Firearms Inspections NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Firearms Inspections NSW

Post by cuee » 13 Jul 2017, 7:18 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows for fact if the inspectors have to make an appointment or they can just turn up , and are alll states the same . I have had a look around here but can't anything specific .
I've had a mate who is in a bit of trouble . The inspector turned up and told him that they didn't have to make an appointment and went right through him . Yes I agree that he should've been better prepared by doing the correct things but as he is a farmer there were some stray shells etc . I haven't had an inspection for a couple of years but they did ring me to make an appointment. He is in the Riverina area and the women inspector is very hard to get along with so I was just wondering if she bluffed him or does have the right . I suppose it would be hard to tell them to come back later if your home when they turn up .Cheers
cuee
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Firearms Inspections NSW

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jul 2017, 8:01 pm

If it not convenient tell them to come back at a time that suits - that's what I did.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2017, 11:17 pm

cuee wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows for fact if the inspectors have to make an appointment or they can just turn up , and are alll states the same . I have had a look around here but can't anything specific .
I've had a mate who is in a bit of trouble . The inspector turned up and told him that they didn't have to make an appointment and went right through him . Yes I agree that he should've been better prepared by doing the correct things but as he is a farmer there were some stray shells etc . I haven't had an inspection for a couple of years but they did ring me to make an appointment. He is in the Riverina area and the women inspector is very hard to get along with so I was just wondering if she bluffed him or does have the right . I suppose it would be hard to tell them to come back later if your home when they turn up .Cheers

Doesn't much matter how they bluffed their way in. At some point he must've allowed them in and they found what they did.
They should call ahead to ensure it's convenient for you, but if they're "in the area" they'll just drop in and see what you say.
Any chance somebody he knows might've sent them around out of spite?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 14 Jul 2017, 8:50 am

Last time they arrived at my door at night without notice and the police were very heavy handed in pushing their way in using veiled threats of future harassment if I refused. People think they have the right to refuse entry without appointment but the reality is the cops have the position to give you a hard time if they choose to be that way and us gun owners have no way to stop them.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by cuee » 14 Jul 2017, 2:28 pm

Yes happy hunter that was my thought. Anytime I knocked them back it was over a phone call on the mobile and I wasn't home. Don't know if they were casing the joint out though .
Bladeracer he does have a few semi-auto shotguns so that might put him at the top of their list .
cuee
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jul 2017, 2:39 pm

cuee wrote:Yes happy hunter that was my thought. Anytime I knocked them back it was over a phone call on the mobile and I wasn't home. Don't know if they were casing the joint out though .
Bladeracer he does have a few semi-auto shotguns so that might put him at the top of their list .

A few?
I thought you could only have one Cat C shotgun and one Cat C rifle?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Jul 2017, 6:13 pm

cuee wrote:Yes happy hunter that was my thought. Anytime I knocked them back it was over a phone call on the mobile and I wasn't home. Don't know if they were casing the joint out though .

Yes I am afraid c,d and h are on top of the list.
Member-Deleted

Post by gherx » 24 Jul 2017, 11:14 am

bladeracer wrote:A few?

He's in NSW don't forget... Different to VIC?
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jul 2017, 12:11 pm

gherx wrote:
bladeracer wrote:A few?

He's in NSW don't forget... Different to VIC?

I thought the limit on Cat C was Australia-wide?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Col » 24 Jul 2017, 10:31 pm

FWIW my understanding is that they have to ring to give you 24 hrs notice before "lobbing" on your doorstep. Unless, they feel the "law may be being broken, ie unsafe storage of firearms etc".
I have had a couple of times like bigfella scot and told them I am not home, (because I havent been) and not heard from them since.

Other times I have asked a police man t do the inspection whilst he has been there for other matters (ie picked the friendlier member of the constabulary who usually is a shooter themselves). Bit like a preemptive strike.

Col
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 25 Jul 2017, 6:01 am

I have had my firearm for more than a year and no one has turned up yet
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 25 Jul 2017, 8:31 am

That just sucks.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by crys » 25 Jul 2017, 11:44 am

scaredyet wrote:I have had my firearm for more than a year and no one has turned up yet

That's pretty standard.

Plenty of us go years without one.
crys
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws