Biometric safe legal in Australia

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Biometric safe legal in Australia

Post by Plinker » 16 Sep 2017, 8:24 pm

Hey guys, does anybody know if biometric (fingerprint access) gun safes are legal in Australia?
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Biometric safe legal in Australia

Post by doc » 16 Sep 2017, 8:39 pm

I see no reason why not. There's no specific regulations either way, so provided it locks security and meets criteria, they'd be fine.

But from a practical point of view I wouldn't go near them. My experience with biometric security is that it can be dodgy. Do some hard work with your hands, having a long bath, coming back from a swim, getting your hands dirty, etc all seems to mess with them and gets an invalid reading. Biometric seems to be more of a fad bred from holywood movies than being really practical - at least from all the readers I've used.

Looking at the effort that cops need to go to in order to get a good print reading on their new fancy machines - using moisturising lotion, and multiple attempts (at least from discussions I've had with operators). If those machines worth mega dollars still need TLC I imagine the cheaper Chinese sensors on the safes would be far less tolerant again.

Just my 2c worth.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by yoshie » 17 Sep 2017, 9:20 am

I worked in a Dep of Defence builing for a while on an electrical job, they had biometric security and it was a huge pain in the arse for them for the reason mentioned. They had retinal on the main enrty and finger and retinal on things like data rooms and secure ops rooms. Most of the time they malfunctioned and security had to open them with a key. If you change glasses or scan without them they dont work l. That was a multi million doller system so i don't like your chances of a couple of hundred dollar safe being any better.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by chewbacca » 17 Sep 2017, 9:56 am

Yes. Here is the guidelines for NSW:
Be fitted with a pick resistant deadbolt locking mechanism that is activated by either a six lever key, or pin/combination lock or biometric scanning
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Plinker » 17 Sep 2017, 12:30 pm

Thanks guys good info
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 17 Sep 2017, 6:40 pm

I personally wouldn't even touch one of those safes with electronic keypads let alone rely on a more complicated authorization method.I went out of my way to get a pure mechanical safe myself for this reason. Electronics fail, even high quality new stuff is not immune from defective chips and capacitors, stuff doesn't always last as many years as it should.The planned obsolescence they build into just about everything these days can tend to be a bit overzealous sometimes! Its great to able to fix a 3grand tv or hifi for a few bux,a safe is a whole other kettle!
Imagine it fails and you cant open your safe?
Don't get me wrong, i love tech and play with electronics regularly and am interested in this stuff, but its too soon to rely on at a consumer level yet.Just my 2c!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Sep 2017, 7:36 pm

I have two safes with keypads and keys. Both also have a master key to bypass the keypad.

One also has a battery pack you can plug into the safe to power the keypad in an emergency.

Both safes also work just with a key if you don't want to mess with the keypad.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Sep 2017, 7:47 am

I've got two safes with keypads. Both cost around $700, although one was incorrectly advertised at $500, I pushed on it and they honored the advertised price. :D
Both have been without any problems for the last 10-20 years. They are regularly accessed and I have only had to change the batteries in the 20 year old one once.
They both have an "override" master key that will unlock the mechanism in the case of battery failure. You just remove the keypad and the key fits directly into the mechanism behind it. As I said, I've only had to do this once. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by doc » 18 Sep 2017, 5:17 pm

Dunxy wrote:I personally wouldn't even touch one of those safes with electronic keypads

I used to think the same, but after getting one with a keypad, I wouldn't go back personally. The ease of access, not having to go to another room to get a key, go to the safe room, get my gear out, and then go back to the other room (which because of where my safe is located was no quick method) has been great.

As others have mentioned - my safe is dual access too. Mechanical and electronic - so when the electronics fail - I can still get in without hassles. (I just have to go for a walk to get the key from the other room like I used to). It just means I have a 2nd quicker and more convenient option of accessing the safe until the keypad fails. (In which it might outlive me at this stage). :)
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by chewbacca » 19 Sep 2017, 9:15 am

Based on what I am reading in this thread, Biometrics are a No No?
I am still keen on the Spika SCB1. Any thoughts?
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Sep 2017, 9:41 am

Trusted brand that has been around for a good while. That model is a pistol safe, is that what you are after?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by chewbacca » 19 Sep 2017, 9:43 am

Yes I am after a reasonable sized Pistol Safe with a Electronic Combo and key lock no more than 1 meter high
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Monty » 19 Sep 2017, 11:03 am

Plinker wrote:Hey guys, does anybody know if biometric (fingerprint access) gun safes are legal in Australia?

There doesn't seem to be anything specific regarding the access mechanism of the safe in Victoria, just the construction and installation of the safe itself.

SCHEDULE 4 STORAGE REQUIREMENTS
1 Longarm licences for category A and B longarms
(1) The firearm must be stored in a receptacle—
(a) which is constructed of hard wood or steel that is not easily penetrable; and
(b) which, if it weighs less than 150 kilograms when it is empty, must be fixed to the frame of the floor or the wall of the premises where the firearm is kept in such a manner that it is not easily removable; and
(c) which, when any firearm is stored in it, is locked with a lock of sturdy construction.

Here: http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retrieveme ... a_id=81634

Oddly information regarding the key to access the safe is missing from the A/B section, but present in C/D and Collector license sections.

The key to the container in which the firearm is
stored must—
(a) be carried by the holder of the licence; or
(b) be kept securely in a separate room from the container—when the container is not being accessed.

Nothing else regarding other locking and access systems I was able to see.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Return to Victorian gun laws