New QLD license question

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

New QLD license question

Post by Jasonmah » 21 Jul 2017, 2:23 pm

Hey guys

Just about to apply for an A/B license in qld, I have everything in order but am worried about a few marks on my record.

1. Unlicensed driving (sper suspension) 4 months ago
2. Possession of cannabis ( 6 years ago, drug diversion, no conviction)
3. Possession of cannabis (7 years ago, drug diversion, no conviction)

Apart from that I'm well behaved, wife, own a home in a quiet area, have a good career etc.

Anything I should be worried about ?
Jasonmah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: New QLD license question

Post by albat » 21 Jul 2017, 9:10 pm

Yes mate , i would be worried that you've not had any chronic for six years , need to get that in order in qld or you could be deemed too much of a liability :lol: :thumbsup: ,
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jasonmah » 22 Jul 2017, 10:40 am

albat wrote:Yes mate , i would be worried that you've not had any chronic for six years , need to get that in order in qld or you could be deemed too much of a liability :lol: :thumbsup: ,

When you say 'in order' is there a suggestion ?
Jasonmah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Jul 2017, 2:01 pm

There was a case recently where a Driver with a dismal driving record was given 28 days to show cause as to why his firearms licence should not be cancelled as it was considered that he was "not a fit and proper person" to hold a weapon licence.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jul 2017, 2:33 pm

Run it by the WLB in your state, they should be able to give you an idea of how it might work out.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jasonmah » 22 Jul 2017, 4:47 pm

I called up the WBQ in QLD and the guy was insanely vague, I just wanted to make sure I was able to appeal or at least have a decent chance of getting through before I buy a safe and go through the whole process.

I'm obviously a member of a rifle association and have my ABH safety course done.
Jasonmah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jul 2017, 5:22 pm

Jasonmah wrote:I called up the WBQ in QLD and the guy was insanely vague, I just wanted to make sure I was able to appeal or at least have a decent chance of getting through before I buy a safe and go through the whole process.

I'm obviously a member of a rifle association and have my ABH safety course done.

I guess roll the dice and see what happens mate. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Jul 2017, 5:34 pm

At this stage I wouldn't rush out and by a safe as you're only applying for a licence. Should the licence be granted and you submit a PTA, then run out and get a safe.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Jasonmah » 22 Jul 2017, 5:46 pm

Says you need a safe to apply for a license.
Jasonmah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 22 Jul 2017, 6:04 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Jasonmah wrote:I called up the WBQ in QLD and the guy was insanely vague, I just wanted to make sure I was able to appeal or at least have a decent chance of getting through before I buy a safe and go through the whole process.

I guess roll the dice and see what happens mate. :thumbsup:

Agree with bfs. If they do knock ya back you have the opportunity to write the commissioner and explain the situation. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Jul 2017, 6:25 pm

Jasonmah wrote:Says you need a safe to apply for a license.

Nah, you don't need a safe to apply for a licence, just that you need access to secure storage facilities.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by albat » 22 Jul 2017, 6:28 pm

Jasonmah wrote:
albat wrote:Yes mate , i would be worried that you've not had any chronic for six years , need to get that in order in qld or you could be deemed too much of a liability :lol: :thumbsup: ,

When you say 'in order' is there a suggestion ?

Sorry mate was just having a laugh , couldnt help myself when i saw the rap sheet, i guess what i meant getting "in order" was getting back on it , na seriously mate i reckon that rap sheet was plenty way back to be not a problem , good luck anyway and you will definetly have no cash for weed when the firearms bug takes hold!!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 22 Jul 2017, 7:13 pm

I had a neg drive GBH due to a car accident, I didnt declare as was a no conviction and got initial knockback. I wrote a letter in detail and ended up approved.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jasonmah » 23 Jul 2017, 1:37 pm

Okay, thanks for the advice lads. Hopefully will be back in the coming weeks with good news !
Jasonmah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws