Does anyone understand the Victorian Collector catergories?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Does anyone understand the Victorian Collector catergories?

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 14 Aug 2017, 1:39 pm

What can you collect under each Catergory?

It only really lists the different types of handguns each one allows you to collect, what about long arms?

Can you collector a Caterogry D firearm or a collectors 1 license or do you need a collectors 2 license, what about Caterogry C?

I can't find any information anywhere.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Does anyone understand the Victorian Collector catergori

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Aug 2017, 2:36 pm

G'day Mr.Seacucumber,
The info is in the Act, but not all in one place, you have to read the entire Act to understand it. In general, Cat 1 is ALL longarms and pre-47 handguns, Cat 2 is everything, Antique is pre-1900 obsolete calibre handguns only. All Cat C and higher must be completely welded, barrel, action and trigger mechanism. Storage according to the Act, and is higher than that required for Cat H handguns, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 14 Aug 2017, 2:40 pm

I asked about collector license when i was doing the safety course, my understanding is its pointless if you want modern functioning firearms, its not a loophole to acquire functional cat c or d firearms.Sure owning de-milled stuff may interest some but to me, no point in owning something i cant at least take to the range on the odd occasion and let a few rounds of.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Farmjer » 15 Aug 2017, 3:20 pm

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:I can't find any information anywhere.

A sceptical man might think they don't want you to find it :lol:
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by cracker » 20 Aug 2017, 11:27 am

find a club and ring them
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by cflake » 20 Aug 2017, 5:08 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Mr.Seacucumber,
The info is in the Act, but not all in one place, you have to read the entire Act to understand it. In general, Cat 1 is ALL longarms and pre-47 handguns, Cat 2 is everything, Antique is pre-1900 obsolete calibre handguns only. All Cat C and higher must be completely welded, barrel, action and trigger mechanism. Storage according to the Act, and is higher than that required for Cat H handguns, Cheers.

Only cat D must be deactivated. You can collect Cat C on a category 1 license but you can only shoot them at a commemorative or historical event approved by the chief commissioner - which applies to all firearms on a collectors license.

If you get caught with it outside your safe and you're not on your way to an approved shoot, you're screwed.
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws