still the case?

Like if the barrel was never drilled and is solid all the way through, or if you can cycle the bolt but there isn't actually a chamber or something like that. Just some crucial piece which is missing so that it's literally impossible to fire the replica.

Can this be owned/displayed without the usual firearm licensing/security/etc. ?

Thanks.
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR

Savage Stevens 200 .270 Winchester
mobo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Non-working replica on display ok?

Post by Monty » 09 Dec 2013, 12:38 pm

Short answer, no.

Having the appearance of a working firearm is enough. They don't have to be able to potentially fire specifically to be designated as "replicas".
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by halberg » 09 Dec 2013, 2:01 pm

mobo wrote:Some might take it or others might just be destroyed...

I've seen a couple which were awful... Look like they were made in a toy gun plastic mould.

You'd be crazy to try and fire a round in one.
Savage Mark II FVT .22LR
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25-06 Remington
Sako L691 6.5x55 SE
halberg
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Berper » 10 Dec 2013, 9:38 am

Monty wrote:Having the appearance of a working firearm is enough. They don't have to be able to potentially fire specifically to be designated as "replicas".

Yep. They're worried about people holding up petrol stations or robbing people etc. as they're still passable for a real gun even though they can't fire.

That's my understanding anyway.
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Monty » 10 Dec 2013, 10:54 am

Mine too, Berper.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by ployer » 10 Dec 2013, 10:56 am

That's pretty harsh if you definitely can not fire it though?

Just makes it a toy really...
ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 10 Dec 2013, 11:40 am

Monty wrote:Short answer, no.

Having the appearance of a working firearm is enough. They don't have to be able to potentially fire specifically to be designated as "replicas".

Yep, as well in Tasmania you also have to have the appropriate category and they also have to be stored as you would for a real one.

I.e. if you have a replica AK47 it needs to be stored as you would a real one and you would have to have cat D on your licence.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Norton » 10 Dec 2013, 2:31 pm

ployer wrote:That's pretty harsh if you definitely can not fire it though?

Just makes it a toy really...

Yes and no.

Obviously you can't do any physical harm to someone with a mock firearm, but (the theory is anyway) but if someone believes it to be real the effect is much the same.

If some criminal sticks a fake gun in your face and you believe it's real, the threat you perceive is just the same is if it were a real firearm.

You would still be coerced / threatened into doing something, or robbed, or whatever the criminals intentions if you believed the fake to be real.

That's the thinking as I understand it.

Warrigul wrote:Yep, as well in Tasmania you also have to have the appropriate category and they also have to be stored as you would for a real one.

I.e. if you have a replica AK47 it needs to be stored as you would a real one and you would have to have cat D on your licence.

Can't say that I agree with this for a non-firing replica, but some sensible storage requirements would be fair enough.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Hucka » 11 Dec 2013, 9:21 am

Norton wrote:Can't say that I agree with this for a non-firing replica, but some sensible storage requirements would be fair enough.

Right.

Having to lock up something that is ultimately decorative only like it was an automatic weapon is going a bit far...
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by ailar » 11 Dec 2013, 9:52 am

Lock up your toys children or the police will take you away!

:lol:
ailar
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Warrigul » 11 Dec 2013, 10:03 am

ailar wrote:Lock up your toys children or the police will take you away!

:lol:

And stay away from kids who have dragster(for those of that are old enough to remember dragsters) bikes, they will lock you up simply for playing with the bad children as well....................
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Monty » 11 Dec 2013, 10:19 am

Warrigul wrote:they will lock you up simply for playing with the bad children as well...

Reminds me of a web comic I saw, "The mods are going to ban you, me and everyone within a 6 foot radius!"
Monty

New South Wales

Post by JC102 » 11 Dec 2013, 7:56 pm

What a joke........
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 12 Dec 2013, 6:22 am

JC102 wrote:What a joke.

Yep, it's pretty full on.

If you threatened someone with a replica pretending its real then fair enough to get the book thrown at you.

But for us sensible LAFO's to not be able them doesn't sit great with me :(
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 12 Dec 2013, 9:46 am

Seconds wrote:

If you threatened someone with a replica pretending its real then fair enough to get the book thrown at you.

Threatening with a replica is treated as exactly the same crime as say armed robbery.

The offence is say armed robbery wherefore the justifcation in restricting ownership is simply on the basis that they MAY be used to break the law, may as well ban high performance cars, etc etc.

But hang on isn't this what they have done to law abiding firearm owners already? (sarcasm doesn't come across well on the internet)
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Xerox » 12 Dec 2013, 9:55 am

Warrigul wrote:Threatening with a replica is treated as exactly the same crime as say armed robbery.

Fair enough.

If you're out doing that s**t then you deserve whatever you get.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by JC102 » 14 Dec 2013, 4:17 am

Seconds wrote:

Did the laws change at some point in the last year and a half or so? I remember seeing them for sale on Australian websites (legally) and after a while they said they were no longer shipping to Victoria, then NSW and so on. They never gave a reason why, though. Wish I'd got one when I had the chance (for collecting purposes) considering real ones are so hard to get.

The offence is say armed robbery wherefore the justifcation in restricting ownership is simply on the basis that they MAY be used to break the law, may as well ban high performance cars, etc etc.

Yeah, they better take away all those knives in my kitchen, or the axe in my shed. I could snap and go on a killing spree at any moment. :roll:
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Kelix » 14 Dec 2013, 9:30 am

JC102 wrote:Yeah, they better take away all those knives in my kitchen, or the axe in my shed. I could snap and go on a killing spree at any moment. :roll:

And screwdrivers, hammers, bricks, rocks, bits of wood, pens, sports bats, running shoes with spikes, frozen bottles of milk...
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 14 Dec 2013, 1:38 pm

Kelix wrote:frozen bottles of milk...

lmao. Where did you pull that from :lol:
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by JC102 » 14 Dec 2013, 8:17 pm

What's next? Mandatory inflatable boxing gloves to be worn when out in public?

lmao. Where did you pull that from :lol:

You don't know pain until you've had a milk bottle smashed over your head. :lol:
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 15 Dec 2013, 9:35 am

JC102 wrote:You don't know pain until you've had a milk bottle smashed over your head. :lol:

Used to be a frozen loaf of bread when I was a kid.

Didn't have the same weight to it fortunately :D
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Return to Victorian gun laws