Semi auto shotgun under a "medical reason"

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Semi auto shotgun under a "medical reason"

Post by Conallin24 » 20 Aug 2017, 9:14 pm

Hi guys, I am asking a question for a younger family member. She is almost 12 and would like to start field and game and maybe trap/skeet with me. the only problem is she is quite small and not very strong. Today I was at a field and game shoot in Cobram and came across a lady shooting a 20Ga semi auto. I asked her how she obtained it and she said she got it by asking a doctor to sign something to help her prove she needed it (wish I knew more than that but that's all I got) I was thinking I would try and get my family member a 20/28Ga semi and wanted to see how to qualify. If anyone knows more I would really appreciate it and if you need me to provide more specific details on the family member I can do that as well. Thanks, Campbell.
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Semi auto shotgun under a "medical reason"

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Aug 2017, 4:22 pm

Yep,may not be well know but under Reasons for - " Individual Weapons Licence application document descriptions"

Category C -Sports/Target Club - Strength/Dexterity Documentation signed by your medical practitioner supporting a
lack of strength or physical dexterity. Certificate of Accreditation

BUT only the licence holder or qualified/licenced coach may handle/use the firearm. I think it is restricted to 2 shells, gauge must be suitable and approved. Club membership etc...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Aug 2017, 4:43 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Yep,may not be well know but under Reasons for - " Individual Weapons Licence application document descriptions"

Category C -Sports/Target Club - Strength/Dexterity Documentation signed by your medical practitioner supporting a
lack of strength or physical dexterity. Certificate of Accreditation

BUT only the licence holder or qualified/licenced coach may handle/use the firearm. I think it is restricted to 2 shells, gauge must be suitable and approved. Club membership etc...

I'm guessing you also would only be allowed to use it a range, not for practicing on the farm?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Conallin24 » 21 Aug 2017, 5:47 pm

Would her mum be able to own it? She would come and watch us probably. I think it will be a 20/28Ga semi. Sucks that it can only be 2 shot. Now I just want to get her the u/o.
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by JimmyS » 21 Aug 2017, 6:46 pm

You need a Category C Licence to possess a:

Semi auto rim fire rifle with a magazine capacity of no more than 10 rounds
Semi auto shot gun with a magazine !!!--------->capacity of no more than 5 rounds<---------!!!!
Pump action shot gun with a magazine capacity of no more than 5 rounds

As per VicPol website.
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 21 Aug 2017, 7:18 pm

bladeracer wrote:I'm guessing you also would only be allowed to use it a range, not for practicing on the farm?

Your guess is unfortunately correct! Also, these c grade medical reasons licences don't allow you to purchase semi auto rimfires either.Also, theres "urban legend" of people getting catC for semi auto shotguns and popo coming around taking (or at least saying you better sell them) all firearms owner has that could be considered "high recoil"! Obviously not an issue for a young girl who isnt going to have anything else, but food for thought for others, if its even true!

IMHO C grade is BS and they should all be cat B, so im not defending the rules just pointing them out.The whole "no semi auto rimfire for you" while allowing pump and lever action centrefires is beyond retarded! How many massacres get committed by people using blooming 22lr ffs!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Aug 2017, 8:20 pm

G'day Dunxy,
It is no "urban legend", have had to deal with the issue for club members when they got a letter from LRD telling them their Cat A/B was to be cancelled and all centrefire rifles to be removed. Their is a way, which has worked so far for the 2 members involved, but we have recently had communication from LRD that ALL Regs are to be strictly enforced and that a zero tolerance policy will be taken by them. Be very cautious using the medical reason, unless you really have to. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Aug 2017, 8:29 pm

I'm guessing you also would only be allowed to use it a range, not for practicing on the farm?[/quote]

A few grey areas there, for eg. "practicing on the farm" would depend where the farm is. If its not surrounded by neighbors etc but all you're really allowed to do is sight in a firearm. To use "as practice" , must be at an approved range.

AND yes, Cat. is C.

Re ownership, I'd have a talk to the club and see if they have 1st hand experience in this area.

Being a Cat. C, this puts our shooters at a disadvantage compared to overseas competitors who have the choice of a semi-auto shotgun for clay targets.
Cheers

Cheers.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 22 Aug 2017, 8:12 am

I wonder if the new French lever release guns have significantly reduced recoil? That could be a (admittedly expensive) low recoil cat A or B option.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 23 Aug 2017, 2:26 pm

What would being French made have to do with recoil?

I'm obviously missing something here.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Aug 2017, 2:34 pm

Herdsman wrote:What would being French made have to do with recoil?

I'm obviously missing something here.

He's talking about the action.
It's a pseudo semi-auto that locks open after every shot. You need to flick a lever to drop the bolt for the next shot.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 23 Aug 2017, 5:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMOABUq3FmQ The Verney Carron speedline is the gun I was referring to as French. There is a 12g version on its way.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 23 Aug 2017, 6:27 pm

Gas piston reloading action reduces recoil a lot.Bren guns walk forward as the rapid shot is overcounted by the slower reloading action of the return spring slapping shut and bumping it forward.I may have done 5000 plus out an SLR and your cheek gets sore but I dont recall a lot off felt recoil just all the racket off the action cycling
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to Victorian gun laws