WA licence addition question

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

WA licence addition question

Post by Bruiser64 » 11 Sep 2017, 11:18 pm

Hi, I have recently joined the forum after following it for a while. As fellow WA shooters know adding new firearms to your licence is expensive and a pain. Therefore it is important for me to make a sound choice. I want to get a Tikka T3 .243 for foxes, roos and hopefully pigs and goats. The issue for me is will I have a problem licencing a .223 as well at the same time? I am considering the .223 as I am after something that bridges the gap between my .22 lr and the .243. I want something that my young stepson can use for fox and bunny shooting at longer range.

I have considered the .22 magnum. But as I will be reloading the .243, I have also considered the .22 hornet as reloaded ammo for one will be comparable to the cost of .22 magnum ammo. The hornet would be good for the lad to shoot. Given that a hornet costs the same as a .223 to buy,it seems to make more economic sense to get the .223. Particularly given I can load the .223 to be closer to hornet ballistics for the lad. But I cant make a hornet perform like a .223.

The problem of course is that WAPOL won't care about about the economics. Has anybody got experience licencing a .223 and a .243? What reasons did you need to give? I will get letters for a 5000 acre property and a 2000 acre property. So getting either wont be a problem. Getting both of them is what may be an issue as they are "similar".
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Re: WA licence addition question

Post by bladeracer » 12 Sep 2017, 3:29 pm

I can't comment on the licencing, but if you're going to be reloading the .243 why not just replicate .223 performance for your son to shoot? I shoot lots of 58gn VMax's through .243, fast and slow. At 2000fps it makes a very pleasant Sub-MoA round you can shoot all day long without getting the chamber hot.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 12 Sep 2017, 3:35 pm

sorry I cant help either Bruiser64
but this type of thing makes me happy to be in 4 seasons in one day (Victoria)
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by knowsnothin » 12 Sep 2017, 6:15 pm

You are right.
.243 and 223 are pretty close in terms of performance.

If you are going to all this effort why not get a .223 and a 6.5 for more emphatic kills.

Plus they are different enough for WAPOL to understand one is for foxes and the other for dogs.

.223 ammo is cheap when you are buying bulk and on special.

It certainly is a pain. good luck
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Rikta » 12 Sep 2017, 7:16 pm

ok ive solved your problem, If you want to get the 223 as well as the other gun, drop the 243 and get a 25-06 or a 270 or a 6.5x55 aswell

the 25-06 isnt something I own but its a great cartridge with great round and freaking awesome velocities.. otherwise step it up to a swede or a 270win
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 12 Sep 2017, 9:42 pm

The 223 is needed for affective and humane destruction of rabbits and foxes to reach out to distances that are not affective or ethical with 22lr

The 243 is needed for the affective and humane destruction of foxes and goats and will be fitted with a night vision scope for affective night time hunting.

2 valid reasons for 2 guns close to the same calibre and needed for 2 entirely different reasons
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 12 Sep 2017, 9:51 pm

Also you claim the 243 is for shooting Donkeys because according to my WAPOL spreadsheet 223 is not affective for the task
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 12 Sep 2017, 10:11 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. If I have to chose between the .243 or the .223 I will go for the .243. I think it is a more versatile cartridge. I have no doubt I could approval to get a hornet and the .243. The reason being that I have a letter for a 300 acre property as well where the owner has given me permission to use a 22 hornet. I just think the 223 makes more economic sense. I know I would get permission to use a 6.5 swede on one of the propert owners has one himself. Aah, the agony of choice.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Rikta » 12 Sep 2017, 10:22 pm

300 acres isnt going to allow for much here in WA in regards to High powered rifles.... perhaps in low velocity stuff, gotta have a min 500 just for 223 and thats if theyre feeling nice about it.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 12 Sep 2017, 10:53 pm

Rikta wrote:300 acres isnt going to allow for much here in WA in regards to High powered rifles.... perhaps in low velocity stuff, gotta have a min 500 just for 223 and thats if theyre feeling nice about it.

300 arces is more than enough for a 22 hornet, minimum requirments is 100 acres
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 12 Sep 2017, 11:09 pm

Sawyers wrote:
Rikta wrote:300 acres isnt going to allow for much here in WA in regards to High powered rifles.... perhaps in low velocity stuff, gotta have a min 500 just for 223 and thats if theyre feeling nice about it.

I suppose the point I was trying to make was that I have letters for a 5000 acre property, a 2000 + acre property and a 300 acre property. So I can argue that I need a hornet to humanely destroy foxes on the 300 acre property. But I need the .243 for the longer range shooting on the larger properties.

My preference however is to get a .223 over the hornet. I like the idea that I need the .243 to shoot wild dogs and the .223 to shoot foxes. The only issue is do the police actually check if wild dogs are a problem on the property?
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Rikta » 12 Sep 2017, 11:16 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:
Sawyers wrote:

I suppose the point I was trying to make was that I have letters for a 5000 acre property, a 2000 + acre property and a 300 acre property. So I can argue that I need a hornet to humanely destroy foxes on the 300 acre property. But I need the .243 for the longer range shooting on the larger properties.

My preference however is to get a .223 over the hornet. I like the idea that I need the .243 to shoot wild dogs and the .223 to shoot foxes. The only issue is do the police actually check if wild dogs are a problem on the property?

LOL no, they dont, but just to be sure make sure the property owner knows what youre telling the cops you want it for incase they call to check up on the letter.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by holden4th » 24 Oct 2017, 7:52 pm

My brother is in WA has many guns, most of them pistols which really send the shivers up the back of WAPOL when he asks for a new one. He is a very good competiton shooter.

What he has found is if you justify, in writing, your reason for needing another firearm, then they are obliged to grant it. The fact that in your case they are different calibres makes this task easy. All you have to is justify it ballistically and they won't have the faintest idea of what you are talking about!
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 24 Oct 2017, 10:53 pm

Thanks for the replies blokes. After discussing things with the LGS I decided to get the .243 and a 22 wmr. Their advice was it would be easier convince Firearms Branch to allow a 308 and a 223 as opposed to the .223 and .243. The reason being the 243 Is too similar to the 223 in what it does.

I really have no need or desire for a 308 so decided to cheap out and get the .22wmr. I figured if it was too far away to shoot with the 22 wmr then the little bloke is just going to miss out while I have a crack with the .243. Plus it is such a stuff around to get new firearms I really cant be bothered getting into a stoush with Firearms Branch and potentially dragging out the whole process.

Once I have used the 243 and 22wmr for a while l will get a clearer idea of whether I will want another centrefire. The .17 hornet is a calibre that I find appealing. Sadly for me I am not independently wealthy so I have to spread out my toy purchases. The other issue I have is shooting is just one of my many hobbies that I spend money on. Luckily I am pretty sorted on the fishing gear front.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 25 Oct 2017, 7:02 am

Sawyers wrote:

Jeezus they really don't want ya to shoot over there!!!! :thumbsdown: I own eighty acres and can shoot any legal calibre/chambering I like on it!! :lol: :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Western Australia gun laws