Ebay Muzzle Brakes

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: Ebay Muzzle Brakes

Post by juststarting » 05 Sep 2017, 10:51 pm

No idea, dude. Stress from recoil, doesn't have to be insane, just consistent. Alignment could be another big one or lose threads. I am really guessing here, I have no idea because I never used those, so I don't know.

What I have used is everything else, based on that experience, having plier handles snap, drill bit snap, tap and die kits having really bad workmanship compared to same items, but made in England, I just chose to stay clear of certain items.

Now, there's a bunch of stuff I am happy with, from China and we shop on fasttech, dx, aliexpress and many others all the time. Clothing and electronics, toys, etc. Quality is pretty good, service is excellent. However, when it comes to metal stuff, I just found it to be very bad quality and rather avoid that entirely.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 05 Sep 2017, 10:53 pm

Oldbloke wrote:My bet is they are all made in China for about $2. Just some are made to a spec for brand names.

Incredibly simple to make these days.

I said exactly that in my previous post, no? Brand names have their own material QA and manufacturing QA standards. It's when you go generic factory and cheap, that's when you start hitting snags.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 06 Sep 2017, 4:03 pm

Rikta wrote:so given that only expanding gas comes in contact with the brake what is there really, aside from insane amounts of recoil on some massive magnums or wildcat rounds, that can break the brake?

The gas pressure is what will be relevant. These are rough numbers, but will give you an idea...

Peak chamber pressure from a .308 with a typical 165gr load will be somewhere in the neighbourhood of 58,000 psi.

Obviously as the bullet moves through the barrel, creating an increasing volume of space behind it, the pressure reduces. A quick bit of research would suggest that just before the bullet exits there muzzle of a 24" barrel you're looking at about 8,000 psi of contained pressure.

This would drop sharply once the bullet was moving away freely and no longer being restricted by the rifling but you're still talking about a significant amount of pressure being channelled through the first baffle of the brake. I dunno... maybe a split second peak of 5,000 psi? Honestly though that's a very rough guess and I could be wrong, it could be a lot lower.

Obviously it's manageable, as demonstrated by the fact there are a million people out there happily using brakes. Make a well designed brake using suitably strong material and it's fine.

If some knockoff merchant loosely copies a product they don't understand and has some fabrication place whip it up on the cheap using ??? metal, then who knows. I'm not saying this is the case for anyone in particular, but that would be the concern.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Sep 2017, 4:18 pm

If it were pot metal I'd be concerned, but not steel, iron or aluminium.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wal » 19 Oct 2017, 7:56 am

Rikta wrote:Anyone know the legalities of buying accessories like muzzle brakes off ebay from international sellers?

I bought an Anderson Manufactured flash suppressor for my .223 from the US eBay and had no dramas getting it into Australia.
Wal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 19 Oct 2017, 6:36 pm

Legit

---
juststarting
Captain
Captain