NSW bans more guns, whaaa?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW bans more guns, whaaa?

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Sep 2017, 8:26 pm

Come on bladeracer I didn't say I was totally against semi auto's simply possession under guidelines this is certainly better than what you've got now
Just take what you can now and it may get better down the line providing we get a government that thinks with its head not its butt
And to answer your question wether I had ever had a semi auto rifle the answer is no but I have shot a mates semi auto before they banned them
and wasn't fussed on it but that's just me
No doubt you could have some fun with them
Also its only my take on this matter not everybody elses and I stick by it
again not ban it bring it back with rules is a start don't you think ?, rather than not have one at all

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2017, 8:32 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Come on bladeracer I didn't say I was totally against semi auto's simply possession under guidelines this is certainly better than what you've got now
Just take what you can now and it may get better down the line providing we get a government that thinks with its head not its butt
And to answer your question wether I had ever had a semi auto rifle the answer is no but I have shot a mates semi auto before they banned them
and wasn't fussed on it but that's just me
No doubt you could have some fun with them
Also its only my take on this matter not everybody elses and I stick by it
again not ban it bring it back with rules is a start don't you think ?, rather than not have one at all

Cheers

My comment was in reference to the condescending phrase FUDD's regularly trot out - "if you need a semi auto to hunt with then you need some serious practice or take up another sport".

You "aren't fussed on them" is exactly my point, why should we treat them differently from any other firearm?
I don't have any particular interest in owning semi-auto rifles nowadays, but that doesn't mean I might not change my mind and want to own them again.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Sep 2017, 9:05 pm

The answer to that is they have been used in many shootings and killings and have been chosen so because of their rapid fire
Now you and I both know that any rifle put in the right hands can be shot pretty much as quick as semi auto
The question on '' Why should they be treated difference to other rifles '' well that's a question to ask the government
My reason for not being fussed on them is 1 I don't need one 2 i'd use too many bullets if I had one
What I said about needing practice was a figure of speech my old man said that to me when I wanted one at 12yr old
But you said that you may need a follow up shot does this mean you missed or missed the vital spot ' lol '
But I stand by getting them back with rules rather than what we have got now ,in saying that no rules would be better'

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Sep 2017, 9:20 pm

68 » 07 Sep 2017, 15:34

"My take on semi autos....
Rimfire - Cat A and no restriction as per the old days, maybe 10 shot mag limit as a compromise to the leftards.
Centre Fire - Cat B but can only be purchased in 2nd year of being a license holder and maybe some sort of accreditation where available then no restrictions. This should sort the dedicated shooters from the wannabe Rambo's. 30 shot mag limit as per above reason."

In general terms this has always been my thought.
First year, bolt actions, break open, single shot.
Second year, semi, pumps, levers.
Third, year pistol.
But there could be many variations on this theme. I don't think calibres should come into it but if there were restrictions then many after first year allow the big stuff like 416, British mg.
Basically L plate, p plate, full licence system.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 07 Sep 2017, 9:51 pm

I don't agree with those who want rimfire semi auto in Cat A with 10 round magazine then proposing unlimited capacity for centrefire semi auto.
The magazine limit is 15 rounds for Cat A rimfires I would suggest sticking with that.
I would also move 5 round semi/pump/deadly rapid fire lever shotguns to Cat A

Cat C to include centrefire semi auto and shotguns with more than 5 rounds to allow primary producers a better choice and not have the proposed several year wait for Cat D like some suggest.
It was the Victorian Nationals MP who was also the police minister who lobbied Howard to keep semi auto rimfires to put stock down like he had to in a drought, if farmers have to do this they should not be limited to 10 round magazine let them have 25 round magazines.

Allow Cat H for hunting.

If we don't vote for shooting friendly political parties it will never happen, voting Labor/Liberal/Greens or Nationals will see things get much tougher for us.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by knowsnothin » 07 Sep 2017, 10:02 pm

is there any evidence of a mass shooting from a rimfire semi auto rifle?
ever?

just seems like it was caught in the net.
90% of australians wouldn't know the difference between rimfire and centerfire.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 07 Sep 2017, 10:16 pm

knowsnothin wrote:is there any evidence of a mass shooting from a rimfire semi auto rifle?
ever?

Hoddle St, Julian Knight used one,no deaths several wounded, those he killed were with other guns he had.
Our second worst mass shooting was done with a Cat A single shot bolt action .22

The Bob Geldof song I don't like Mondays was about a woman who did a school shooting with a 10/22 in the USA
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Sep 2017, 10:39 pm

Knowsnothing it falls under the semi auto umbrella and governments need nothing more than that
Mate we gun owners didn't write the rules so we must take what we can get and prevent more loss of firearms usage and what type of fire arm
is banned in the future
We all don't think the same but we're all on the same page as far as gun laws and ownership is concerned ( although who wants what rifle is a personal thing )
These law makers are testing the waters finding out what sort or backlash will come before the big hit at present it would be political suicide to
do everything at once so if the tide comes in slowly you don't realise its up to your waist until its possibly too late
Semi auto 22 cal banned then there is the one now possibly going to be banned for looking too much like a semi auto, What the hell are these people thinking ?
The next fancy dress party I might go as a law maker because if I look like one I am one ( NOT ) but that's what they're saying look bad , is bad ban it
There is a set of cattle yards up back been there since the 18 hundreds and they haven't got as much BULL ****** in them as what the government is trying to spin
to us on gun laws

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Apollo » 08 Sep 2017, 2:06 am

Would it be a surprise that living in the country area. Knowing property owners that are really stuck in their ways, old...much older than me but really determined. To hear that quite a number do not have a firearms license, but they do have firearms and use them... semi auto, pump action, pistol etc... they will not conform to what they call stupid rules.

They do respect people nor have not hurt anyone. A firearm (even Pistol) is a Tool required in their work.

These are the people that when the new laws came in actually purchased a lot of firearms off those that were going to hand them in, paid better money too. They will always be there irrespective of what amnesty is around or what restrictions are or are not imposed. Respectable hard working people will always be that way.

Reminds me of a TV SHow... Moonshiners... Illegal and can't stop it.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 08 Sep 2017, 7:04 am

I have no problems with a multi step process to be able to get a semi like the p plate process that has been suggested. It all goes to show that the shooter is a safe and responsible user of firearms. .in my opinion this would work far better than the one day course we have now where the focus is on law and theory rather than practical. There are a few people that I know who have passed the current course that still have no idea and I would be very wary about shooting with them. :thumbsup:

Should add I don't think it should take years I reckon four months for each step is plenty
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Sep 2017, 8:38 am

The other day I watched a clip on tv about a school I think it was in south east Qld where the children are allowed to take their plastic guns to school
At school they have lockers to lock their guns away the same as you would do with real ones
Also they have to sit for an exam to gain a gun licence before being allowed to play at school with their gun
They have to check them out to play with them at lunch time then return them back to the lockers after lunch and lock them away
If they fail to lock them away they are given demerit points and when all points have been taken then 1 lunch play is taken away
They are given little safety exams from time to time with a little training
The school and children are from a rural area where guns are a every day need for farming and pro shooters
Now what a novel thing to have this as an every day thing in a school and train kids and have them grow up without a fear of guns and have a good understanding of gun safety
Maybe this should be looked at by the SSAA for the future, it certainly wouldn't do any harm
It may even win a lot more support from people
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2017, 9:27 am

knowsnothin wrote:is there any evidence of a mass shooting from a rimfire semi auto rifle?
ever?

The was a girl with a 10/22 lived across the street from a school in the US a long while back, killed a teacher and wounded some kids I think - I'd have to look it up. Probably doesn't count as a massacre though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 08 Sep 2017, 11:41 am

although I do agree with a provisional licence period with a restriction on calibre size for certain firearm types I do not agree with a practical test
the ssaa has been talking this one up for a while now and is only interested if it would be done at its ranges for a fee which I disagree with wholeheartedly if they are fair dinkum about wanting new guys into the sport do it for free or as part of your new membership, it costs nothing to open the range, no electricity ect..
if it were to happen it should be done as is the theory by volunteers who donate there time to keep it going, fark the ssaa and there money grabbing
the biggest problem with self loading firearms is it loads itself and is ready to fire without having to do anything, in the wrong hands this is dangerous, if we were allowed self loaders again (not going to happen) that is especially where a provisional licence would be needed IMO, you see some hand gun users who really should not have them as they do silly things like turning around and pointing the muzzle, these guys go through a ****** ton of practical before they get there licence
I also think we can be our own worst enemy's by even suggesting that we are not competent enough to be trusted,
the police and governments have made things the way they wanted it and its up to them to sort out who should and shouldn't have a gun,
we really don't have a choice about it do we, to make it fair would we all have to do a practical to show we are competent and to keep what we already have,
really we are talking about people who already have there licence and firearm
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 08 Sep 2017, 1:00 pm

marksman wrote:although I do agree with a provisional licence period with a restriction on calibre size for certain firearm types I do not agree with a practical test
the ssaa has been talking this one up for a while now and is only interested if it would be done at its ranges for a fee which I disagree with wholeheartedly if they are fair dinkum about wanting new guys into the sport do it for free or as part of your new membership, it costs nothing to open the range, no electricity ect..
if it were to happen it should be done as is the theory by volunteers who donate there time to keep it going, fark the ssaa and there money grabbing
the biggest problem with self loading firearms is it loads itself and is ready to fire without having to do anything, in the wrong hands this is dangerous, if we were allowed self loaders again (not going to happen) that is especially where a provisional licence would be needed IMO, you see some hand gun users who really should not have them as they do silly things like turning around and pointing the muzzle, these guys go through a ****** ton of practical before they get there licence
I also think we can be our own worst enemy's by even suggesting that we are not competent enough to be trusted,
the police and governments have made things the way they wanted it and its up to them to sort out who should and shouldn't have a gun,
we really don't have a choice about it do we, to make it fair would we all have to do a practical to show we are competent and to keep what we already have,
really we are talking about people who already have there licence and firearm

While i agree any competency testing should not be carried out by SSAA or any other one organisation for that matter, i do think there will never be any movement in firearms laws unless shooters are will to make some compromise in order to claw back some freedoms. As you say, Marksman, there are people who go through a "heap of training" but are still somewhat incompetent. In the climate we live in, politically, if we aren't seen to be conscious of safe handling and public safety then we have no chance of effecting any change.

In the system i suggest (in sketch form), testing would be carried out as part of licencing structure by the overseeing authority, like VicRoads licence testing. If you don't want a semi, then just keep you A&B licence and go about your merry way target shooting or hunting; no different to what it is now. Same with Cat C & Cat D, if you want to apply for these categories and can meet the requirements, then nothing would be any different to what it is now. All i propose is a path way for your Average Joe to obtain access to firearms currently beyond their reach in order to participate in legitimate sporting activities or pest control of animals like pigs & goats. This would open up local sporting opportunities and there is no doubt that semi-autos would be more effective when dealing with large mobs of pigs and goats than a manual action; even if they would make little difference for recreational "hunting" (which i put in a different category to pest control).

Too many shooters want to jump up and down, calling for a roll back of laws, without giving any thought to how to sell the idea to the community at large or what could be a viable compromise to make it happen. Too many also are just willing to throw up their hands and say, "it will never happen". Well, with that attitude and no plan nor willingness to compromise, then it never will and we look like nothing more than a bunch of petulant children throwing a tantrum because our toys have been taken away.

Just going to get my asbestos suit on again... :? :geek:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by marksman » 08 Sep 2017, 3:31 pm

"just going to get my asbestos suit on again... :? :geek: "

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: very funny, that has made my day

my it will never happen attitude comes from having contact with those in the know, maybe there will be a change of leadership and attitude at LRD, hmmm naaa

farmers and pest controllers are already eligible to apply for self loaders for vermin control in Victoria :allegedly:

try and get pest control on your licence as a valid reason for having your recreational licence, I'm am trying now, it may never happen
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2017, 3:46 pm

marksman wrote:farmers and pest controllers are already eligible to apply for self loaders for vermin control in Victoria :allegedly:

try and get pest control on your licence as a valid reason for having your recreational licence, I'm am trying now, it may never happen

Is there any benefit to having Pest Control on your licence?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 08 Sep 2017, 4:13 pm

I'm wanting to destroy pest animals in a populous place and one of the requirements is having pest control as a valid reason to have your licence
apart from that not at all
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2017, 4:37 pm

marksman wrote:I'm wanting to destroy pest animals in a populous place and one of the requirements is having pest control as a valid reason to have your licence
apart from that not at all

Okay, I wasn't aware that Pest Control was a requirement for that, I thought anybody could make the application.

I see what you mean.
"Do all individuals required to partake in the shooting have vermin control as a genuine need on their licence?"
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retrievemedia.asp?media_id=35147

However, there is nothing I can find about how it's possible to even get Vermin Control added to your licence?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 08 Sep 2017, 4:59 pm

I don't think it is required by all individuals who partake in controlling pests to have this reason on there licence, it is because of the populous place permit
there are clubs who do for example fox drives ect that don't need it
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Sep 2017, 12:55 am

All the preceding on "appearances" only ???????????????

Am seriously considering dressing myself to look like a Sherman Tank.
Maybe they'll ban me ?

Pssssst,,,,,,,,,,, don't tell them,, but I've got a wooden slingshot that's painted matte black and over coated with camo wrap.

As childish as all that sounds,,,,, this is what the powers to be equate to.

Vote the bastards out. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Sep 2017, 9:58 am

Ok you then look like a tank, where do we place the shell to fire it ? lol
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Sep 2017, 8:41 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Ok you then look like a tank, where do we place the shell to fire it ? lol

Oooooops ,,,,,, :shock:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Sep 2017, 9:52 am

Here is a bit of info you may not have read that I found on google about some of the states in America that put a temporary ban on guns
The findings of a survey was not surprising at the least
The survey was done by an independent group early into the bans and they found that crime elevated and violent crime rose greatly early into the bans
At the end of the trial period for the bans crime had risen more and violent crime had almost got out of hand and yet when they brought back the old
law there was still people wanting bans on guns I presume a lot of these were victims of gun violence whilst the bans were in place or prior
These findings can be argued for or against guns but the facts have been proven time and again even in Australia but governments still push for bans on guns
During the survey they interviewed inmates of a hard prison in the usa and they feared the armed citizen more so than the police because people feared for their
life and was wore prone to fatally shooting them
These findings echo all around the place that gun bans don't stop violent crime even if its committed with a gun and yes we will always have deaths by gun
the same as cars snakes and so on

So I ask you why doesn't the Australian government do a comprehensive survey and be practicable about this and be truthful about the findings or are they beyond truth
to people and i'm pretty sure the findings would be much like Americas
By doing something as simple as this would win them back some credibility for the government from most all gun lovers and non gun lovers because the truth would be there for all to see and then work on the act of criminals with guns period and crimes with guns
This would do more for the pollies cause than the deceitfulness and the knee jerk laws of now
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Sep 2017, 10:00 am

grandadbushy wrote:Here is a bit of info you may not have read that I found on google about some of the states in America that put a temporary ban on guns
The findings of a survey was not surprising at the least
The survey was done by an independent group early into the bans and they found that crime elevated and violent crime rose greatly early into the bans
At the end of the trial period for the bans crime had risen more and violent crime had almost got out of hand and yet when they brought back the old
law there was still people wanting bans on guns I presume a lot of these were victims of gun violence whilst the bans were in place or prior
These findings can be argued for or against guns but the facts have been proven time and again even in Australia but governments still push for bans on guns
During the survey they interviewed inmates of a hard prison in the usa and they feared the armed citizen more so than the police because people feared for their
life and was wore prone to fatally shooting them
These findings echo all around the place that gun bans don't stop violent crime even if its committed with a gun and yes we will always have deaths by gun
the same as cars snakes and so on

So I ask you why doesn't the Australian government do a comprehensive survey and be practicable about this and be truthful about the findings or are they beyond truth
to people and i'm pretty sure the findings would be much like Americas
By doing something as simple as this would win them back some credibility for the government from most all gun lovers and non gun lovers because the truth would be there for all to see and then work on the act of criminals with guns period and crimes with guns
This would do more for the pollies cause than the deceitfulness and the knee jerk laws of now

It's got nothing to do with crime or safety etc, there is an agenda world wide to disarm civilians (they use safety and crime as the excuse as to why this should happen) but as we know banning things doesn't do jack s**t to prevent them from being obtained, you only have to look at the Alcohol Prohibition or drugs for that matter.

We are smack bang in the middle of the "Social Engineering" of the world to lead us down the path of a One World Gov't which is the Agenda and god only knows what that will mean in the years to come.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Sep 2017, 10:06 am

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Sep 2017, 11:08 am

Geez if there is any truth in that heavy ****** then what chance do we have
Although some of it does seem to fall into place wether it was planed that way or not who knows but it does leave you thinking
The part where the filthy rich don't give a flying f*** about ordinary people that has always been the case
So its all about power nothing more
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 11 Sep 2017, 11:57 am

grandadbushy wrote:Geez if there is any truth in that heavy ****** then what chance do we have
Although some of it does seem to fall into place wether it was planed that way or not who knows but it does leave you thinking
The part where the filthy rich don't give a flying f*** about ordinary people that has always been the case
So its all about power nothing more

Yep that's what it's about!!.
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Sep 2017, 3:55 pm

I keep getting hit with the old "there haven't been any mass shootings since Port Arthur" garbage, but they forget that there weren't any of significance before Port Arthur either, and we had supposedly "virtually non-existent" gun laws before that. And I am well aware that thousands of aboriginals were massacred with firearms right up until the early twentieth century, but that is of no concern to the anti-gun morons.
Regardless of our gun laws, there will be another Port Arthur, and the government knows it. So they need to ban our guns before it happens and destroys all their credibility about legal firearms being a danger to the community.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 11 Sep 2017, 8:59 pm

bad
Last edited by sungazer on 02 Oct 2017, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by lee_enfield223 » 02 Oct 2017, 7:36 pm

I think that the firearms registrys of a few states, as well as a lots of over paid pollies and do gooders want to ban everything and this is just the start, before long it will be single shot 22lr's that they want to ban, but I think that we have a few years yet,,,,,and I really hope that I am WRONG, I lost my M14,SLR, and AR15, and was lucky to be paid, but now that they know where to look!!! they won't pay next time. I hate to talk like this but these people will never give up.But then again just look at half the third world country's with no legal gun ownership and their high homicide rates
lee_enfield223
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws