Qld - storing with action broken

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Qld - storing with action broken

Post by jak444 » 14 Sep 2017, 8:46 am

Qld legislation states that firearms must be stored in the safe with bolt removed or action broken.

Fairly straight forward and no ambiguity.

So my question is how do you store a break action shotgun standing up in the safe?

Isn't it unstable?

Hope this isn't too much of a stupid question haha.

Thanks for any input.... Even if only to point out the obvious to me (eg I'm an idiot)...
jak444
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Qld - storing with action broken

Post by Daddybang » 14 Sep 2017, 8:52 am

Not a silly question at all my understanding is that as long as the action is not fully closed it's fine. By that I mean it doesn't have to be stored bent all the way open . hope that makes sense :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by jak444 » 14 Sep 2017, 9:17 am

Awesome - that's what I was planning on doing.

Thanks for the reply :drinks:
jak444
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 14 Sep 2017, 9:23 am

how ridiculous :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 14 Sep 2017, 9:23 am

No worries. Ya can always slip a bit of rubber or something in to prevent it accidentally shutting :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by jak444 » 14 Sep 2017, 9:44 am

Bloody ridiculous...

But have to take this nanny state stuff seriously or look out :roll:

Thanks for the tip about the rubber - that should remove any doubt that the action is broken should I be subject to an inspection :D
jak444
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 14 Sep 2017, 11:49 am

marksman wrote:how ridiculous :unknown:

Yep just one of the examples of stupidity in qld legislation :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 14 Sep 2017, 12:37 pm

Only way i can fit all my guns in my safe is to break my shotgun in 2 and store behind my rifles. I agree its a silly rule, i have 2 flexible pad locks on my levers because you cant remove their bolts
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by pete1 » 14 Sep 2017, 11:10 pm

I can't believe you have to break the action, should be major thing in next qld election no stupid gun laws oh wait thats 90%.
Even removing the bolt wouldn't take a genius to put the bolt back in if they robed you.

If the action is broken its quicker to load so what ever there trying to stop its failing.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 15 Sep 2017, 6:58 am

pete1 wrote:I can't believe you have to break the action, should be major thing in next qld election no stupid gun laws oh wait thats 90%.
Even removing the bolt wouldn't take a genius to put the bolt back in if they robed you.

If the action is broken its quicker to load so what ever there trying to stop its failing.

It's so "they" can see it's unloaded :allegedly:
:thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 15 Sep 2017, 7:00 am

Cable type padlock, wrapped around the action while broken, will lock it in a broken state.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pete1 » 15 Sep 2017, 10:36 am

Daddybang wrote:
pete1 wrote:I can't believe you have to break the action, should be major thing in next qld election no stupid gun laws oh wait thats 90%.

It's so "they" can see it's unloaded :allegedly:
:thumbsup:

Its funny once when i was out in state forest couple of coppers asked if they could see my licence, then wanted to check serial number of rifle and there just doing there job no problem.
This it where it gets funny i ejected the magazine and opened the bolt, to show them it was unloaded (a polite thing to do) the copper said to his coworker why is every shooter obsessed with handing me a unloaded gun. I was lost for words, thought this would of being in there training?
They were very polite, but left me wondering what has Victoria police be come.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Patriot » 17 Oct 2018, 7:06 pm

How do you store the straight pull spring loaded bolt actions like Pardus or Impala.

Do you have to pull it do bits to get the bolt out or can you just latch the bolt open(breaking the action) and put a trigger lock on it.

Anyone know what the coppers are happy with?
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JSS » 17 Oct 2018, 7:20 pm

I don't leave my levers broken in the safe. i figure i'm the only one who has access to it and am going to be the only one pulling guns out of it and they will be broken/cleared before they get handed to anyone else who might be with me at the time.
Same goes for my handguns too.

I suspect a lot of the firearms legislation was written by a couple of drunk monkeys. :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 17 Oct 2018, 7:27 pm

I'm pretty sure the legislation says something about "or a trigger lock fitted" or words to that effect so fit a lock :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 20 Oct 2018, 1:13 pm

Refer to Weapons Regulations 2016, Section 95 - Storage of weapon not in person’s physical possession.
Pag 71, 72
Section 95.
(2) The person must, when the weapon is not in the person’s physical possession, store it unloaded in—
(a) a securely closed container, with—
(i) the bolt of the weapon removed; or
(ii) a trigger lock fitted to the weapon; or
(b) a locked container.

Problem solved.... :thumbsup:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 21 Oct 2018, 7:12 am

So does the last line there "in a locked container" mean that.if its in the safe the bolt doesn't have to be removed? :unknown:
:drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 21 Oct 2018, 7:14 am

RoginaJack wrote:Refer to Weapons Regulations 2016, Section 95 - Storage of weapon not in person’s physical possession.
Pag 71, 72
Section 95.
(2) The person must, when the weapon is not in the person’s physical possession, store it unloaded in—
(b) a locked container.

Section 95 is for when away from your primary storage.

Section 94 is about primary storage.

S94 (2) A person who possesses a weapon must, when the weapon is not in the person’s physical possession, store it unloaded in a locked container complying with subsections (5) and (6), with the weapon’s bolt removed or its action broken.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 21 Oct 2018, 2:33 pm

TheDude wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:Refer to Weapons Regulations 2016, Section 95 - Storage of weapon not in person’s physical possession.
Pag 71, 72
Section 95.
(b) a locked container.

S94 (2) A person who possesses a weapon must, when the weapon is not in the person’s physical possession, store it unloaded in a locked container complying with subsections (5) and (6), with the weapon’s bolt removed or its action broken.

I agree section 94 applies

Looks like I’m pulling it to bits to remove the bolt

Thanks all for your replies
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 22 Oct 2018, 4:15 am

Patriot wrote:
TheDude wrote:
Pag 71, 72
Section 95.
(b) a locked container.

Yes, S94 (2) is the correct "law" for storage at home, but please reread the last nine words; "with the weapon’s bolt removed OR its action broken". It is that one little word,"or", that allows your encapsulated bolt firearm to be stored without having to dismantle it. As long as the bolt, for these types of firearms, is out of battery then it is deemed that firearm's action is broken.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 22 Oct 2018, 10:31 am

trekin wrote:Yes, S94 (2) is the correct "law" for storage at home, but please reread the last nine words; "with the weapon’s bolt removed OR its action broken". It is that one little word,"or", that allows your encapsulated bolt firearm to be stored without having to dismantle it. As long as the bolt, for these types of firearms, is out of battery then it is deemed that firearm's action is broken.

A very salient clarification.
Can anybody imagine going to the extreme of removing the bolt from a Browning BLR every time it was put in the safe.
There's even some gunsmiths who are reluctant to do that little task
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 22 Oct 2018, 12:35 pm

Patriot wrote:
TheDude wrote:
Pag 71, 72
Section 95.
(b) a locked container.

Yep dude is right apologies for the wrong advice! :D :drinks:
The other thing to remember is that yhere is a provision for the police to accept equivalent measures other than those set out in the regs at the commissioner's discretion so it MIGHT be worth writing to the commissioner's office and explaining the difficulties of removing the bolt(if it doesn't latch back ) and see what they say??? :unknown: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 24 Oct 2018, 3:18 pm

Gee, This gets very, very confusing!!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 24 Oct 2018, 3:26 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Gee, This gets very, very confusing!!

Amen father RJ.!!!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by perentie » 26 Oct 2018, 6:35 am

I have never had a problem when inspected here in QLD. I have a walk in vault and they all hang on the walls. I remove the bolts from bolt actions but the lever actions are closed. The Rolling Blocks are closed. Break actions are closed. To keep the breech block open on a rolling block the hammer has to be on full cock all the time. Not a good thing.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by gde64 » 20 Feb 2020, 4:02 pm

So how does one store a semi-automatic pistol with the action broken without damage to the spring ?
gde64
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 25 Feb 2020, 3:45 pm

How do you lads store your pumps? Do you just put a bit of rubber in to break the action?

When I get my licence I am going to get my lawyer to write to the commissioner to ask for an exception to use trigger locks when storing in the safe instead of breaking the action unless its an easily removed bolt action. They will probably decline but worth the shot.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Feb 2020, 4:37 pm

StraightWhiteMale wrote:How do you lads store your pumps? Do you just put a bit of rubber in to break the action?

When I get my licence I am going to get my lawyer to write to the commissioner to ask for an exception to use trigger locks when storing in the safe instead of breaking the action unless its an easily removed bolt action. They will probably decline but worth the shot.

Just leave the action open so it's obvious it's not loaded.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 25 Feb 2020, 6:19 pm

I have trigger lock on my straight pull shotgun and same for my lever rifle. Best practice I think esp travelling to a hunting trip. I been on hundreds of trips and never been checked but the day I do I don’t want to be caught sloppy ........ sometimes on the hunt I have two firearms on the quadbike. I have recently started chain and padlock one securely to the quad, just in case I end up walking half a k away from my quad. Never know who might turn up.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 25 Feb 2020, 10:02 pm

gde64 wrote:So how does one store a semi-automatic pistol with the action broken without damage to the spring ?

Depends on the model of pistol, some are easy to take down like the Ruger Mk IV, so they can be stored in pieces most will accept a breech flag and let you close the bolt (most of the way) onto it.

The 'bolt removed or action broken' is so that you can know that there isn't a round in the chamber ready to be fired accidentally, a trigger lock won't do that and if it is loaded the gun could fire whilst the lock is being removed.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws