Safe Access

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Safe Access

Post by Beaker » 30 Aug 2017, 8:16 pm

Hi All, new to the site today so i apologise if this has been asked before.
My son and i have just applied for our licences and am in the waiting line now.
While we will both have a A@B category licence my son can't own a firearm as he is a minor
my question is
Is he allowed to have access to the safe to get ammo to take to the range while my firearms will be in it?
I've searched QLD licencing but it only says he can't own a firearm.

Thanks
Beaker
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Safe Access

Post by bladeracer » 31 Aug 2017, 6:00 pm

Beaker wrote:Hi All, new to the site today so i apologise if this has been asked before.
My son and i have just applied for our licences and am in the waiting line now.
While we will both have a A@B category licence my son can't own a firearm as he is a minor
my question is
Is he allowed to have access to the safe to get ammo to take to the range while my firearms will be in it?
I've searched QLD licencing but it only says he can't own a firearm.

Thanks

A Junior or Minor licence allows access to a firearm _only_ under supervision. If it's not for hunting or recreational shooting then it only allows access at an approved range. I would assume access to ammunition would be the same.
So, no, he can't have access to the safe except under your supervision if you have a recreational/hunting licence. He also can't "take ammo to the range" as he can't "possess" it except under supervision of an RO at the range.

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/licenceApplication/licences/minors.htm
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 31 Aug 2017, 6:17 pm

Gday beaker :welcome: bladeracer is correct a minors lic only allows the holder to access firearms and ammo under supervision of a licensed adult. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 01 Sep 2017, 1:20 am

Yep, BR and DB are right on the money!..... The good old days when you could send the kids off to school on the bus with a gun... to undertake target / clay target / hunting at school as an elective subject is a thing of the past... :roll: . I grew up when that was normal (take own gun "no ammo" or use one of the 30 odd public school owned guns)... It was completely harmless, but will never be seen again.... :thumbsdown: These days it's all about guns are bad and the valuable school based firearms safety training is a long and gone thing of the past :thumbsdown: It's a :crazy: ass sad world we live in now a days !!!!!

Anyhoo.... :violin: V

Also remember that the missus (or anyone else) must not have access to the safe (code / override key's) , unless they are licensed accordingly to do so.......

Welcome to the forum btw.....

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Beaker » 01 Sep 2017, 8:52 pm

thanks for the info guys. wasn't 100% sure so best to ask first.
Beaker
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Hugh » 02 Sep 2017, 8:13 am

darwindingo wrote:Yep, BR and DB are right on the money!..... The good old days when you could send the kids off to school on the bus with a gun... to undertake target / clay target / hunting at school as an elective subject is a thing of the past... :roll: . I grew up when that was normal (take own gun "no ammo" or use one of the 30 odd public school owned guns)... It was completely harmless, but will never be seen again.... :thumbsdown: These days it's all about guns are bad and the valuable school based firearms safety training is a long and gone thing of the past :thumbsdown: It's a :crazy: ass sad world we live in now a days !!!!!

Anyhoo.... :violin: V

Also remember that the missus (or anyone else) must not have access to the safe (code / override key's) , unless they are licensed accordingly to do so.......

Welcome to the forum btw.....

:drinks:

Jeff

I to are from the days when at high school in vic on Wednesday afternoon we did skeet shooting,and that morning I would walk to school with trusty Mossberg pump 12g under my arm.They would have the SWAT team out nowadays.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws