NSW bans more guns, whaaa?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW bans more guns, whaaa?

Post by marksman » 08 Sep 2017, 4:59 pm

I don't think it is required by all individuals who partake in controlling pests to have this reason on there licence, it is because of the populous place permit
there are clubs who do for example fox drives ect that don't need it
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Sep 2017, 12:55 am

All the preceding on "appearances" only ???????????????

Am seriously considering dressing myself to look like a Sherman Tank.
Maybe they'll ban me ?

Pssssst,,,,,,,,,,, don't tell them,, but I've got a wooden slingshot that's painted matte black and over coated with camo wrap.

As childish as all that sounds,,,,, this is what the powers to be equate to.

Vote the bastards out. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Sep 2017, 9:58 am

Ok you then look like a tank, where do we place the shell to fire it ? lol
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Sep 2017, 8:41 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Ok you then look like a tank, where do we place the shell to fire it ? lol

Oooooops ,,,,,, :shock:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Sep 2017, 9:52 am

Here is a bit of info you may not have read that I found on google about some of the states in America that put a temporary ban on guns
The findings of a survey was not surprising at the least
The survey was done by an independent group early into the bans and they found that crime elevated and violent crime rose greatly early into the bans
At the end of the trial period for the bans crime had risen more and violent crime had almost got out of hand and yet when they brought back the old
law there was still people wanting bans on guns I presume a lot of these were victims of gun violence whilst the bans were in place or prior
These findings can be argued for or against guns but the facts have been proven time and again even in Australia but governments still push for bans on guns
During the survey they interviewed inmates of a hard prison in the usa and they feared the armed citizen more so than the police because people feared for their
life and was wore prone to fatally shooting them
These findings echo all around the place that gun bans don't stop violent crime even if its committed with a gun and yes we will always have deaths by gun
the same as cars snakes and so on

So I ask you why doesn't the Australian government do a comprehensive survey and be practicable about this and be truthful about the findings or are they beyond truth
to people and i'm pretty sure the findings would be much like Americas
By doing something as simple as this would win them back some credibility for the government from most all gun lovers and non gun lovers because the truth would be there for all to see and then work on the act of criminals with guns period and crimes with guns
This would do more for the pollies cause than the deceitfulness and the knee jerk laws of now
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Sep 2017, 10:00 am

grandadbushy wrote:Here is a bit of info you may not have read that I found on google about some of the states in America that put a temporary ban on guns
The findings of a survey was not surprising at the least
The survey was done by an independent group early into the bans and they found that crime elevated and violent crime rose greatly early into the bans
At the end of the trial period for the bans crime had risen more and violent crime had almost got out of hand and yet when they brought back the old
law there was still people wanting bans on guns I presume a lot of these were victims of gun violence whilst the bans were in place or prior
These findings can be argued for or against guns but the facts have been proven time and again even in Australia but governments still push for bans on guns
During the survey they interviewed inmates of a hard prison in the usa and they feared the armed citizen more so than the police because people feared for their
life and was wore prone to fatally shooting them
These findings echo all around the place that gun bans don't stop violent crime even if its committed with a gun and yes we will always have deaths by gun
the same as cars snakes and so on

So I ask you why doesn't the Australian government do a comprehensive survey and be practicable about this and be truthful about the findings or are they beyond truth
to people and i'm pretty sure the findings would be much like Americas
By doing something as simple as this would win them back some credibility for the government from most all gun lovers and non gun lovers because the truth would be there for all to see and then work on the act of criminals with guns period and crimes with guns
This would do more for the pollies cause than the deceitfulness and the knee jerk laws of now

It's got nothing to do with crime or safety etc, there is an agenda world wide to disarm civilians (they use safety and crime as the excuse as to why this should happen) but as we know banning things doesn't do jack s**t to prevent them from being obtained, you only have to look at the Alcohol Prohibition or drugs for that matter.

We are smack bang in the middle of the "Social Engineering" of the world to lead us down the path of a One World Gov't which is the Agenda and god only knows what that will mean in the years to come.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Sep 2017, 10:06 am

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Sep 2017, 11:08 am

Geez if there is any truth in that heavy ****** then what chance do we have
Although some of it does seem to fall into place wether it was planed that way or not who knows but it does leave you thinking
The part where the filthy rich don't give a flying f*** about ordinary people that has always been the case
So its all about power nothing more
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 11 Sep 2017, 11:57 am

grandadbushy wrote:Geez if there is any truth in that heavy ****** then what chance do we have
Although some of it does seem to fall into place wether it was planed that way or not who knows but it does leave you thinking
The part where the filthy rich don't give a flying f*** about ordinary people that has always been the case
So its all about power nothing more

Yep that's what it's about!!.
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Sep 2017, 3:55 pm

I keep getting hit with the old "there haven't been any mass shootings since Port Arthur" garbage, but they forget that there weren't any of significance before Port Arthur either, and we had supposedly "virtually non-existent" gun laws before that. And I am well aware that thousands of aboriginals were massacred with firearms right up until the early twentieth century, but that is of no concern to the anti-gun morons.
Regardless of our gun laws, there will be another Port Arthur, and the government knows it. So they need to ban our guns before it happens and destroys all their credibility about legal firearms being a danger to the community.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 11 Sep 2017, 8:59 pm

bad
Last edited by sungazer on 02 Oct 2017, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by lee_enfield223 » 02 Oct 2017, 7:36 pm

I think that the firearms registrys of a few states, as well as a lots of over paid pollies and do gooders want to ban everything and this is just the start, before long it will be single shot 22lr's that they want to ban, but I think that we have a few years yet,,,,,and I really hope that I am WRONG, I lost my M14,SLR, and AR15, and was lucky to be paid, but now that they know where to look!!! they won't pay next time. I hate to talk like this but these people will never give up.But then again just look at half the third world country's with no legal gun ownership and their high homicide rates
lee_enfield223
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by andreweden » 14 Oct 2017, 11:42 am

brett1868 wrote:
AusTac wrote:Yeah heard about that :/ dta's are apparently no go now, would be interested to know how you get on brett

Chatting to Sean now and will chase up my registry contacts on Monday for an update cause this is going to get nasty if they go the Adler path or want to confiscate them.

Did this ever get resolved one way or the other?
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by clarence » 17 Oct 2017, 7:28 am

Just to clarify a few things about the USA:

1. Our constitution does not "grant" the right to keep and bear arms. It merely forbids the government from violating that right. It is an inalienable right that we already had. This was finally settled in the US Supreme Court in 2008. All but a few states also have this in their constitution.

2. We do not lack health insurance most ( 85-90% ) get coverage through their employers. The poor get Medicaid. The elderly get Medicare. There is a gap that so
that some working poor at part time jobs do not get covered, but it is really a small percentage. This has been addressed somewhat by so called Obamacare but it is costly and needs to be fixed.
clarence
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Hoogzy » 04 Dec 2017, 8:12 am

I wish I was articulate enough to be able to write a 'well written' letter, basically pointing out that the "Looks like" legislation needs to be reviewed. Up until recent times, firearm design has changed (evolved) little since invention. It could be argued that pistol grips and bull-pup designs are just evolution of the bolt action rifle with better design and ergonomics in mind. They have no affect whatsoever on the function of the rifle. The phrase "resembles a firearm adapted for military purpose" is too broad... The military use standard looking bolt action rifles as well...

I'd send it to my local member, John Barilaro... (NSW Nationals Party Leader and Deputy Premier)
Hoogzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Baitlayer » 29 Dec 2017, 2:16 pm

Just read through this thread with some interest.I have only one question.It seems clear that these weapons are being banned because the sight of them might scare the the public.My question.When will they ever see them? At home they are locked in a safe.In transit they are secured out of sight and at a range or hunting location they only likely to be seen by other LAFOs. who I doubt would be scared of them.
If this is not case then I can only assume that the relevant authorities feel that ownership of such a firearm will automatically have us wandering the streets and firing randomly at anything or anyone that moves.
Again, if they don't ever see them, how can they be scared by them?
Ian
Baitlayer
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 29 Dec 2017, 2:46 pm

I tend to think there is some bizarre logic in the collective police mind that if there ever is a situation where they are called out to an active shooter scenario and something "looks military" that they will know the threat level if "military appearance" guns are not in general circulation. If people tart up their bolt actions to look like ARs or the like, then they won't be able to tell at a distance if it is bolt action, semi or full auto.
Weird? Yes, but it is the only semi rational reason i can come up with.

By the way. these rules are nothing new. 303s were restricted post war due to their 'military nature'; that's why there were so many 'sporterised' 303 based wildcats in Australia. Or so i understand the history to be.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by southeast varmiter » 29 Dec 2017, 4:40 pm

The reason 303 was banned was not on appearance but caliber. As in EU, they didn’t want you to have guns chambered in plentiful government supplied ammo.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Dec 2017, 7:29 am

Ok. Still, legacy of controlling military style guns.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Daddybang » 30 Dec 2017, 8:57 am

Baitlayer wrote:Just read through this thread with some interest.I have only one question.It seems clear that these weapons are being banned because the sight of them might scare the the public.My question.When will they ever see them? At home they are locked in a safe.In transit they are secured out of sight and at a range or hunting location they only likely to be seen by other LAFOs. who I doubt would be scared of them.
If this is not case then I can only assume that the relevant authorities feel that ownership of such a firearm will automatically have us wandering the streets and firing randomly at anything or anyone that moves.
Again, if they don't ever see them, how can they be scared by them?
Ian

There is no rational or logical reason for most of the firearms legislation. Trying to find one will just hurt ya head. :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by doc » 04 Jan 2018, 3:55 pm

My take is the reason they are banned is that it's the next 'small slice' that they were able to take to eat into the current freedom (or what's left of it) when it comes to owning firearms. What government tell you is the reason, and the real reasons are normally quite different.

As a different example: take safety camera's for instance. They say it's about safety - but it's primarily about revenue. (Every now and then the proof leaks out such as minutes of a meeting where a safety camera was rejected at a certain location because it wouldn't "raise enough revenue", or a survey of police members that show more than 2/3rds of them agree that it's about revenue raising)...

Call me cynical - but generally speaking - if a politician gives me a reason - I tend to suspect they're lying. I believe the same applies here, regardless of whatever reason they might or might not give you. Recently I've been suspecting that politicians and bureaucrats aren't as dumb as people on here and elsewhere suggest. (In fact, I wonder if it's their best successful deception yet - letting people think that these decisions are made because they're dumb - and not because they have an agenda.) Rather I'm suspicious that these decisions are very deliberate and and intentionally thought out - not just a whim of the moment from someone who doesn't know better. Sure - some of them may be ignorant about the truth of firearms, and again I wonder if they're the 'show pony' for keeping a 'dumb' image.

My guess is either it was another excuse for them to remove and/or restrict firearms just that little bit more, or they're testing the waters to see just how far they can push things without a good reason. (Or both).
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 28 Jan 2018, 5:21 pm

The thing with this continual chipping away, bit by peice, at our ability to own firearms is the parliamentary whores we have allowed to take over.
Every one of them has their own little pet project or legislation, and every one of them is willing to trade us "down the river" to get their project up.
If that means supporting some extra bit of leglislative bastardry to buy support for their pet project, so be it.
We keep voting for these creatures because we are denied the right to vote for "None Of The Above".
What if they held an election and nobody voted for anyone?
Perhaps that's the only way to get their attention.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jan 2018, 6:35 pm

"Nope, just vote below the line and put the majors and the greentatds last!"

Gets my vote. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 29 Jan 2018, 12:07 pm

"Nope, just vote below the line and put the majors and the greentatds last!"

Trouble is, that's still voting for established entities who have made preference deals and the same cunning stunts end up getting in anyway.
We need to stop voting for any of them, period. Voting only encourages the bastards.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 29 Jan 2018, 2:50 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:"Nope, just vote below the line and put the majors and the greentatds last!"

Trouble is, that's still voting for established entities who have made preference deals and the same cunning stunts end up getting in anyway.
We need to stop voting for any of them, period. Voting only encourages the bastards.

Personally I like democracy. I think they've tried it your way around 1917 around Europe somewhere, didn't work all to well LOL
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 29 Jan 2018, 9:29 pm

"Personally I like democracy. "
If you actually like what our politicians pass off as "representative" government and think that that is democracy, I've got this nice bridge, going cheap.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 15 Feb 2018, 5:22 pm

Just watching the ABC 24 News about the latest mass school shooting in Florida.
As much as we complain about our gun laws, things are at the opposite end of the insanity scale in the US.
A Democrat senator was saying that with the laws as they are, they can't even ban people on the Terrorist Watch List from buying high capacity semi-auto rifles.
No wonder they are having dramas, with every nong with cash able to attend a gun show and buy whatever they want with no checks and no wait time.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 15 Feb 2018, 5:30 pm

16-18 this year, in USA, depends how you look at it.

Let's pause for a moment. A firearm was discharged 18 times in the last two months across schools in the USA.

At some point, it stops being a gun problem. There's just something deeply deeply wrong with mentality of those people. The kids, their parents, media, everything. Just really, really wrong and dark.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 15 Feb 2018, 5:39 pm

I think our American posters can set us straight on the ownership rules which I am sure vary from state to state. But my understanding is if you have committed a crime even a small one by our standards. You are banned from ever owning a gun. At least here it is only a temporary non ownership.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 15 Feb 2018, 6:19 pm

juststarting wrote:16-18 this year, in USA, depends how you look at it.

Let's pause for a moment. A firearm was discharged 18 times in the last two months across schools in the USA.

At some point, it stops being a gun problem. There's just something deeply deeply wrong with mentality of those people. The kids, their parents, media, everything. Just really, really wrong and dark.

I'd say they have a severe mental health issue in the US. An extension of their mercinary health care system.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws