Nsw hunting permission rule changes

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Nsw hunting permission rule changes

Post by albat » 23 Jul 2017, 12:43 pm

The 2017 public consultation draft for proposed changes to nsw firearms regulation contains changes to regulations around permission to shoot on private rural land , the changes proposed now require you to have permission from the landowner for production to an approved officer in the "approved format" which as i understand is at the comissioners discretion, failure to provide it at request or within 48hrs attracts 20 points on your licence , looks like more chipping away of freedom to go and acquire a property to shoot on, requireing property owners to do more before allowing people to hunt sounds like western australia rules are on the way to the east coast , now is the time to make submissions before july 31st before its too late
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Nsw hunting permission rule changes

Post by andreweden » 23 Jul 2017, 12:54 pm

"approved format". Isn't that just a template that can be downloaded and filled in? Sounds like it makes things easier. You have to have the permission anyway. I always write the letters for the landowners anyway and just get them to sign it. I'd prefer a template so that everyone is saying the same thing.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 23 Jul 2017, 1:04 pm

I reckon those two words approved format is where the devil will be probably be something like the R licence , maps , boundaries , and will have to be issued each visit anything to make it harder
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 23 Jul 2017, 2:01 pm

I feel compelled to weigh in.I am not sure why other shooters worry about W,A, firearm laws.I feel that we have no issues.I just went through my documents and I have over 3 million acres to shoot on in this vast state.I was reading a post on this forum where a hunter had staked out a game trail and blokes on M/C bikes went past.WTF people with H/P rifles wandering around where the public have access.What could possibly go wrong?The feeling of being on land where you are the only person with access is kinda good.I have been shooting with a buddy on a hill block near a dam just out of Waroona and someone must of called the police because they turned up.My mate panicked but I had the property letter and the Reg 6 lic to take Kangaroos and it was all good.I know it is popular on this forum to moan about the system and how we should be able to just do what we want just remember that applies to everyone on the street.I like that its not easy to just buy any firearm but it can be done if done correctly.Lets get over the reds under the bed mentality and enjoy our sport
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jul 2017, 5:51 pm

duncan61 wrote:I feel compelled to weigh in.I am not sure why other shooters worry about W,A, firearm laws.I feel that we have no issues.I just went through my documents and I have over 3 million acres to shoot on in this vast state.I was reading a post on this forum where a hunter had staked out a game trail and blokes on M/C bikes went past.WTF people with H/P rifles wandering around where the public have access.What could possibly go wrong?The feeling of being on land where you are the only person with access is kinda good.I have been shooting with a buddy on a hill block near a dam just out of Waroona and someone must of called the police because they turned up.My mate panicked but I had the property letter and the Reg 6 lic to take Kangaroos and it was all good.I know it is popular on this forum to moan about the system and how we should be able to just do what we want just remember that applies to everyone on the street.I like that its not easy to just buy any firearm but it can be done if done correctly.Lets get over the reds under the bed mentality and enjoy our sport

Yep, the feeling of being on property that only you are allowed to shoot on is wonderful, if you are that shooter. Not much fun for the million other shooters that can't access such property.

I think most firearm owners are sick of fudd's that are happy as long as their personal space is not invaded by regulations, and come out with statements like this that completely ignore fellow shooters that are battling ever-increasing regulations.

The laws you keep referring to only make it harder to buy firearms LEGALLY, without having any effect at all on bad people buying whatever guns they want illegally.

You find it dangerous that we share public land with non-shooters? And yet you told a story on here about having a fully-loaded rifle when camping on a f***ing beach and the cops didn't care?????
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 23 Jul 2017, 6:05 pm

duncan61 wrote:I was reading a post on this forum where a hunter had staked out a game trail and blokes on M/C bikes went past.WTF people with H/P rifles wandering around where the public have access.What could possibly go wrong?

You're a f***ing idiot Duncan.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Jeff303 » 23 Jul 2017, 6:26 pm

Anything that makes things harder for us than it already is should be fought. Give an inch , take a mile
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 23 Jul 2017, 7:19 pm

We seem to have a difference of opinion that is influenced by the different regions we shoot in.It is not difficult to obtain permission to shoot on private farms in the south and station properties in the North West.I have Know Idea how it is managed in state forests in Victoria.What do you do if someone is already hunting in the area you planned going move on or do you book your space in advance?I like having the paperwork proving I have permission to be discharging firearms on private land.I always call before going to give the farmer the opportunity to say not now.I am not having it all to myself I just would not like to walk around a bend and find a family having a picnic.I was responding to the post that started with inferring W.A. had draconion rules where I nor anyone I know has a problem.The comments I made regarding having my .222 loaded and in my possession was the topic was about having your firearms out the safe and I used the point that if you have total control you are not breaking any rules.It was in Carnarvon not walking down the main street of Perth and again I had the property letter from Warroora station which is a bit further North declaring me as the kangaroo culler for that property.I called the station a few days later to go culling and the owner said no I have fencers working out here and they camp where they are working and she did not want me to be driving around shooting roos and goats all night in case I came across them.We have a good system and as far as I know there is no limit to calibre in W.A.as we have wild bulls and buffalo like the N.T.Personal insults are not needed we are only sharing opinions.My comments on here are not going to make any difference to what you do over there
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 23 Jul 2017, 7:25 pm

Point is, public land is for the public. Why shouldn't I be allowed to hunt in a state forest? Or national park for that matter (at least in Victoria)? It's PUBLIC. What about crossing the road with your family, should we ban all cars when his highness Duncan is out for a stroll? You're a selfish fud. Oh, I know, what about dirt bike flying over or through your tent when you're camping, they too should undoubtedly be banned, yes?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 23 Jul 2017, 7:28 pm

N.B. your individual comment/opinion, yes, actually it could. In a positive way - no, in a negative way - yes, just look what happened with Adler.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jul 2017, 7:36 pm

duncan61 wrote:The comments I made regarding having my .222 loaded and in my possession was the topic was about having your firearms out the safe and I used the point that if you have total control you are not breaking any rules.

You are breaking the law having a firearm loaded in a public place where you are not allowed to be shooting - like a beach.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 23 Jul 2017, 7:39 pm

Fair response ,Whats a fudd.There is no issue with buying an Adler 5 shot which gives you 6 its having more thats a problem
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 23 Jul 2017, 7:57 pm

fud or fudd is slang term that describes an individual who is only concerned with their individual circumstances. For example, a rifle shooter saying, pistols should be banned because they don't shoot pistols. Essentially, a self-centred purist with an inability to analyse and a complete lack of foresight. Today is 7 shot shotgun, tomorrow it's a 10 shot centrefire, but since the fud only has a 4 shot 30-06 for hunting, he didn't care nor realise that after magazine capacity comes calibre restrictions, quantity restrictions, etc. As long as fud has their rifle for their purpose, the fud is happy; and more than happy to push everyone else under a bus.

OR

Fud, shares the same letter as another word that delivers a more concise description.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 23 Jul 2017, 8:00 pm

Regards the loaded rifle,Sounds like I may of slipped through the net.The young officer was not happy as he had just started his shift and the Rangers dragged him out of his office to assist with booking my son and I for illegal camping at a toilet block with my Daughter and her friend from England on holiday.He called the Sergeant and tried to make a big deal of it but the Sergeant said if he has it with him its O.K.Perhaps he could not be bothered as it is a rural area with lots of local problems and some Dad passing through to Warroora was not worth messing with.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jul 2017, 8:02 pm

duncan61 wrote:Regards the loaded rifle,Sounds like I may of slipped through the net.

Maybe if you hadn't slipped through breaking them you might have a different view of the laws...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 23 Jul 2017, 8:22 pm

I prefer your definition to female urinary device or fear uncertainty doubt.I did a lot of construction and at union meeting always voted for what was best for the group not my individual needs however I am concerned about the general public having easy access to firearms.handguns in particular.We have all seen the docos on school shootings in USA however 2 things are going to happen 1.We are not the USA 2.Next time someone posts on how terrible the gun laws are in W.A. I will realise they have never been here and build a bridge and get over it
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gun-nut » 23 Jul 2017, 8:26 pm

bladeracer wrote:
duncan61 wrote:I feel compelled to weigh in.I am not sure why other shooters worry about W,A, firearm laws.I feel that we have no issues.I just went through my documents and I have over 3 million acres to shoot on in this vast state.I was reading a post on this forum where a hunter had staked out a game trail and blokes on M/C bikes went past.WTF people with H/P rifles wandering around where the public have access.What could possibly go wrong?The feeling of being on land where you are the only person with access is kinda good.I have been shooting with a buddy on a hill block near a dam just out of Waroona and someone must of called the police because they turned up.My mate panicked but I had the property letter and the Reg 6 lic to take Kangaroos and it was all good.I know it is popular on this forum to moan about the system and how we should be able to just do what we want just remember that applies to everyone on the street.I like that its not easy to just buy any firearm but it can be done if done correctly.Lets get over the reds under the bed mentality and enjoy our sport

Yep, the feeling of being on property that only you are allowed to shoot on is wonderful, if you are that shooter. Not much fun for the million other shooters that can't access such property.

I think most firearm owners are sick of fudd's that are happy as long as their personal space is not invaded by regulations, and come out with statements like this that completely ignore fellow shooters that are battling ever-increasing regulations.

The laws you keep referring to only make it harder to buy firearms LEGALLY, without having any effect at all on bad people buying whatever guns they want illegally.

You find it dangerous that we share public land with non-shooters? And yet you told a story on here about having a fully-loaded rifle when camping on a f***ing beach and the cops didn't care?????

Bladeracer, I honestly couldn't of put it any better myself. I 100% agree. The biggest issue with shooters in this country isn't with the pollies that try to shove restrictions down our throats at every opportunity (well maybe it is), its shooters who sit quietly and do nothing when these restrictions come down the pipeline. Once we start dealing with fudds in the shooting community, then we can really see some change. Its the attitude that shooters like Duncan have that don't do us any favours, never give an inch. I would of thought that lesson was learnt over 20 years ago.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jul 2017, 9:18 pm

duncan61 wrote:I prefer your definition to female urinary device or fear uncertainty doubt.I did a lot of construction and at union meeting always voted for what was best for the group not my individual needs however I am concerned about the general public having easy access to firearms.handguns in particular.We have all seen the docos on school shootings in USA however 2 things are going to happen 1.We are not the USA 2.Next time someone posts on how terrible the gun laws are in W.A. I will realise they have never been here and build a bridge and get over it

I lived in WA for 28 years and shot IPSC with handguns for many years.
Handguns are no problem at all, maybe you just haven't spent enough time playing with them to form a sensible opinion?

Which laws exactly do you believe keep handguns away from people with bad intention?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 23 Jul 2017, 9:38 pm

bentaz wrote:Fudds are our biggest problem next to the fact that scum bags already have pistols, which we unendingly get punished for to no good end!

Ya dead right there bentaz. The laws do jack sh@t to prevent the "wrong" type of person getting their hands on firearms :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 23 Jul 2017, 9:49 pm

While we are on a roll.I have just read the Where can I hunt guide in Victoria and it seems very fair and reasonable.I am genuinely interested in what you had before that you dont have now that seems to be causing all the consternation.I know about the Port Arthur buy back I handed in a perfectly good semi auto .22 stirling and a Winchester 3 shot 12 gauge.I am not trying to stir the pot just some actual real concerns that need to be bought to the attention of SFFP.I have read about the doctor who wishes to disarm the public completely and he is not taken serious and i joined a local anti gun group for fun recently and their arguments were nonsensical.Their main point was that we were too powerful as a group.My current views are not popular so educate me on the looming horror
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jul 2017, 9:54 pm

duncan61 wrote:While we are on a roll.I have just read the Where can I hunt guide in Victoria and it seems very fair and reasonable.I am genuinely interested in what you had before that you dont have now that seems to be causing all the consternation.I know about the Port Arthur buy back I handed in a perfectly good semi auto .22 stirling and a Winchester 3 shot 12 gauge.I am not trying to stir the pot just some actual real concerns that need to be bought to the attention of SFFP.I have read about the doctor who wishes to disarm the public completely and he is not taken serious and i joined a local anti gun group for fun recently and their arguments were nonsensical.Their main point was that we were too powerful as a group.My current views are not popular so educate me on the looming horror

Choice and freedom to enjoy our recreation as we see fit without being dictated to by anti-gun rhetoric is what we've lost.

Do you believe you were a danger to the public with your semi-auto rifle and shotgun?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 23 Jul 2017, 10:09 pm

I read the guide and am very interested in flying to Victoria to hunt deer.From what I gather I contact the DEPI in the area I wish to play and with the correct licenses and permits I am good to go.I have freedom and choice.The anti gun lobby argue all sorts of weird stuff its all on the net and they are their own worst enemy one claim is we should only have one firearm otherwise we will become mass murderers,We all know you need 13 fishing rods 13 golf clubs and 13 firearms.Need and want is the grey area.We need rifles to hunt and cull but the amount of firepower we can lay down has to be consistent with the task at hand.I put about 5000 rds down a Bren gun in the army and as much fun as it would be to go rabbiting its not really practical.I would like to think I have a better understanding of the situation after this discussion
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jul 2017, 10:09 pm

duncan61 wrote:While we are on a roll.I have just read the Where can I hunt guide in Victoria and it seems very fair and reasonable.I am genuinely interested in what you had before that you dont have now that seems to be causing all the consternation.

Victoria has the most sensible of our current firearm laws, but it's still way over the top to address a non-existent problem.
Like you, I'm blessed to live on property, around lots of properties to shoot on, and surrounded by millions of acres of public land to hunt on. I spent years shooting handguns, semi-auto rifles and pump shotguns so I don't particularly miss them now. I have no real complaints about how our gun laws affect me personally. But I am not going to sit quietly and allow the anti-gun morons to push to further restrict my fellow firearm enthusiasts just because I'm comfortably placed.

If I could make the same choices nowadays as I did as a kid I probably would own a pump shotgun, simply because it's what I'm most familiar with. I'd probably own a semi-.22 as well because semi-automatic is the peak of evolution for a hunting or a shooting rifle, an instant follow-up shot is more humane for hunting and more effective for pest control. I doubt I'd bother with a semi-auto centrefire rifle simply because I have no particular need for it in a varmint or deer rifle, but if I found pigs around here somewhere I'd opt for one of the semi-auto rifles for sure. They are fun to play with, but hellishly expensive to run.

But I don't have these choices any more, and I want to make sure we retain the choices we have remaining, for myself, for others, and for our country. Allowing the government to keep restricting what we can do is destroying us.

Last week Victoria brought in a f***ing LAW to allow motorcycle riders to remove one foot from a footpeg to stretch out a cramp. WTF! Have Police actually been charging riders for this sort of crap?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jul 2017, 10:13 pm

duncan61 wrote:I read the guide and am very interested in flying to Victoria to hunt deer.From what I gather I contact the DEPI in the area I wish to play and with the correct licenses and permits I am good to go.I have freedom and choice.The anti gun lobby argue all sorts of weird stuff its all on the net and they are their own worst enemy one claim is we should only have one firearm otherwise we will become mass murderers,We all know you need 13 fishing rods 13 golf clubs and 13 firearms.Need and want is the grey area.We need rifles to hunt and cull but the amount of firepower we can lay down has to be consistent with the task at hand.I put about 5000 rds down a Bren gun in the army and as much fun as it would be to go rabbiting its not really practical.I would like to think I have a better understanding of the situation after this discussion

Need is irrelevant. We need air to breathe. We don't need a vehicle to do our shopping or take our kids to school. We don't need ten choices of bread in a shop. Everything is about what we want only. If you want something and you aren't going to bother other people with it why shouldn't you be allowed to have it?

If you wanted a Bren Gun and chose to take it deer hunting do you believe you need to empty the mag at every living creature? I'll assume not, so why would you assume other people would be any different?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 23 Jul 2017, 10:20 pm

We are over regulated in Australia.I lived with a New Zealand mate for a while and he had been home and had footage of car racing where the farmer is going to plough the field for potatos on Monday so all weekend they set up different tracks with traffic cones and belt these V8 buggies around.The local police even turned up with one.If you did that here you would have black suited tactical troops raining on you out of choppers.my man mike ordered and licensed a 10/22 Ruger after the buy back just to prove he could.He had to get a letter from the property manager that he needed fast follow up shots so it can be done
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jul 2017, 10:23 pm

duncan61 wrote:my man mike ordered and licensed a 10/22 Ruger after the buy back just to prove he could.He had to get a
letter from the property manager that he needed fast follow up shots so it can be done

We know it can be done, but why should we have to jump through hoops to get what we all owned as kids?
My first rifle was a 10/22. Frankly, I think every shooter deserves one as their first rifle.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 23 Jul 2017, 10:23 pm

We are crossing post but I like your logic.Yeah why cant I have a Bren gun.I am going to make application
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jul 2017, 10:32 pm

duncan61 wrote:We are crossing post but I like your logic.Yeah why cant I have a Bren gun.I am going to make application

I think the problem you have is that you seem to actually believe that gun laws prevent people from having guns that shouldn't have guns?
That is ludicrous.
When was the last time you heard of a violent incident with a firearm that was acquired legally?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 23 Jul 2017, 11:18 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Choice and freedom to enjoy our recreation as we see fit without being dictated to by anti-gun rhetoric is what we've lost.

Do you believe you were a danger to the public with your semi-auto rifle and shotgun?

Well put. Imo these rights are the basic freedoms that many aussie men and women have fought and died for. To give them up without a fight would be an insult to their sacrifice. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Archie » 24 Jul 2017, 9:06 am

If I'm honest, I never really understood why they effectively banned pump action and semi auto shotguns but still allowed private ownership of semi-automatic handguns. I get the idea that "pistols put holes in people, shotguns put holes through people" but realistically handguns size just make them better suited for criminal activity than longarms because they're concealable.

From a very self interest point of view, I would happily take less regulation on storage and transport requirements for my Cat As and Bs if the political cost of that was tolerating the removal of Cat H. But I know that in practice, what would happen is they'd ban Cat H and then just chip away at what was left, and we'd lose the lot. If we don't all hang together, we'll all hang separately.

Unlike some people here, I don't equate firearm ownership itself with freedom,- but I do think that the default Australian response to everything slightly controversial - be it firearms or anything else - is to add another law or regulation, and that isn't a good thing for self responsibility. It seems these days like everything that isn't banned is compulsory. And this behavior also feeds into the idea that the government needs to protect us from everything remotely scary, no matter how unlikely, and any curtailment of civil liberties is justified to do it.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to New South Wales gun laws