.22 conversion kits

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

.22 conversion kits

Post by hobbit » 29 Jul 2017, 8:54 am

Does anyone know how these work with the new ammunition laws in NSW? My understanding (i may be mistaken) is the kits themselves are not registered and therefore you would not be able to buy ammo for them unless you already have another pistol registered. Am I interpreting this correctly?
hobbit
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: .22 conversion kits

Post by Cryptic » 29 Jul 2017, 6:22 pm

A pistol 22 conversion kit is classed as another firearm in QLD. I looked at a 9mm/22 kit when I was only allowed 1 for 1st 12 months and it wasn't allowed as they classed it as another firearm.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 29 Jul 2017, 6:50 pm

hobbit wrote:Does anyone know how these work with the new ammunition laws in NSW? My understanding (i may be mistaken) is the kits themselves are not registered and therefore you would not be able to buy ammo for them unless you already have another pistol registered. Am I interpreting this correctly?

A couple of points here...first up the kits are legal to purchase in NSW without a PTA as they are deemed an accessory and not controlled. Once you fit the kit to the pistol you will be in breach of the firearms act for possessing an unregistered firearm. To do it properly you need to take your pistol, registration paper and the kit to a gunshop who can add the 22LR barrel to the existing pistol registration. Once the certificate is received from the registry you can use it to buy ammunition for both the listed calibers. The other option is to buy the 22LR on your regular Cat A license providing you have one.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by hobbit » 29 Jul 2017, 9:14 pm

brett1868 wrote:
hobbit wrote:Does anyone know how these work with the new ammunition laws in NSW? My understanding (i may be mistaken) is the kits themselves are not registered and therefore you would not be able to buy ammo for them unless you already have another pistol registered. Am I interpreting this correctly?

A couple of points here...first up the kits are legal to purchase in NSW without a PTA as they are deemed an accessory and not controlled. Once you fit the kit to the pistol you will be in breach of the firearms act for possessing an unregistered firearm. To do it properly you need to take your pistol, registration paper and the kit to a gunshop who can add the 22LR barrel to the existing pistol registration. Once the certificate is received from the registry you can use it to buy ammunition for both the listed calibers. The other option is to buy the 22LR on your regular Cat A license providing you have one.

Great. Thanks for that.
hobbit
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws