PTA for first Pistol in Victoria

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

PTA for first Pistol in Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 23 Aug 2017, 3:39 pm

Hi,

I've been on my provisional license for nearly 5 months here in Victoria and looking to put in a PTA for my first 9mm pistol with my full license application within the next month.

I've been shooting a lot of .22 and 9mm comps with my local pistol club and they will sign off on my PTA for a 9mm and by law I'm allowed to have this Caliber as my first pistol on my full license but I've been told that the LRD can be moody and they might reject it, just because.

Does anyone know anything about this or can share their experience obtaining their first hand gun, if they were approved for 9mm or if they had issues with rejection?
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: PTA for first Pistol

Post by Cryptic » 23 Aug 2017, 6:16 pm

I got a 357mag as my 1st and no issues. I am in QLD though.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 Aug 2017, 7:00 pm

G'day Justin9mm,
No problems at all mate, the restriction is 1 centrefire,or 1 rimfire in the 1st 6 months, plus 1 177cal air pistol. There is no such thing as a restriction on calibre if your competition supports that.For example, a member of our club who just got his full licence applied and received a permit for a 45 as his first handgun, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 23 Aug 2017, 7:16 pm

LRD can't reject your PTA application without having good reason to do so, if they do for whatever reason you can appeal their decision at the courts (or the firearms appeals committee to be specific) and if the committee find that they rejected your application for no reason at all they'd be forced to accept your PTA regardless. However I don't think it would ever come to this and you should have no dramas getting your first handgun.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 24 Aug 2017, 1:08 am

[quote="No1Mk3"]G'day Justin9mm,
No problems at all mate, the restriction is 1 centrefire,or 1 rimfire in the 1st 6 months

Only one, and it is an either or choice for six months. Asinine.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Justin9mm » 24 Aug 2017, 11:55 am

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I want the 9mm as my first gun as wanting to get into IPSC with it but I also want a .22 for some cheap fun at the range.

A couple of people at my club told me that if you buy a .22 as your first, the VIC law is that you can't go up a caliber for 12 months but you can go down so I assume I'll just wait out the first 6 months and then buy a .22 pistol as my second pistol when eligible.

I assume that's how it works. Not too interested in anything higher than 9mm, maybe later down the track, who knows!
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 25 Aug 2017, 11:09 am

Is it either a RF or CF in the first 6 months? I was under the impression it was for the first 12 months!? :O
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by doc » 25 Aug 2017, 12:02 pm

6 months from joining club until you get your first full license at which point you can buy either a single CF or RF pistol (plus air pistol).

Another 6 months from then before you're unrestricted and can buy as many as you need for the shoots you do.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Gun-nut » 25 Aug 2017, 3:35 pm

Do the amount of shoots you do per year increase as you buy more handguns? Or do they increase with the more class of handgun you own (RF, CF etc.)?
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 25 Aug 2017, 3:39 pm

Gun-nut wrote:Do the amount of shoots you do per year increase as you buy more handguns? Or do they increase with the more class of handgun you own (RF, CF etc.)?

From what understand, once you buy more than 2, it does increase. With two, I think it's still the same amount of shoots, 10 shoots a year which 6 of those have to be comps.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AusC » 29 Aug 2017, 2:06 pm

Justin9mm wrote:I've been told that the LRD can be moody and they might reject it, just because.

You'll be fine mate.

There's always naysayers going on about how we all get rejected for no reason all the time but it's mostly nonsense.

The system moves pretty smoothly in Victoria and you get what you're legally allowed to have.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by doc » 29 Aug 2017, 3:29 pm

Justin9mm wrote:
Gun-nut wrote:Do the amount of shoots you do per year increase as you buy more handguns? Or do they increase with the more class of handgun you own (RF, CF etc.)?

From what understand, once you buy more than 2, it does increase. With two, I think it's still the same amount of shoots, 10 shoots a year which 6 of those have to be comps.

I believe you're wrong - it's based on the number of different classes, not how many you own:

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.a ... t_ID=34479

http://www.ppc.asn.au/ParticipationAtte ... ements.pdf

Thus you can have 4 firearms all class 3. (.38spc / 9mm) and still only account for 1 class of handgun, thus 10 matches.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Justin9mm » 30 Aug 2017, 3:43 pm

doc wrote:
Justin9mm wrote:

I believe you're wrong - it's based on the number of different classes, not how many you own:

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.a ... t_ID=34479

http://www.ppc.asn.au/ParticipationAtte ... ements.pdf

Thus you can have 4 firearms all class 3. (.38spc / 9mm) and still only account for 1 class of handgun, thus 10 matches.

Sorry I was thinking if you had more than two from a different Class. As I was intending to own 1 Rimfire and 1 Centrefire which is still only 10 shoots.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: PTA for first Pistol in Victoria

Post by doc » 30 Aug 2017, 4:37 pm

:thumbsup:
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to Victorian gun laws